Best 1911 9mm for competition

anderson22

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not even going to answer this, because it's impossible and 100% based on variables.

That said, there are certain companies and individuals who are praised highly for their work. By far the biggest company in the competitive shooting arena is STI.

If price is a consideration, rock island ( or any of the armscor brands) are very good for the money. They certainly aren't the best available but pretty darn good overall. Only thing I would warn is mine doesn't like hollow point ammo, I assume due to the non ramped barrel. Other than that pretty solid.

I'm not even going to answer this, because it's impossible and 100% based on variables.

That said, there are certain companies and individuals who are praised highly for their work. By far the biggest company in the competitive shooting arena is STI.

True, I kinda like the sti. I also hear alot about the springfield... Thanks guys for the input..

Filipino 1911s, including Spartans, generally have a very steep barrel ramp feed angle. They benefit from having a good ramp/barrel throating job to improve feed reliability.

Good guns otherwise.

Spartan's don't have ramped barrels. The Trojan does. The Trojan 40 had a reputation for the steep ramp, I never could get my 40 to run no matter what length of ammo I tried. My Spartan 9mm with the standard barrel has fed everything I have tried, round nose, flat point, hollow point. Can't over emphasize, GET GOOD MAGS!

I am using an STI Trojan with Dawson mags. There is nothing I don't like about it and it is super reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's my experience as well...the Trojan is hard to beat and the Dawson mags run perfectly.

:cheers:

Curtis

- Buy any 9mm 1911

- Buy a bunch of reputable mags (Wilson, Dawson or Tripps)

- Work up load and play with springs until the gun almosst runs.

- Send gun, mags, ammo and $500 to a good 1911 'smith.

Wish I was joking. Anyone who considers a 40/9mm to be competition ready out of the box is either damn luck or in serious denial.

Well, there must be a bunch of us that are just "lucky" or in denial. My 5" Spartan 9mm has NEVER had an issue that wasn't ammo-specific that I caused with my reloads. I shoot it in USPSA and use Dawson mags, it simply runs.

My 9mm SA EMP had extraction issues out of the box, but that was resolved easily with proper extractor tension. Hrmm, guess I'm just lucky!

Wait, let me guess, you shoot a Glock don't you?

Edited by polizei1