Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standing reload Question

Racinready300ex

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I've thought about this is like a basketball pivot, You can move one foot, but if you lift the second off the ground your gonna get hit for it, but maybe that just my interpretation of the rule.

Edited by dafdov368

I don't think moving a foot is a PE. The rules are not that specific. You cannot move towards the next shooting position, but this is not now a game of "freeze tag" where you can only move your arms to perform the reload and all other body parts must remain frozen in position.

As long as you do not high tail it to the next position (as we did in the past when behind cover) you can do the twist, jumping jacks, or deep knee bends while you reload (as long as you do it safely) as far as I care when I'm the SO as long as you stay where you were when you started the reload or ran dry.

I don't think moving a foot is a PE. The rules are not that specific.

Specific?

3.9.4. Advancing or moving while reloading behind cover is defined as either lifting a foot off the ground or sliding a foot along the ground. The shooter may pivot on one foot or move the torso, as long as the pivot foot does not lift or slide.

I don't think moving a foot is a PE. The rules are not that specific.

Specific?

3.9.4. Advancing or moving while reloading behind cover is defined as either lifting a foot off the ground or sliding a foot along the ground. The shooter may pivot on one foot or move the torso, as long as the pivot foot does not lift or slide.

\

Oops. That's what I get for reading the early draft version of the new rules before my first cup of coffee was gone. My bad. No twist or jumping jacks allowed.

Both feet stay put. Simple as that. Doing anymore than that may result in a PE.

"The shooter may pivot on one foot or move the torso, as long as the pivot foot does not lift or slide."

That seems pretty clear to me that you can move 1 foot, but the other must stay put. However, as usually happens when you try to eradicate the idea of 'freestyle', interpretations may vary by tribe.

Just based on one match, it appears that one of the big challenges facing the SO team is that for this particular rule, they need to be watching the gun - and the shooter's feet at the same time.

I'm of the belief that the primary SO should be focused on the gun. Hard to really expect that person to also consistently watch a shooter's feet. So maybe it's the scorekeeper who watches the shooter's feet. Of course, the score keeper is often watching from a different direction - and may not have an unobstructed view of the gun.

It's just a silly rule. And one that's going to be tough to police reliably and consistently. When we start handing out procedurals for this - it's going to quickly become one of our most hated rules.

My own personal interpretation - as long the shooter isn't taking obvious steps, I won't be calling anything.

Fascinating.

Having encountered so many SOs who were already fixated on and fascinated by feet and knowing they now have yet another validating perspective to watch them, a cynic would wonder if the IDPA "P" is indeed for "Pistol" and not "Podophiliac" - or perhaps "Procedural"....

Craig

"The shooter may pivot on one foot or move the torso, as long as the pivot foot does not lift or slide."

That seems pretty clear to me that you can move 1 foot, but the other must stay put. However, as usually happens when you try to eradicate the idea of 'freestyle', interpretations may vary by tribe.

Thanks Moto. Maybe my club needs to revise how they're enforcing this rule.

3 weeks ago while reloading, I took a step forward with my right foot w/o my left foot ever moving. Caught myself, stepped back with the right, ate a PE, finished the reload, cursed a few words, finished the CoF.

3 weeks ago while reloading, I took a step forward with my right foot w/o my left foot ever moving. Caught myself, stepped back with the right, ate a PE, finished the reload, cursed a few words, finished the CoF.

This is rediculous. I know there are people that think that anything that a particular brand does is awesome but how can anyone enjoy this?

This is exactly the scenario I fear. Doesn't sound like you gained any advantage by moving that foot. You even lost time by moving your foot back. And then still got a PE. It's this sort of anal interpretation of the rules that threatens to strangle IDPA.

This is exactly the scenario I fear. Doesn't sound like you gained any advantage by moving that foot. You even lost time by moving your foot back. And then still got a PE. It's this sort of anal interpretation of the rules that threatens to strangle IDPA.

+1,000,000,000