Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the deal with all the 9mm 1911's?

Xhris

I guess I am missing something in the rules / classifications. I keep seeing post after post of 9mm 1911's, and I am not sure why?

Wouldn't a 9mm 1911 put you into Single Stack - Minor? I was always under the impression that the minimal change in the kick would never cover the point spread between major and minor, yet I see a ton of people shooting SS minor.

I also see quite a few people loading 147gr (or even 160) 9mm, couldn't you just shoot the 155 .40 and make major?

I really feel like I am missing something here...

The main use for mine is IDPA ESP. I have shot it a few times in IPSC single stack.

I have two a Trojan 9mm and just purchased a Spartan 5. Just a little tuning and these guns are a blast to shoot as well as cheaper. 9mm brass is laying everywhere, bullets are cheaper. More bang for the buck.

Real kick to shoot. My Trojan has 30,000 rounds through. Had a Kart barrel fitted last year, it shoots.

Fun to hit steel plates from across the bay with it. Slide to frame fit still tight. 9mm minor, the pistol will last a long time.

I shoot production with my CZ shadow and single stack with my SA 1911 9mm. I shoot one for 4 weeks then I find that I miss shooting the other - 9mm single stack is pretty tough to beat from the perspective of how fun it is to shoot.

With 9mm (minor) SS, the advantage you get is your mags can hold 10 vs the 40 or 45 1911 major shooters who can only have 8 in their mags.

I like the 9mm 1911 for two reasons.

First and by far the biggest factor for me is the price of ammo. Even reloading, I can load 9mm for so much cheaper than .40 or .45.

Second, my logic is as follows. If I shoot 9mm, I can practice significantly more due to cost savings plus the fact that I have limited range time. If I try to power thru a 2 hour session with a .45, I will be exhausted an hour into it and then might as well pack up and leave. However, I can comfortable train for up to 4 hours straight with a 9mm taking reasonable breaks without getting the vibrating feeling in my hands. I feel the extra training time helps my performance significantly more than the minor points deduct from my score.

Plus, I feel the argument for minor not being competitive was proven totally wrong when Dave Sevigny placed 2nd in Nationals this year shooting minor. Granted it was by mistake but still, it proves at the end of the day it is all about the shooter. I know that the minor loads cost him the title but look at how many major shooters he was able to beat!

A s are all scored the same regardless of major or minor.

I wanna see ya shoot all As :-)

Uh, I shoot with Red Ryder...that is all he shoots, save for the occasional "C" to mix things up.

I have to compensate somehow for my turtle slowness and mental blunders! B) Life is all about taking advantage of your strengths and minimizing weaknesses, or so I am told.

Edited by Red Ryder

• 2 weeks later...

I shot SS minor for 2 years and loved it. I started in D then made C then B. In SS 10 rounds gives you more freedom at the cost of some points. On a normal 32 round stage I am down and average of 6 points major, 12 points minor. If I make up 1.5 seconds shooting faster or using a different plan I am even or a little ahead. If I get sloppy I get my butt kicked. 8 rounds is pretty unforgiving on most stages.

I think the better a shooter you are the less time you make up with the extra rounds and lower recoil. I did win a few larger matches in C shooting SS minor but when I hit B it got a lot harder.

• 1 month later...

They're all just silly. 9mm is for glock/m&p/xd/cz and .45 is the only rightful caliber for the 1911 :roflol:

Either that, or 9mm 1911's are possibly the most hilariously fun pistol to shoot because of the tiny recoil and the trigger that just begs to be rapid fired....