Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parts That Break - What to have in your rangebag?

saibot

Hey Glock experts (Glexperts?), I just switched to a Glock for shooting USPSA Production which also happens to be my first Glock. Just to ensure that it keeps running I thought I'd get an order of spare parts together for my range bag, but didn't know what to even order. So what spare parts should I have with me during a match? And at what intervals should I proactively replace things?

And just FYI, it is a Gen4 G34 with the Vanek Classic trigger kit with the Jager lightened striker, and a Jager/ISMI 13# recoil spring. I through all of the parts I replaced into a Ziplock and put them in my range bag for now. Anything else?

Thanks, all!

Glock does not have that many parts. I would suggest getting a replacement for everything. If not, then I would get the following:

- Extractor

- The three frame pins (had one break on me in a match)

- Magazine springs

- another recoil spring

- competition spring pack....

but again I would suggest just getting a replacement for each part.

My two cents,

Adam

Glock does not have that many parts. I would suggest getting a replacement for everything. If not, then I would get the following:

- Extractor

- Magazine springs

- another recoil spring

My two cents,

Adam

that's a good list, but you can buy all the essential parts for a glock for less then $100,minus the barrel of course, or you can buy you another glock as a backup.

- Extractor

- Magazine springs

- another recoil spring

My two cents,

Adam

that's a good list, but you can buy all the essential parts for a glock for less then $100,minus the barrel of course, or you can buy you another glock as a backup.

I found bringing a backup gun works best. In 3 years I haven't had one part break on any of my GLOCKs. Now I am off to find a piece of wood to knock on.

Only problems I had in a match were spring related. I carry a parts box with enough stuff to build another gun, and never use it. At larger matches I'll bring a spare gun to use or rob parts from.

A set of pins and springs (the lot, including a mag spring).

Only thing that ever happened to me was that I had a locking block pin work loose and fall out - only noticed after about 3 range sessions...didn't make any difference to function. :bow:

Great list of stuff! I never would have guessed the pins might break but it seems several of you have had it happen so I'm getting some spares. I placed an order for these parts:

DISASSEMBLY TOOL
FIRING PIN SPACER SLEEVE
SLIDE COVER PLATE
MAG CATCH SPRING
TRIGGER PIN
TRIG HOUSING PIN
MAG SPRING G17 - STD 10 COIL
EXTRACTOR 9MM W/LOADED CHAMBER
MAGAZINE FLOOR PLATE 9,40,357
LOCKING BLOCK PIN
SLIDE LOCK SPRG 17,20,22 & GN4

In addition to that I have all of the factory parts I replaced that I'll add to the kit. Next to having a second gun, this should fix most anything that could go south on me.

Thanks for the help!

In 1 1/2 yrs and closing in on 46,000 rds I've only replaced springs. Every Jan all springs except mag release get replaced and otherwise every 2,000 rds a new recoil spring, that's it ....

So your the guy with all the bullets and primers!!!! Probably sage advice, preventative measures can prolong the life of certain parts. For example I broke a trigger pin and someone here broke a locking block. Probably could have been prevented with a fresh recoil spring. Unfortunately I fall under the category that most people do, if aint broke don't fix it..

In 15 years of shooting USPSA, somewhere over 200,000 rounds, extractor, locking block, trigger reset spring, slide stop lever, slide lock, and slide lock spring. Had the entire slide fall off after show clear and empty when the slide lock spring broke. Had to take the barrel out of the slide to show clear... On my carry Glocks, I have an extractor and trigger reset spring wrapped in a thin piece of foam shoved up in the hollow backstrap behind the plug.

My spare parts list for my g34 is.... a g17

Haha me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My spare parts are in a second G34, and the backup to that is a third. But to matches I bring the second gun (sometimes easier to go to than trying to diagnose the problem in the main, then break down the second gun for the part. Faster too - no need to function fire post repair, or adjust a new sight, no rushing to catch up with my squad, other than clearing the new gun with RM) and also a spare parts box with everything short of barrel and frame - all factory parts that just drop in. Pretty cheap too.

Edited by kevin c

Great list of parts and ideas! I got all of the parts today and put them in a ittle parts bin that fits in the front on my range bag. I should be able to repair just about anything that might break.

Thanks for the help with this.

20131011-214015.jpg

Great list of parts and ideas! I got all of the parts today and put them in a ittle parts bin that fits in the front on my range bag. I should be able to repair just about anything that might break.

Thanks for the help with this.

20131011-214015.jpg

good set of backup parts, I would include a locking block, extractor plunger, spring and spring load bearing and also a slide stop (the spring broke on me also) so I think you would be good to go

Thanks for the help with this.20131011-214015.jpg

good set of backup parts, I would include a locking block, extractor plunger, spring and spring load bearing and also a slide stop (the spring broke on me also) so I think you would be good to go

Thanks, Sean! I'll add those to the box. I added an extra mag release today and have the slide stop on it's way. I'll get the extractor plunger parts next time I place an order.