Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what's the avg. weight for a 3gun AR?

DrLove

Anyone know how Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) gets their guns to be so light? I feel more re-assured that people are reaching high 8's to low 10's with their TacOp setups. I just thought I remember Triangle reporting almost a full pound lighter than what is being discussed here.

My two setups have me in TacOp at about high 9's to low 10's and TacIrons at about low to mid 7's.

only so many things I would think you could do. I could shed a nice chunk of weight by removing my 16.4" Lancer Octagon handguard that is thick and a little heavy, but fits my hand, and replace it with a lighter round carbon fiber tube that is maybe 12" long. The muzzle device can be an area where you would be surprised how much weight is added. My Miculek comp works well, but is kinda heavy and friggin LOUD....I'll replace it with something lighter and smaller when the opportunity arises, same as the handguard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know how Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) gets their guns to be so light? I feel more re-assured that people are reaching high 8's to low 10's with their TacOp setups. I just thought I remember Triangle reporting almost a full pound lighter than what is being discussed here.

My two setups have me in TacOp at about high 9's to low 10's and TacIrons at about low to mid 7's.

only so many things I would think you could do. I could shed a nice chunk of weight by removing my 16.4" Lancer Octagon handguard that is thick and a little heavy, but fits my hand, and replace it with a lighter round carbon fiber tube that is maybe 12" long. The muzzle device can be an area where you would be surprised how much weight is added. My Miculek comp works well, but is kinda heavy and friggin LOUD....I'll replace it with something lighter and smaller when the opportunity arises, same as the handguard.

Have you seen the Triangle Rolling Thunder? Not what I would call light. And AFAIK they're building with extended handguards, much like others. Also using 18" barrel minimum for 3-gun I believe. Btw, the Lancer's don't feel that heavy to me, especially when compared to the awesome but weighty JP modulars.

Have you seen the Triangle Rolling Thunder? Not what I would call light. And AFAIK they're building with extended handguards, much like others. Also using 18" barrel minimum for 3-gun I believe. Btw, the Lancer's don't feel that heavy to me, especially when compared to the awesome but weighty JP modulars.

Never had one of those.....was comparing to the AP customs handguard I had. Decent difference in weight, I just like the octagon shape.

Barrel length and profile, hand guard, stock and optic will make up the majority of the weight differences you see on the ARs listed here. After that you're talking ounces per item.. BCG, comp, buffer, lower, etc. It all adds up though.

Barrel length and profile, hand guard, stock and optic will make up the majority of the weight differences you see on the ARs listed here. After that you're talking ounces per item.. BCG, comp, buffer, lower, etc. It all adds up though.

Is this what Triangle did for you?

Heavier than I guessed.

18" Nordic barrel, Miculek comp, TAC30, rifle length Seekins SB3R, A2 stock = 9.5#

16" Rainier barrel, Miculek comp, Comp3, rifle length Seekins SB3R, A2 stock, poly NFA lower = 8.5#

My zombie gun w/ 16" pencil barrel, AAC flashhider, Trijicon RX30-25, Magpul forearm, CTR stock = 8# but with silencer is 9+#

I don't know why the weight was so low, it was a digital shipping scale that usually measures 50+ pound boxes and such but it shouldn't be *that* far off.

Does the weight for that setup seem like an outlier?

i

my gun is a 16" DD pencil barrel

7" ap custom handguard

non f/a upper

jp lmos

ace ultralight stock

dynamic resistance comp

DD irons

it comes in at 5 lbs 5oz so id guess your scale is a little off.

Follow up. I checked the weight of my rifle today on another scale today. This was a digital scale that measures in grams. I measured the upper and lower individually so that more of the weight of the object being measured was over the center of the scale.

Upper was 2160 grams (4.761 pounds)

Lower was 954 grams (2.103 pounds)

That gives a total of 6.864 pounds. This jives with my earlier number but since that number was in question before I wanted to ensure that this scale wasn't off too. There's an old triple bean scale here that has weights you can add, they have their actual weights engraved on the top. One was marked .59 pounds and weighed 267 grams (0.588 pounds) and the other was marked .295 pounds and weighed 134 grams (0.295 pounds).

I'm not sure what's different about my build that it weighs less but it does seem to weigh 6.8 pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd think that a lot of people are weighing theirs with scope and mount which can up the weight, especially with a Vortex 1X6.

Yes, when I weighed mine I did it as I would take it to the range, minus a magazine. After firing a friends lightweight carbine this weekend I like the weight of mine. His wasa little faster between targets, but mine was much more stable on target.