Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

As an RO, would you let this guy begin the COF?

justaute

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I never shoot a match were you guys are ROs ... :). I assume he has rarely if ever been called on this since as a GM I'm sure he would have developed a different technique if it happened regularly. Not saying you guys are wrong but I see LOTs of top shooters with hand positions like this. My start position (which was Recommended to me by more than one M/GM shooter) is to have my forearm touching the bottom of the grip where the mag is and my wrist touching the bottom of the holster.

While this does result in my hand being closer to the holster the main reason I was taught to do this was to have a repeatable index point at the start of every draw ...

Ken, this guy's forearm is NOT touching the bottom of the grip. His hand is damn near on an equal plane as the grip.

I have RO'd several lvl 2 and above matches. Had several super squads comes thru. NEVER seen a shooter start ANYWHERE NEAR this position IF the WSB says arms hanging naturally at sides.

Was stated in the opening post this wasn't a USPSA stage/start. To answer the OP's question, no, I wouild not start the shooter if his arm was in the position and the WSB said hanging naturally at sides.

8.2.2 The competitor assumes the start position as specified in the written

stage briefing. Unless otherwise specified, the competitor must stand

erect, facing downrange, with arms hanging naturally by the sides.

On the second stage of the video, she is most likely not in compliance with 8.2.2. Her hands are at a right angle to her wrists and she is crouching (not erect). Unless the WSB start position said arms extended with palms horizontal while crouching, as an RO I would not have started her.

The rules are the same for everyone. They should be enforced the same for everyone.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

On the second stage of the video, she is most likely not in compliance with 8.2.2. Her hands are at a right angle to her wrists and she is crouching (not erect). Unless the WSB start position said arms extended with palms horizontal while crouching, as an RO I would not have started her.

The rules are the same for everyone. They should be enforced the same for everyone.

+1 for that!!!

+1 for that!!!
but we all no they are not being enforced the same or shooters like her would not still be doing it!

+1 for that!!!
but we all no they are not being enforced the same or shooters like her would not still be doing it!

For those that are enforcing the rules, GOOD JOB and please continue to do so.

And for those ROs that have not been enforcing the rules, maybe a few threads like this one will help to change the way they look at things in the future.

We can only do what we can do.

Bill

+1 for that!!!

AGREED!

Don't want to go off on a tangent but the real question is for something like her hand and stance start position which is way off from what the rules call for, why do ROs let her and other "name" shooters continue to do this? We don't do ourselves any favors when we stray from "the rules are the same for everyone" ....

At a L3 or Nationals, is how much leeway to allow with this something that the RM discusses with the RO's? I've never been to one, let alone RO'd at one.

Yesterday Troy told us to be polite and follow the rules. That is pretty much what any RM has said at any match I've worked.

There are times ROs miss something...for whatever reason. I doubt it is done on purpose. One 1 person ever gave me crap when I corrected them on starting position/procedures. That person has a reputation for being an ass.

BTW, I RO'd Tori today and her hands relaxed at sides position was fine.

Edited by remoandiris

+1 for that!!!

For those that are enforcing the rules, GOOD JOB and please continue to do so.

And for those ROs that have not been enforcing the rules, maybe a few threads like this one will help to change the way they look at things in the future.

We can only do what we can do.

Bill

I'm probably more concerned that start positions are consistently enforced at an individual match, rather than being consistent from match to match.....

Then again, I'll write start positions like: Standing anywhere in free fire zone, facing in any direction with hand position of shooter's choice.....

or Standing, facing downrange, hands on marks.....

To the person who posted video of Tori Nonaka, her position is different than the other shooter's position. It's . . . Odd, but not illegal.

I've never RO'd a Nationals, but I've shot five Single Stack Nats, and they're pretty consistent. Really depends on the RO, to be honest.

Let's not talk about Tori or anyone else as that will get this thread closed. In short, I believe anyone who has support hand/arm that far in front of the body is not in a legal position and should not be allowed to start the COF. And, yes, she has corrected her stance as that can be viewed in a couple of her nationals videos.

The reason of my posting the video-scenario was to generate a discussion for ruling-interpretation and consistency. I have heard people who don't think the starting position, per USPSA rules, is a big deal. If we don't have a common, at least relatively, interpretation of a rule, then we can't consistently enforce that rule. If that's the case, then let's just get rid of rules.

Edited by justaute