Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DD alpha ShotMaxx Timer

Ken_Bird

Try charging it with a Samsung cell phone charger.

Just last week sonething similar happened to mine. It was not charging past 2% off the SHOTMAXX charger. I flashed the latest updated OS onto the timer, and it still would not charge. So I sent an e-mail back Double Alpha inquiring how to send the timer back for a battery change. AA got back to me right away and asked me to try a few simple tasks to see if the fault was with the timer, charger cable or charger itself.

With nothing to loose, I had plugged my timer into my Samsung phone charger since the connections were the same. Bingo! It charged up to 100% when I went to get it to try AA's fault isolation steps. It now charges perfectly on the SHOTMAXX timer. I have no idea why, but it works fine now.

My props to AA on the super fast response to my email inquiry. I was not expecting such a high level of customer service. :goof:

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here's one for anyone. My shot timer went dead (battery charge). I've plugged it in to an outlet. After a while the numbers show, but when I pick it up the screen goes blank.

When I plug it into my computer to try and reflash it, the shotmaxx program doesn't see the shotmaxx as connected.

Any suggestions?

I had issues with the battery reading 1%. I tried 4 different cables to find one that held a charge. I think the trick is to use a cable that will hold a charge prior to flash. I flashed three consecutive times with a cable that read and flashed using that line. Firmware updates are my nightmare, but this worked....

Edited by A-shot

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's one for anyone. My shot timer went dead (battery charge). I've plugged it in to an outlet. After a while the numbers show, but when I pick it up the screen goes blank.

When I plug it into my computer to try and reflash it, the shotmaxx program doesn't see the shotmaxx as connected.

Any suggestions?

I had issues with the battery reading 1%. I tried 4 different cables to find one that held a charge. I think the trick is to use a cable that will hold a charge prior to flash. I flashed three consecutive times with a cable that read and flashed using that line. Firmware updates are my nightmare, but this worked....

Hi All,

You should note that there are two types of these USB cables - one for charge only and the other is for Data. Trying to Flash your SM with a charge cable will be indeed a nightmare since it will never happen. You need a Data cable to Flash the device.

Hope it helps,

Eli.

for further questions - email me directly at eli@doublealpha.biz

• 3 months later...

I'm having issues with my shotmaxx. When I first got it, the screen was blank and I tried to start it up by holding MODE and SET for 3 seconds. Nothing happens. I put the cable in, and the screen turns on. I let it charge to 96%. I then try to put it in lock mode, change it to stopwatch mode and hold MODE and SET for 3 seconds, and nothing happens. The screen is still on. Been playing around with it all day and it doesn't turn off and will only turn on if I plug the charger in. Did I get a dud?

My Shotmaxx started to act wierd….

Sometimes not picking up the last shot on the string, even when on the highest setting, seems like the microphone is ok, when I clap next to it, it picks it up.

Also when it reaches about 75% battery level, the buzzer dies then the timer loses its charge.

Yesterday the beep type 1 started going out… seems like type 1 will be over soon. Type 2 still works as we speak….

It has the newest filmware.

I am on my 3rd Shotmaxx now, 1st got exchanged due to similar issues. 2nd got exchanged due to microphone faulty.

Type 1 died today at practice, then I switched to type 2 beep and its dead also.

When I press down on the microphone housing it beeps….

Exact same issues like my first, and second timer.

Well it worked for a whole month….

Sometimes not picking up the last shot on the string, even when on the highest setting, seems like the microphone is ok, when I clap next to it, it picks it up.
Also when it reaches about 75% battery level, the buzzer dies then the timer loses its charge.
Yesterday the beep type 1 started going out… seems like type 1 will be over soon. Type 2 still works as we speak….
I am on my 3rd Shotmaxx now, 1st got exchanged due to similar issues. 2nd got exchanged due to microphone faulty.
Type 1 died today at practice, then I switched to type 2 beep and its dead also.

So strange. I use mine a lot and I have had it for close to a year and unless I let the battery get really low it has been flawless.

Have you done the firmware updates? Mine would die at 67% battery when I first got it but the firmware update fixed it immediately.

Have we got a fix for the rubbish blue tooth interaction on android phones and tablets yet?

Oddly enough I was not been able to make it work since the latest firmware update with my 2..3 year old Android 4 devices, but apparently the same demo app from SMXX Android SDK works on my new phone (also android 4).

Here are direct link to the Android app apk file from the SDK zip archive in case if anyone want to play with it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v787xa3balkgqv/shotmaxx-demo2.apk

I'm having issues with my shotmaxx. When I first got it, the screen was blank and I tried to start it up by holding MODE and SET for 3 seconds. Nothing happens. I put the cable in, and the screen turns on. I let it charge to 96%. I then try to put it in lock mode, change it to stopwatch mode and hold MODE and SET for 3 seconds, and nothing happens. The screen is still on. Been playing around with it all day and it doesn't turn off and will only turn on if I plug the charger in. Did I get a dud?

Hi,

The "lock" mode serves no purpose whatsoever. It is tricky to get it locked, but possible. Again, it serves no real purpose so I would just leave it unlocked.

You need to charge the timer for 4 hours straight before starting to use it. Battery indicator could be misleading occasionally.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eli.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up having a problem with mine yesterday, it was in my gear bag at a match, and it let out a series of beeps when I took it out the left hand buttons, mode and set do not seem to function. I can't change the mode from the watch. any thoughts?

If it is "recording" (e.g. you pressed the Start button somehow) the left and top right buttons won't do anything until you press the REV button. If it still doesn't work after you press the REV, just plug it into a charging source with the USB cable for at least 30 seconds. After you unplug it it should reset. Also, make sure to let it charge for several hours as the battery indicator can sometimes be incorrect.

IS there some trick getting the shotmaxx to work with an android phone? I can't get to work for nothing. Sometimes it will connect but it never seems to communicate with the training app.........

IS there some trick getting the shotmaxx to work with an android phone? I can't get to work for nothing. Sometimes it will connect but it never seems to communicate with the training app.........

If you have upgraded to Android OS 5, you must make sure that you are running ShotMaxx Trainer v1.3.2. Google broke the Bluetooth and we had to modify the app so it would work again with OS 5.

If you have upgraded to Android OS 5, you must make sure that you are running ShotMaxx Trainer v1.3.2. Google broke the Bluetooth and we had to modify the app so it would work again with OS 5.

Hmm. Shouldn't it be updated in SM SDK?.. I can't make the demo app from SDK work on 4 out of my 5 devices and only one of them has Android 5.

I do have version 1.3.2........

And OS 5.0.1....

What Android device do you have? Have you tried rebooting it? Also make sure that the SM watch is flashed to 3085. To sort of soft reset the SM, plug it into the USB charger for at least 30 seconds. To hard reset it reflash it with the 3085 firmware.

The issue that we've seen on the Android platform is that there are thousands of different devices, different manufactures, different Bluetooth (BT) hardware, etc. Unlike Apple iOS where everything works exactly the same, the Android BT can vary significantly between manufactures/devices. Some devices just will not work because of their BT hardware is not very good or that they are doing something very odd software wise on the BT. We had to write our own API on the Android platform to make the Samsung S5's work. We had to "undo" what Samsung was doing (trying to be too smart and running DSP on the waveforms) to the BT waveforms. That fix would also work for any other manufactures were doing the same thing as Samsung. Unfortunately it would be impossible for us to have every device out there for testing and trying to make it work, so there are going to be some devices that it just may not work with.

Hmm. Shouldn't it be updated in SM SDK?.. I can't make the demo app from SDK work on 4 out of my 5 devices and only one of them has Android 5.

I guess it depends on the device. For OS 5, it would not be an SDK fix. Google had changed it so that unless you were doing the exact right calls it was switching to the internal microphone instead of the BT headset.

The only way you can tell what is going on with those non-working devices would be to dump the raw waveforms out and look at them. They should all be consistent (same amplitude and shape). For example on the Samsung S5's, you could clearly see that the longer the waveform was playing, the greater the amplitude of the waveform. We had to write a compressor/limiter to deal with that. My guess is that there are other scenario's that are also causing issues with some devices.