Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Plugs vs Muffs

Reshoot

I can't do it . . . wear hearing protection, in the form of muffs. It is like putting a heater on my head! How do you, that wear muffs, stand it all day?

I rely on EARPRO plugs, putting my muffs on just long enough to shoot the stage. My open gun is just too loud for ear plugs alone.

I do find muffs comfortable in February and March ;)

I have custom molded plugs and unless i get an open gun ill never go back to muffs. They are heavy, hot, create pressure on my head and press my glasses into my temples so i end up with a massive headache (this is with gel sordins and m frame glasses btw)

What's the best in ear plug? Most noise dampening

And that is the million dollar question.

I have a collection of them now :angry2: The ones I would like to wear have a valve in them, and are made by Silencio. They are the "quietest" ones I have but, after two stages they are so uncomfortable I have to take them out. Then I have those "mold your own", that I can wear all day. But, they do not have a valve in them so I am deaf all day.

The problem with the Sonic Defenders (EP3-M), I am currently using, is that I am constantly pushing them in as they work their way loose. Having said that, I have not tried the large size.

The reason I have never invested in custom fit plugs, with a valve, is that I feel they are ridiculously expensive.

The search continues :blush:

Ok, I will give my 2 cants. I also own Sordins Gell Muffs. they have great hearing protection BUT here in Texas we shoot in 95 degree heat 60 % of the year. Most time its lower 100's. I do not care what brand or kind of ear muffs you buy, the are Dxx hot.

Yes they do make up some during winter shooting.

What I went to are electronic hearing Protection from ESP www.espAmerica,com they provide great protection even without the electronic turned on. I am a RO and believe me standing beside a 38 Super will get anyones attention. Also we have a guy shooting a 45 a.c.p comp. That hurts. With this protection i do not have to add muffs, for them or when I shoot. And with the custom molded ear canal plugs they are so comfortable to wear.

With just a small amount of electronic turned on I can hear just about anything on our squad be said or etc. I think yesterday I heard a mouse fart. I do not work for this guy, but he spend a bunch of money supporting our sport, give him a look. You will be happy you did.

:D

I always double plug in an attempt to keep the ringing in my ears from getting any worse. I'm sure that at one time i noticed that the muffs made me a little hotter, but after several years I don't notice anymore.

I double plug all the time.

I dont even pull my muffs off between stages. With my pro ears turned all the way up, over a set of molded plugs, I can communicate behind the line very well, but the protection is second to none.

I never really notice them being hot, and I live in Central Mississippi.

Ive owned multiple pair of molded plugs, from several different vendors. I have yet to find a pair that protects as well as my favorite foam plugs ( E-A-R EarSoft Blasts NRR33 ) when they are used correctly.

I can't do it . . . wear hearing protection, in the form of muffs. It is like putting a heater on my head! How do you, that wear muffs, stand it all day?

I rely on EARPRO plugs, putting my muffs on just long enough to shoot the stage. My open gun is just too loud for ear plugs alone.

I do find muffs comfortable in February and March ;)

Same thing for me down here in FL. I only put the muffs over the top when I run an Open guy, yeah I forgot that this past weekend - ouch.

There is a reason that I wear muffs. It is because there is a nerve that runs along your skull just behind the ear that can be damaged by loud noise and cause nerve deafness. Wearing muffs covers this nerve area and helps prevent this. Plugs don't protect you from the nerve damage which is one reason my several shooters, even though they wear plugs still have some kind of hearing loss. Just my .02

see post 18.

I have the original E-A-R soft plugs in whenever I'm in the same zip code as gunfire. Muffs sit on my 4th magazine or on top of my bag most of the match, except when I shoot (any division) or when an Open shooter is up. Including 5"-54 Navy deck guns, I've been doing this over 25 years and getting my hearing tested quite a few times. I can say for sure that almost all of my hearing loss came from playing in rock bands without plugs or muffs.

Once you get used to it, it's a simple move once the shooting is over to just one-handed pull your muffs off the backside of your head and plant them on your spare mags; won't knock your hat off, no hot/sweaty problem. The guys who use only muffs and get caught out with nothing as a hybrid-port Supercomp goes off, I don't know how you do that, seems crazy to me.

Edited by eric nielsen

I switched to the Hear-Pro amp 39 electronic plugs and couldn't imagine going back to muffs. Super top notch people to deal with. Half the price of ESP and a better plug. I am not a sponsored shooter and I paid full price for them and would gladly do it again.

Jan

I use hearing aids for normal use. I take them out when shooting.

I use Peltor Tactical Sport Electronic Hearing Protectors and I

love them. One side adjusts both ears and they fit tight and work

with Rifles and Shotguns without getting in the way. Cannot wear

ear plugs, need the amplification.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful using nothing but ear plugs. There is a bone behind the ear that helps in hearing. It transmits sounds via vibration just like the drum. Over time exposure of this area can cause hearing loss as well. For me I wear muffs whenever possible.