Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DD alpha ShotMaxx Timer

Ken_Bird

Hi Scott,

I just had a communication with CED and Charles mentioned that he did not advise such a thing, but perhaps it was a miscommunication with another staff member?

Anyway, there are lots of benefits in using the SM over other timers:

- Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party applications (BT protocol is currently being enhanced to work more accurately and faster)

- True Spy Mode based on hand movement (monitor your own performance during stages and compare your time with the RO's time for your own reference)

- Accelerometer/motion sensor to record shots vs. plain microphone/audio method

- Wrist worn vs hand held or belt clipped

- Truly compatible with Airsoft (picks up shots from 2-3 yards away)

It is your choice of course if you want to send it back to CED, not sure what their return policy is for used products though...

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eli,

My SM only shows 99 and 100% batt. levels. 100 when fully charged and 99 anywhere below full. I was dryfiring w/ it yesterday when the beep suddenly sounded a very soft buzzer then after about a min. the display went off. It took me some time to realize that its batt. was fully drained as I checked it was 99% before I started. I plugged it to an iphone charger and it went ON immediately and showed 99% batt. level. After more than an hour it showed 100. Afterwards I used it in the range the whole afternoon. This morning its at 99 % again and it wont go down from that even after a lot of use. So it validates my suspect that its showing erroneous batt. lev. readings. Is this another bug from the latest FW?

Hi Eli,

My SM only shows 99 and 100% batt. levels. 100 when fully charged and 99 anywhere below full. I was dryfiring w/ it yesterday when the beep suddenly sounded a very soft buzzer then after about a min. the display went off. It took me some time to realize that its batt. was fully drained as I checked it was 99% before I started. I plugged it to an iphone charger and it went ON immediately and showed 99% batt. level. After more than an hour it showed 100. Afterwards I used it in the range the whole afternoon. This morning its at 99 % again and it wont go down from that even after a lot of use. So it validates my suspect that its showing erroneous batt. lev. readings. Is this another bug from the latest FW?

Please update to the latest firmware available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Note that we will be releasing a new FW in the next week or so.

It is advisable to all to update to the latest firmware available at all times. Currently it is 3049. Instructions at the link above.

Thanks,

Eli.

Hi Eli,

Please update to the latest firmware available here: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Note that we will be releasing a new FW in the next week or so.

It is advisable to all to update to the latest firmware available at all times. Currently it is 3049. Instructions at the link above.

Thanks,

Eli.

3 days after updating to 3049 its down to 97% w/o any shooting activity. I think its fixed. Thanks.

SHOTMAXX problem. Unit worked during two range outings including linking and transmitting data to my iPhone but now there is no BEEP to signal timer start and no BEEP when I set a PAR value. I have changed the BEEP type between 1 and 2 - same problem. The battery is charged. When I set the alarm with either a type 1 or 2 BEEP the alarm sound is a soft fairly high frequency tone with a clicking sound about every one second.

Everything else seems to be working except the BEEP. All I want to know is where's the BEEP. :roflol:
Anybody else had the same problem?

Rich, yes I have had the same problem. The easiest way to fix it is to Reflash it again. You can reflash it with the most current version (3049 at the time of this post), even if that is what you already have on it. They are working on fixing the way that the commands are sent from the device to the SM and should be more robust with the next update. It needs more "error correction" when transmitting to the SM and I think that on occasion the data to the SM gets corrupted and then the SM acts oddly. Reflashing will fix that for now.

I'm happy to see most posters are interested in working with double alpha to solve problems with the SHOTMAXX timer instead of just trashing it when they have an issue. As an Engneer I know how difficult it is to field a product that can't be broken by a user. I've got some suggestions for the company but they are on hold until the current issues are put to bed.

We have found in some rare occasions that the sound wafer inside the wrist add-on gone faulty. The problem was identified and we are working with the buzzer manufacturer to rectify this.

In these cases we swiftly replace those faulty timers for our customers at no charge.

Here is how to troubleshoot a buzzer failure:

- Ensure that your SHOTMAXX is fully charged (3-4 hours of charge time)

- Ensure Beep Type is set to either 1 or 2

- Always run the latest firmware (http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/)

- Reflash the unit anyway

Thanks,

Eli.

Eli,

So I have been doing some more dry fire testing of my Shotmaxx and found something interesting related to picking up dry fire hammer falls. After reflashing the FW it seems to be picking up the hammer drops better, but it seems like it will only pick them up after 1.5 seconds. See attached video in link below. In the video you can see that if I pull the trigger after the beep finishes, but before about 1.5 seconds it does not pick it up. But if I time it right and pull the trigger after 1.5 seconds, it will pick up that hammer drop and others after that point. Any recommendations? In the video the SM is set for Airsoft sensitivity, I have tried every filter setting between .02 and .12.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6a0PF2w2WsMRTZhQTRsQ0NsU3M/edit

Thanks,

Scott

As you can see in the video, it is turned inwards, and reliably picks up the hammer falls after about 1.5 seconds and all drops after that. Anything before 1.5 seconds it does not pick up. Not to sound like a d*ck....but that's my point in my last post. Even though Eli and DAA specifically have said this is not supported, I am wondering if it is a problem specific to my unit since so many SM users have posted that they can do dry fire hammer drops with no problems.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Eli. I will email you shortly. I could only wish to have a sub 0.60 second draw for Steel Challenge. Ha ;) I am just hoping to break 1.0 but currently around 1.1

The timer would pickup sub 0.60sec shots but not in Airsoft or Max sensitivity modes which are not the right settings anyway for large bore.

Hello everyone - please update your SM timer with the newly released firmware available at the bottom of this page: http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx/shotmaxx-shot-timer

THIS IS A CRITICAL UPDATE - everyone must re-flash their SM timer with the latest version 3085.

The user manual has been updated as well - ensure you go through it before emailing us with your questions. Most things can be resolved by reading the manual.

NOTE: since this release incorporates new communication protocol, your existing apps for the SM will not work UNTIL THE DEVELOPERS RELEASE AN UPDATE which will most probably take place in the next week or so.

We will send out a mailing list detailing what has been done with the latest version so please make sure you are listed on www.doublealpha.biz and your are set to receive our newsletter.

As always, feel free to email me with any questions you may have at eli@doublealpha.biz

Thanks,

Eli.

I would love to have a change log posted somewhere so we know what else to expect.

Thank you for the continued updates. I am looking forward to enhanced app compatability.

Is anyone else having problems downloading the firmware update?

Eli, I was able to get the new firmware from the link you posted, but if I go to shotmaxx.com and try to get the file it doesn't work... this is the link I'm talking about: http://www.shotmaxx.com/support/

Edited by wchangose