Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith and Wesson 627

glocklover

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected it should be already cut for moon clips. Maybe the only real difference is the barrel length and a few other minor things between the PC and the Pro. With the cost difference between the two you can get a really nice trigger job done.

I really hope that Smith and Wesson remakes the 27-7 6.5'' 8 shot. I think only 100 were made. I saw one that Mike Carmoney's son had and it's perfect for USPSA.

Those guns are sweet. I own a few! :)

Edited by Carmoney

Nothing is wrong with the 627 Pro Series. The only problem is that the 4" barrel is not optimal.

?

Velocity? Weight? Sight radius? Won't stabilize bullets?

These are for shooting Minor, right...so guessing the velocity and weight wouldn't be much of an issue?

I have been thinking of picking up some 627 Pro's to replace my 627 PC's for ICORE Open Division. That would free up the 5" guns for iron sights in USPSA and let me put red dots on the short guns for ICORE. That should negate the lesser sight radius of the Pro series guns. Accuracy at 50 yards would be the only concern otherwise.

Sight radius...is this about right? http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/09/28/sight-radius-comparison/

(speaking in Glock)

If so, a 5in Revo would have a sight radius about like a Glock 17? A 4in Revo would have a sight radius about like a Glock 19?

yes, sight radius. I think most shooters prefer the balance of the 5"guns. BUT, I think it matters less shooting minor.

Edited by Carmoney

jlamphere,

I recently asked if the 627 could be changed from 6 to 8 shot. I was informed, by those that know, yes it can be done but it's cost prohibitive. In additon, I was told the frames are sized differently for the two cylinder variations, so it's not feasible but can be done.

you can't convert a 6 shot N-frame to a 8 shot. (Not without a bunch of machine work, $) The 8 shot frame is bored offset higher than the 6 shot frame. If I get the chance, I'll pull the barrel off of one of my 6 and 8 shots so you can see what is actually going on the two frames

John, is this Charlies P. design? Gene would offset the bore in the barrel. Setting the barrel off center the amount needed and cut the back part and then thread the barrel. But he had to make the barrels from a barrel blank. It is a lot of work either way you go and just plain easier to get 627 or 327, if one can be found. later rdd

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting into the Revo game. Can you get a 6 shot cylinder for the 627 and change it out with the 8 shot? Something tells me the timing would not be right, but I know nothing about these guns.

I don't think this works on the 627

the 686 might be able to go from 6 to 7 shot but the earlier 6 shot 627's should have different frames than the current 8 shot ones

Nothing is wrong with the 627 Pro Series. The only problem is that the 4" barrel is not optimal.

?

Velocity? Weight? Sight radius? Won't stabilize bullets?

These are for shooting Minor, right...so guessing the velocity and weight wouldn't be much of an issue?

I would say that the sight radius is the problem with the 4". ICORE and USPSA have some demanding shots that require a little more precision. In IDPA, a 1" barrel would be fine. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I know the 627 9mm has been rumored about for years, but imagine they actually existed, would this be the setup to have? I assumed the tapered case and higher pressures would make them sticky on extraction and I have not seen many reloads that didn't seem to hourglass at least a little bit working the brass with every reload. There is a lot of chatter over on the Smith forum and there have been more than a couple vendors lately hinting at them as I have been ordering clips etc for my new Super.

Lee