Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally did it...empty mags in pouch

Panic Flinch

I read about it all the time Who would go to the line without loaded magazines? At the FNH3 gun competition a few weeks ago I loaded my magazine and put it in my cargo pants pocket. The other two magazines were loaded from the day before. First stage of day two...When I went to the line I shot my first magazine empty from my cargo pants pocket and went to reload....Both of those mags on my belt were empty! I was sure that they were loaded from the day before and I didn't even check. I took 70 seconds penalty on that stage.

Never again

Yea, that's tough luck. What I will always do is if I ever put a mag into a pouch that is not fully loaded, I will put it in pointing backwards. That way before I go up to shoot, I just look down and make sure all my mags are pointed forward, therefore full.

I have been having a bit of issue with pulling mags from pouches other than the front most available one. I think it is from going from production back to limited though, so hopefully more practice will iron that one out.

... Won't happen again.

If you shoot long enough, yes, eventually it will.

I said the same thing a few years ago and damned if it didn't happen to me the last local club match. Started a stage with half full (ok, half empty) mag. With an open gun, that sucks, especially when I didn't need to reload on the stage.

... Won't happen again.

I said the same thing a few years ago and damned if it didn't happen to me the last local club match. Started a stage with half full (ok, half empty) mag. With an open gun, that sucks, especially when I didn't need to reload on the stage.

I've never put a partially loaded mag back in my belt, so I've never had it happen to me. If you've done it twice you might want to change your routine. ;)

... Won't happen again.

I've never put a partially loaded mag back in my belt, so I've never had it happen to me. If you've done it twice you might want to change your routine. ;)

Was Match Director, running around keeping things going, using my 3 gun cart, threw my half mag in the cart (with a full one ready to go). My name is called to shoot, I reach in cart and grab wrong mag...didn't even notice the weight...and now you know the rest of the story.

I did it at the He Man 3gun Nationals this year. I have always had a practice of NEVER putting a magazine back in a pouch unless it was ready to go. I still don't know how I had one in the pouch that only had six rounds in it (I think that four of them disappeared due to the altitude and lack of humidity, don't know why it only affected one magazine). When the gun ran dry, I looked at it like I had never seen it before (my daughter has it on video), then made a reload and went on. I hope that this is the last time that it happens to me.

Hurley

Yep, I did this during my first Area level match. Our squad was running behind and in the rush I put a mag with 4 rounds on my belt and found out on the next stage as the last round in that mag took down the popper that activated a disappearing Maxtrap. At least there weren't penalties on top of the two mikes.

Part of my pre shoot routine is that when my name is called as the 'on deck' shooter that is my que to take out each mag in turn on my belt and check for 10 rds. Lastly I take out the mag in my pocket with the blue base pad and check that it has 11. If something stupid has happened I can easily walk to my range pack and grab a full mag.

Routine is your friend in this sport. Make one up, practice it until it is subconscious and then during a match never deviate from it ...

I feel your pain... I did the same darn thing a week ago.

Either I didn't check my mags and left one from a previous stage or grabbed a short-loaded leftover in my 1st mag pouch.

Shot my first mag, moved, reloaded, hit a target, transitioned then went pop-nothin. I think I was riding my slide stop too (whoops) as the tap-rack drill locked the slide to the rear.

The 3 seconds it took me to see the problem and get the darn gun fed cost me a couple spots on the stage and I was really surprised to win the division that day...

I will definitely be checking each mag before stepping up to the line in the future.

Last weekend I was very lucky. Previous stage I used two mags. At the end I clear my weapon and made the rookie mistake of putting the partial mag back on my belt. I pick up my dropped mag and reload it prepping for the next stage. Next stage I start with a full mag go through the stage make a mag change to finish. On my last shot I was at slide lock. The mag I grabbed off my belt only had 6 rounds. No partial or empty mags go back on the belt. I got lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing this past weekend. I shoot single stack and it was only one mag. I grabbed it and started to slap it in when I noticed it was empty. Fortunately I was able to drop it and grab the next one which was loaded. But you are all right, of course, empty mags should not go into the pouch. One lesson learned for me. Of course I still have a million more to learn.

When you watch MLB pitchers, they follow the same tap-lick-touch-step-whatever routine before every pitch. When you watch golfers get ready for a putt, even a 4-footer, they go through the exact same routine every time. Therefore, they never need to think about what to do.

Choose a routine, whatever you believe works and then never deviate. Running match, though, would seriously impinge on the ability to focus on routines.

Yes Yes Yes on the routine ! I make it a point to 1) not place any light loaded mags in my pocket or back in their carriers on my belt and 2) while holding them in my hands, go reload them. I'll walk to score,then visit a bit after shooting, but with the mags in my hands.

Happened to me at the State IDPA match. I had an empty mag on my belt for the equipment check. Of course no equipment check and I never replaced the mag. First stage had 2 reloads with retention, needless to say I was screwed. I didn't have enough rounds to finish without fishing in my pockets and I ended up grabbing a partial and ran dry. Not a good way to start a major match. I check each mag before the buzzer now.

Since I shoot L-10 and shoot with full size mags, I've actually put a big silver sharpie mark on the 10-round window. It makes it much faster to quickly check that mags are loaded to the legal max.

With +5 mag extensions, though, I bet the only way to make sure you are max loaded would be your routine. Develop one and never deviate. Well, that is, until you do... I hope I never join that club!