Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade to Glock 34?

ES13Raven

I currently shoot a Glock 17 Gen4. I plan on shooting IDPA at least twice a month and going to sanctioned regional & state matches. Is it worth upgrading to the Glock 34 Gen4?

I would need to buy the G34 first ($850 with fees, tax & SSE), upgrade my Comp-Tac holster and switch over the sights.

If I like the G34 better - I would sell the G17 and holster to get most of my money back.

Is it worth upgrading?

Are you shooting SSP?? Or ESP ??

Reason I ask is that I use a G17 with an extended barrel which gives the gun more tolerance and barrel lenght equal to the G34...all for the $100 Lone Wolff barrel investment

post-49938-138186096935_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

There is no difference other than a tad bit more velocity and sight radius. The CZ Shadow and the 17 are pretty much equal on barrel length and the CZ is the cool aid to drink these days. Slide weight is supposed to be the same per specs. Depending on your draw technique then clearing the holster with the 17 is ever so slightly quicker in a game where .010s of secs count that can't hurt. Fundamentals are the same with either, use the sights and you will hit what you aim at. If you have someone that would let you borrow a G34 then take them and run them back to back in the el prez w/ 3 diff strings to see what you like and which feels the best.

I have both and don't think it is worth upgrading. The sight radius on the 34 is nice, but the 17 feels like it presents faster. I don't seem to shoot one much better than the other. I see a lot more difference dropping another size down to the 19.

It's worth buying a 34 and keeping the 17 if it does not come at the expense of practice.

I have a G22 with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel and tried a friend's G34 the other day, I did not find it any more accurate. He also had the really long 9mm Glock, forget the model number and THAT one was more accurate, but I don't think its legal for IDPA or USPSA - good for steel shooting.

I would buy the 34, and set it up solely for competition. Keep the 17 as a stock defense gun, but you still need to shoot it at local matches so you don't lose the feel of it.

This is what I did. I wanted a stock gun to carry, and a production legal gun with all the mods I could put in it. I shot the 17 for a little while until I got a 34, and I'm very happy with it.

Common wisdom is the G34, but keep shooting the G17. Its not holding you back. I have both. The extra sight radius is overrated. The 1911 also has the same sight radius as a 17 and we rarely talk about long slide 1911's. I shoot the G17 better in drill times, classifiers, and scores when I've tested it objectively. My transitions are better. I'm shooting a G17 Gen 4 too. Started with it Aug 2012, made ssp/ex with it a month later, and made ssp/ma this year. If you're still torn, borrow a friends 34 and time your drills. Then forget about the gun (either is fine)and practice.

I also have both and recommend you keep on shooting the 17.

Just not enough difference to justify that expense.

theKenny shoots with me and shoots both excellent.

Ha ha Damian,

When I was responding to this I was thinking of how you regularly smoke me with the 17 :)

For the OP,

my best USPSA classifier was with a 17.

I ran an IDPA classifier clinic (2 runs) on a practice night, one each with the 17 and 34

Time difference was negligable.

As the others have said, try some empirical based tests.

I actually ran the 17 last night in 3Gun with Extended mags and I would say for me that is one area the 34 has the 17 beat, with 23 rounds, the 34 balances better for me.

I also have both and recommend you keep on shooting the 17.

Just not enough difference to justify that expense.

theKenny shoots with me and shoots both excellent.

Ha ha Damian,

When I was responding to this I was thinking of how you regularly smoke me with the 17 :)

For the OP,

my best USPSA classifier was with a 17.

I ran an IDPA classifier clinic (2 runs) on a practice night, one each with the 17 and 34

Time difference was negligable.

As the others have said, try some empirical based tests.

I actually ran the 17 last night in 3Gun with Extended mags and I would say for me that is one area the 34 has the 17 beat, with 23 rounds, the 34 balances better for me.

Kenny's being modest, but he had ss/ma times with both guns. We got bumped together. I only beat him when he gets light strikes, which is often now because his ammo has small rifle primers. (jab at our brother Jerry) We need Federal primers to come back in stock.

Anyone that has used both extensively - do you find the 34 to be more accurate at 20+ yards?

No. The G17 and G34 can be set up identically. Barrel length has nothing to do with their accuracy. You are only looking at about 3/4 of an inch in sight radius difference. And, in IDPA, you won't be shoot at over 20y hardly at all, anyway.

How is your accuracy with the G17?

Anyone that has used both extensively - do you find the 34 to be more accurate at 20+ yards?

No. The G17 and G34 can be set up identically. Barrel length has nothing to do with their accuracy. You are only looking at about 3/4 of an inch in sight radius difference. And, in IDPA, you won't be shoot at over 20y hardly at all, anyway.

How is your accuracy with the G17?

Decent, but it can always get better. I was hoping a longer sight radius could help on stages like this:

http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2013/10/01/California-State-Championship-13-Stage-11-Accuracy-Speaks.aspx