Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which trigger for AR?

Tuflehundon

I have the rest of my rifle either built or on order. I just need to decide on a trigger now and am at a loss. The only higher end trigger I have ever tried was the Gieselle 3G trigger in a Stag 3G. BUt I am seeing a lot more options out there.

Timney has a great reputation, but not real familiar with them. CMC is the only 1911 magazines I will use. I keep hearing good things about the AR Gold triggers to. I'm not sure which to get. Prices are all fairly close, so that's not an issue. With the difference in price between the lowest and highest price, I don't mind paying the difference.

Only triggers I have ever used enough to really get a feel for them are standard M16A2 triggers in the Marines or cleaned up standard AR triggers.

Which trigger would you choose and why?

I have been using the Hiperfire 24C and I love it. I like the short break and fast reset of a single stage and the break is amazing for precision and speed both. Can't go wrong. They are new but are gathering a solid reputation and my experience is that they are the best of the best. I switched from a Timney. No comparison. The Hiperfire is far superior. (And I liked the Timney before I switched). I used to have the Timney in a backup gun and would let people try them both. 100% like the Hiperfire more and overwhelmingly so. The backup gun now has a Hiperfire too.

You won't ever get a consensus answer. The last 6 or 7 threads on the topic have ended up in the weeds, but no agreement.

Get to a local match, tell everyone you are new and take 50 rounds of factory ammo. Ask a few guys if you can try their triggers, most will say yes.

My absolute favorate in the way it felt was the Geisselle 3g but after a few seasons it started to double on me. I sent it back they gave me a new return spring and the problem was still there. In fairness it was not a true double where the sear failed rather the trigger became very easy to bump fire from any position that was not super stable. I am back to running a 2 stage Geisselle SDE which has been reliable and l like the pull for longer targets. The JP trigger is excellent but it also requires tuning as time goes on or it will double at least the one I had did. I tried an AR Gold the other day and the pull weight was nice with a short reset. But the trigger face sucked super narrow. My friend who had it also said it was finicky as far as which recievers and pins it worked with. Not sure all the details but it took him a bit to get it working right in his rifle.

Pat

You won't ever get a consensus answer. The last 6 or 7 threads on the topic have ended up in the weeds, but no agreement.

Get to a local match, tell everyone you are new and take 50 rounds of factory ammo. Ask a few guys if you can try their triggers, most will say yes.

This is true. And good advise.

I will say that the jp is to triggers as the Miculek comp is to comps. Either are hard to beat for the price.

The local match I went to, only 4 guys had upgraded triggers, and they were all Geiselle triggers.

Of the ones I've tried, my favorite is the AR Gold (1911 for the AR, shortest reset). After that it's almost a tie between a Wilson single stage (bolt trigger for the AR, zero creep/overtravel, short reset), JP (similar to Wilson, minute creep/overtravel, short reset, lighter weight than Wilson), CMC (another smooth option more similar to JP than Wilson, minimal creep/overtravel, not as short a reset as the others but still feels very nice, best value). Geissele S3G is a far distant 3rd to the others (evident creep, positive reset, pricey for what it offers). Any of the other Geissele triggers just don't seem to be a good fit for the action games.

I'm curious to try a Hiperfire considering the rave reviews so far though the extra parts are offputing for me.

Big problem with the Gieselle's is that a lot of people just drop them in and don't bother to set them up correctly. It takes a bit of adjustment to get them to where they should be. At the SHOT Show, they have all the tiggers on display with little dry fire gadgets, so you can try them all out side by side and compare. Would be nice if everyone could do that before picking one.

Big problem with the Gieselle's is that a lot of people just drop them in and don't bother to set them up correctly. It takes a bit of adjustment to get them to where they should be. At the SHOT Show, they have all the tiggers on display with little dry fire gadgets, so you can try them all out side by side and compare. Would be nice if everyone could do that before picking one.

That is only true with the adjustable Geiselle's. That is not the case with the SDE SSA and 3g trigger. I have the adjustable Gieselle's as well and you do have to do some set up with them.

Pat

Seeing lots of guys switch to the HiperFire 24. Especially C model with the straight trigger face. I happen to agree. Consistent break, short & positive reset, light but no to light, strong hammer fall. User installed easily. All adding up to a great option for 3-Gunners.

code TC930 on the Hiperfire website for a 15% discount.

Seeing lots of guys switch to the HiperFire 24. Especially C model with the straight trigger face. I happen to agree. Consistent break, short & positive reset, light but no to light, strong hammer fall. User installed easily. All adding up to a great option for 3-Gunners.

code TC930 on the Hiperfire website for a 15% discount.

I have been seeing more and more good things be said about that company. I will have to do some more research on them

I have 2 Rock River Nation Match triggers; 1 came new in a rifle, the other I picked up used for under $100. Both are excellent.

I had a Geissele 3G and frankly I was not crazy about it. By design it mushed through the break and I just found it too untraditional. Replaced with a Geissele SSA-E which I am very pleased with. At twice the price it is not twice as good as the RR trigger but still I plan on buying another couple SSA-E's to replace stock triggers.

You have to decide 1st if you like single stage or 2 stage. Also there's a JP like single stage and there's hipper fire single stage. You'll not beat an AR gold or tuned Geisselle national match trigger in 2 stage category. If you like the feel of 1911/2011 open gun like trigger then AR GOLD. If you shoot glock, you'll appreciate hipperfire or some 3G triggers of Geisselle.

With no disrespect intended. I am a confirmed 1911 shooter and the Hiperfire 24C is my choice for similarity.

Again, many great triggers on the market first decision as a carbine/rifle shooter is 2 stage or single stage but for 3-Gun I suggest a single stage with little to no take-up and short crisp reset....like the 24C.

TC

You have to decide 1st if you like single stage or 2 stage. Also there's a JP like single stage and there's hipper fire single stage. You'll not beat an AR gold or tuned Geisselle national match trigger in 2 stage category. If you like the feel of 1911/2011 open gun like trigger then AR GOLD. If you shoot glock, you'll appreciate hipperfire or some 3G triggers of Geisselle.

Love 1911's, currently am shooting a Glock with Zev Fulcrum Trigger. After some research I am leaning towards the Hiperfire 24C