Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why disable slide stops on 2011?

ambluemax

I've never heard any sound logic for this common practice of disabling the slide stop on 2011s. Whenever I ask people the always say one should never slide lock in uspsa anyway...bit that doesn't really answer the question for me.

Does anyone have a logical answer?

I can't say for the 2011 specifically. I can tell you we did some experimenting with para ordnance high cap frames in the mid 90s when I was at Fort Bragg. Pistols were built in 45 ACP. Sometimes the pistols would lock open with ammo still in the magazine. Grinding away the slide stop a bit solve the problem on those pistols. I still have one and it runs great.

1) Over insertion can cause a major malfunction on a course of fire, thus, slowing you way down.

2) In Limited Division, where a large majority of folks use long loaded ammo, there is a chance the slide lock could be unintentionally activated, thus, slowing you down.

3) Thin mag followers can also cause activate the slide stop unintentionally, thus, sowing you down.

4) Running a gun to slide lock requires extra attention to get the gun back up an running, thus, slowing you down.

You see the pattern here.

Also, note, that if you have a good plan on a stage, running to slide lock should never be an issue. And if your plan involves running the gun empty/ slide lock, it isn't a good plan 99.9% of the time.

Don't forget the time lost pulling the trigger with the slide locked back and not realizing it is locked back.

Basic math(adding and/or subtracting) will keep the slide from locking back.

Rich

well, the same could be said pulling the trigger on a closed slide not realizing its empty.

The most important reason is that anytime I've tuned the mags for feeding bullets with light recoil springs, the bullets will push the slide stop up before the mag is empty thanks to the wider feed lip area.

I don't know about a lot of these other reasons being posted :P .

If you file the the tab of the followers the gun will not lock back and you will not have have to permanently

change the gun.

When the slide locks back in the middle of a stage you have take extra time to load a new mag and then

release the slide. In the middle of a stage you want to load a mag with a round already in the chamber -

faster since you don't have pull the slide back and release it.

Edited by Frankl03

Don't forget the time lost pulling the trigger with the slide locked back and not realizing it is locked back.

Basic math(adding and/or subtracting) will keep the slide from locking back.

Rich

well, the same could be said pulling the trigger on a closed slide not realizing its empty.

That's where the math comes into play, I know there is a game that stresses slide lock but it is best to never go to slide lock. When counting is used there will always be a round in the chamber. Not missing is another way to ensure there is a round in the chamber also.

Rich

If you file the the tab of the followers the gun will not lock back and you will not have have to permanently

change the gun.

When the slide locks back in the middle of a stage you have take extra time to load a new mag and then

release the slide. In the middle of a stage you want to load a mag with a round already in the chamber -

faster since you don't have pull the slide back and release it.

With properly tuned magazines, it is not the follower pushing up the slide stop, it is the ammunition. This is why it will lock back with many rounds still in the magazine. The slide stop must be modified to prevent this on substantially wider than factory feed lip spacings.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread and thinking a bit I decided to modify my mag followers but use an intact slide stop. I can use my 140mm Limited gun mags or the factory 15 round 126mm mags and both work as they should. The short mags lock the slide back (important for IDPA or L-10) and with the 140mm mags they hold 20+1 easily (my one magical mag holds 21+1) and don't lock the slide back early.

Edited by waktasz