Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Match- Starting down range from your gun

felt

At a local match yesterday...

Unloaded barrel start.

Gun pointing down range

Starting box, 25 feet, directly down range of your gun, looking down the muzzle.

The RO's did not like, because every shooter was forced to sweep themselves as the headed to the free fire zone. But the MD said it was good to go?

Not sure which is worse, that someone thought this was a good idea for a stage, or that the MD said it was good to go. ( and before someone gets their knickers in a twist, we're talking local match here, so I'm guessing the MD was playing the role or RM ).

Ok, so I have to agree... if you actually had to walk in front of the muzzle, that was a stupid idea, and illegal due to 10.5.5.

However, not to threadjack, but I did shoot a stage at a local match several months ago that required the shooter to start downrange of a loaded gun. The positions were offset lateraly, so the gun never swept a shooter, but I couldnt help but wonder if it was legal.

Everybody was DQ'ed.

10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor’s

body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping).

ETA: Post #2 sums it up pretty well...

Maybe that's why the scores haven't posted yet.

If you want to force the shooter uprange at the start signal, make it an unloaded start with all ammo on the table.

But what's really the point of making everyone have to go 25' uprange before they can fire a shot? Just seems to serve to separate the fleet-footed from those who are less mobile.

1.1.2 Quality – The value of an USPSA match is determined by the quality of the challenge presented in the course design. Courses of fire must be designed primarily to test a competitor’s USPSA shooting skills, not their physical abilities.

• 2 years later...

What I find the dumbest is all the shooters that complied and went downrange. I'm probably insulting the author of this note. No disrespect intended, but I would have taken a zero on that stage and not shot it!

It reminds me of instructors that teach an NRA safety class, go over all the safety rules, then point an unloaded gun at the students for some of the demos. I see it all the time.

Steve Pitt

Unloaded barrel start.

Gun pointing down range

Starting box, 25 feet, directly down range of your gun, looking down the muzzle.

The RO's did not like, because every shooter was forced to sweep themselves as the headed to the free fire zone. But the MD said it was good to go?

MD cannot make up their own rules or decide a current rule does not apply.

10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitor’s body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping). Standing directly down range of a loaded weapon is just plain stupid!

Unloaded barrel start.

Gun pointing down range

MD cannot make up their own rules or decide a current rule does not apply.

10.5.5 Allowing the muzzle of a handgun to point at any part of the competitors body during a course of fire (i.e. sweeping). Standing directly down range of a loaded weapon is just plain stupid!

Amen brother!

No RO is going to DQ them when the MD says that there's nothing wrong .....

:surprise: You're probably right. If I were ROing and lost that argument I would head to BW3's early for beer and wings and let the MD run his own unsafe match.

:surprise: You're probably right. If I were ROing and lost that argument I would head to BW3's early for beer and wings and let the MD run his own unsafe match.

Right on!! If this OP is true, the RO who acted as MD should lose his credentials and the RO's who agreed to run the stage should be suspended for a while.

I'm trying to be careful because I just can not believe the story is accurate.

You sure? I'm not the world's most assertive guy, but I would totally tell the MD there *was* something wrong, and I would explain to the MD and shooters than I would dq anyone who allowed themselves to be swept during the COF.

I'd buy you the first beer and a plate of wings Sarge. :cheers:

EVERYBODY should have packed up and refused to shoot the stage!

I'd buy you the first beer and a plate of wings Sarge. :cheers:

EVERYBODY should have packed up and refused to shoot the stage!

Thanks! I swear we seem to hear goofier things every day lately regarding rules. I wonder if it's all true??

That is just dunce and certainly not a stage I'd consider being part of either as a competitor or as an RO.

I'd be taking the zero and in fact if they were planning to go ahead with the stage I'd be excusing myself from the match and going to do something else productive.

That is just dunce and certainly not a stage I'd consider being part of either as a competitor or as an RO.

I'd be taking the zero and in fact if they were planning to go ahead with the stage I'd be excusing myself from the match and going to do something else productive.

+1!