Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to get 13 year old son in USPSA

aandabooks

Little background: I am only 2 matches into shooting USPSA but I love it. My son has been shooting/hunting for about 3 years. Shooting pistols for about 2 years and is a pretty good and handles firearms well. The club I shoot at is primarily older shooters with a few young 20s. My son was a little standoffish about shooting with so many older guys. Last match we had an 11 and 14 year old show up. Said they normally shoot monthly. My son is now much more interested.

So with that said he is going to need a gun to use. I just bought myself a XDM9 5.25". He hasn't shot it yet. With my research in buying the SA, I really see 3-5 options for a gun for him to use in production. Here they are with some pro/cons:

1.) Glock 17-under $600, no adjustable sights, lead might be an issue, mags readily available

2.) Glock 34-under $700, adjustable sights, """"

3.) S&W M&P Pro 5"-Can't locate one, adjustable sights, lead not a problem, mags hard to find

4.) S&W M&P 4.25"-Low $500s, no adjustable sights,"". ""

5.) SA XDM 4.5"-Mid $600s, good range gear, mags easy to get, lead not a problem

6.) SA XDM 5.25"-$700s, I already have one so I obviously like it so far

Having him shoot my SA may rule 5/6 in or out depending on how he likes it. I'm leaning toward the Glock 17 but I reload alot of lead. If I can't run my reloads that is a huge problem. What way would you all go if you are starting up a 13 year old to shoot USPSA?

Edited by aandabooks

I would see if your club has a practice night. If so maybe he can try out some/all of the pistols mentioned. OR you could hope he likes the XD. LEAD thru a GLOCK is a huge NONO no matter what some people say!

Richard

Or go with one of the EAA witness it's a great platform, they run about $400 for the base gun and can run lead or jacketed bullets. They are very similar to the CZ-75's but generally are cheaper and have larger grips. The EAA witness-es are less common so you might have to do some searching if you are wanting upgrades but if you are running production it's a great out of the box gun! I bought one when I was 13 -2 years ago and have just finished making an open top end for it. Which is another thing about the witnesses I bought mine with a .22 conversion which makes practicing really cheap with the exact same gun!

Hope you get a gun you're happy with,

Will

Hadn't really considered the CZ lineup. Seemed like it would be out of my price range. Might have issues finding magazines in the local area.

EAA Witness is a polymer frame gun? My one LGS has a Tanfoglio in a steel frame which I believe is a EAA product, correct?

Seems like any of these guns would be a problem with finding accessories locally.

Well It depends I have an witness steel frame, but yes ther sre polymer framed witness-es around. YEs unless you were willing to order on the internet I doubt you would be able to find one. I personally dont regret buying mine online, it wasn't actually even hard. I know that there are some people dont want to order firearms online, but I don't mind it.

Buy him a revolver that way he can shoot every division except single stack :).

What do the other kids there shoot? Perhaps you could meet up with them and find out what they like shooting and why.

Regarding the Glock and lead - get a replacement barrel and shoot all the lead you want. I would have to confirm but I believe you can replace the barrel and still shoot production as long as you are replacing the barrel in the same caliber. Regarding the the other models (S&W, etc) check armslist. At least here in my area M&P's show up practically daily.

How about a used or inexpensive 1911 such as one of the Rock Island 1911's? He could shoot every division except production with that. You could start him off in single stack or limited 10 with a pistol like that.

As a dad that has gotten to shoot matches with all three sons you two are about to have some great times together. Good luck!

Both of the other kids were shooting G17s. My son is not a large kid. He has shot my Colt 1911 a couple of times but doesn't handle the recoil of the .45 well.

I'll have to make the rounds of my LGSs that I deal with and see what's out there. I'll get him out tomorrow morning to shoot my SA and that will rule that in or out.

I would recommend getting him an 5.25" XDM just like yours. Of the choices you laid out, it's the one best set up for competition shooting anyway. Plus, you don't want to create the perception that he is being provided gear that is inferior to yours, right? And, your guns can serve as back-up guns to each other at matches, in the event that one of you has a gun problem--same holster, mags, ammo, etc.

I do not like the idea of handing an EAA Witness, or any other gun that requires the hammer to be manually lowered, to a brand new junior shooter.

I started my son out in USPSA when he was 11 with a S&W Model 10 revolver. This is probably not the ideal choice for most junior shooters, but it worked out great for Sam. He's now 20 and an A-class shooter, even though he never practices--nice to be young and fast and still have good eyes.

I would see how he shoots the XDm in practice. If it works for him get him geared up with holster, belt, mags, pouches, etc. and share the gun at matches. Swap on the line under the command of the RO. As long as the gun is the only thing you are sharing it will not slow the match down at all. Not the sexy, which-gun-do-I-buy answer but the one I would do. Then at some point get him his own XDm, or give him yours and you move to Limited/SS/Revo.,etc.

Can't go wrong with a G34 and contrary to what others have said you can shot lead thru a Glock without issue, i've shot over 25,000 rds thru my G34 without issue before I got my KKM barrel. You'll need to clean your barrel often and be mindful of leading but other than that you should be fine. Check out the Glock sub forum for a pinned thread about shooting lead thru Glocks ... If that's all that's holding you back than a Glock 34 is a great choice. Never shot an M&P so I can't comment on them ...

Edited by Nimitz

Well I do understand where you are comming from with a EAA Witness there is no automatic de-cocker. So if you are shooting production with it you do need to manually lower the safety. But the whole to a "brand new junior shooter" I dont get, I think it made me more cautious shooter and overall better. I spent countless hours standing in front of a mirror practicing my hammer lowering and doubble action draw for IDPA. I have since switched from IDPA and using SA only. I personally liked the DA/SA of the EAA Witness, but at the end of the day our opinions here on the BE forums dont matter. It is really all about what your son wants to shoot.

Thanks,

Will

I like the suggestion to just get him what I am running to share gear and have backup guns for each other. Problem is that puts me way up in the $700s. My one LGS has one for $780. I only paid $675 OTD for mine. I'll see how he shoots it tomorrow.

I talked to my reloading guru about Glocks and he has absolutely no problems running lead in any of his. He didn't recommend buying a Glock though. He pointed me towards SA.

Try a few pistols and see what models you like and feel "right" shooting..... For me, I tried the M&P and I just do not like them.... My production guns are Glock 34, Glock 17, SIG P226 Scorpian, and 1911 S&W (DK in .45 and pro in 9mm).... CZ75 I go back and forth with....

He shot the XDM this morning. He shot it well once I got him to slow down a bit. Ran ran about 80 rounds this morning. Mostly at 7yards and at least half would have been "A" zone hits.

I can't seem to find S&W mags anywhere so I'm leaning toward the XDM to share equipment. The Glock 34 is still in the hunt.

Hey - new to the forum. I have a 14 year old son and just bought him a G17. I have a G34 and it's nice that everything is interchangeable. Mags, holsters triggers etc.

I would recommend getting him something that would have as much in common with yours as possible. Let's you experiment with holsters etc:)

Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Springfield all make very fine choices for striker-fired pistols for action shooting. My recommendation would be to bring him to a gun store that does rentals and have him try out some pistols from each of the three brands. The one that causes a chorus of angels to start singing in the background for him is likely the one for him to use.

But, yeah, if he shoots your Springfield and doesn't like it, you've narrowed your choices down. You shouldn't have a problem finding someone from your club with a Glock to have him try and I bet there is a decent change someone will be using an M&P also.

Don't worry about the sights on the glock as most ditch them anyway fixed or adj. For a glock 17 a police tradein can be had well under 600 and are good guns mechanically but have Been carried Add a set of good sights and the taran tactical connector and springs and run it