Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you do your own work on your open gun?

DrLove

I work on mine. sometimes I haven't made the best decisions though. but if you mess up you learn from it and buy another part and start over. I am afraid I like working on it too much. you need to shoot sometime.

Hello: I build them and shoot them. It just adds more fun to the shooting. I used to do the same when I raced cars. Thanks, Eric

You actually build them from scratch? As in buy a frame, barrel, fit them, etc? Nice, I'm not that far in the game yet. I can change a grip, install a mount, that's it :)

I started with fitting small parts as well. Then I bought a mill even though I had no clue what to do with one. Now I build my own from scratch farming nothing out. Shoots great and totally reliable. Heres my 9mm major

post-19787-0-85297000-1381971949_thumb.j

I'm kinda like a proud pappa.

Hello: I build them and shoot them. It just adds more fun to the shooting. I used to do the same when I raced cars. Thanks, Eric

You actually build them from scratch? As in buy a frame, barrel, fit them, etc? Nice, I'm not that far in the game yet. I can change a grip, install a mount, that's it :)

Yeah, Eric builds them from scratch so to speak and builds some damn fine guns! Not just open guns but limited guns and single stacks also. Everything from A to Z.

Pat

I would count myself among the shooters who enjoy the build as much or more than the shooting. If you're in this category buckle up! if you thought $4k for am Open gun is a lot of money, wait until you buy a mill, a lathe, a drill press and build three or four of them!

There are others who consider themselves race car drivers and leave the work to their pit crew.

The sport is about shooting, handloading, gun smithing, and collecting, theses facets hold different appeal for different shooters.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I shoot a Limcat and live 15 minutes from Johnny's shop. When I need something done to my gun I just run it over to him and he takes care of it right then. He prefers that I don't tinker with it and then take it to him to fix what I screwed up.

I do trigger jobs, fit small parts, etc. I can do just about anything except fitting the major componets, (frame, slide, barreI.) I WOULD try and tackle building my own gun, but I don't have a mill or room to put one either. (I live in a townhouse.)

A friend I shoot with, (BENOS username ExtremeShot), not only builds his own guns, he even makes his own compensators.

I started with fitting small parts as well. Then I bought a mill even though I had no clue what to do with one. Now I build my own from scratch farming nothing out. Shoots great and totally reliable. Heres my 9mm major

attachicon.gifF4433C4D-FB9F-444D-8F68-8537B73F6338-3237-00000151D1E52814_zps8e39ff1c.jpg

Nice looking shooter. I have a mill on the way and built mine too (friends mill). It runs but I am really i nterested in your finish? how did you do that?

I shoot a Limcat and live 15 minutes from Johnny's shop. When I need something done to my gun I just run it over to him and he takes care of it right then. He prefers that I don't tinker with it and then take it to him to fix what I screwed up.

I the same relationship with my gunsmith, Otto Matyska (Ottocomp). When I got my first open gun in 1987 he showed me how to take it apart, clean it and adjust the extractor. He told me that he knew I wasn't very mechanically inclined so if I broke something bring it in and it would be easier for him to fix it then instead of fixing what I screwed up. The hi-cap he built for me in 1993 is the gun I currently shoot. I replace the springs but the only things that have broken on the gun over the years have been a sear and the thumb safety and Otto replaced those promptly. At appx. 65k rounds I am on my second extractor.

Yup I know my limitations.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

I build my own custom revolvers, starting with some flavor of S&W. I have a complete machine shop in my back yard so I can make anything I want. Just finished a 6" .40 S&W with 6 lb. DA and fiber optic sights front and rear. Also built Open Revo for Bianchi Cup. I've done a lot of different ones over the years.

I know ExtremeShot too. He's pretty good with autos.

Edited by Toolguy

attachicon.gifF4433C4D-FB9F-444D-8F68-8537B73F6338-3237-00000151D1E52814_zps8e39ff1c.jpg

Want to mill a slide for me donny

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a mill too. What did you end up with?