Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejecting round from gun

sweetback

Get real! The only reason someone does the "catch & flip" is TO LOOK COOL. Why else would anyone go through those gymnastics just to clear a round from the chamber of a semi-auto pistol?

It doesn't appear to me to require any 'gymnastics' to catch a round, but perhaps I am young (52) and limber. Since it doesn't actually look cool, I assume people do it so as to not have to bend over and pick the round out of the dirt. Why do you think it looks cool, anyway?

Enforcement of tribal rules is one of the things I wish IDPA would get away from.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, it's a foolish practice that has a documented potential for injury. I could care less about injury to the shooter who does it, but am concerned about injury to the SO/RO who is required to peer into the chamber and monitor the ULSC.

Foolish or not, not caring about injury to your shooter is probably the most negligent statement I have read in this thread. I sincerely hope you said it just to prove your dislike for the round flipping, and truly don't feel that way.

If a person choses to engage in a foolish... show off... potentially dangerous action... then NO, I really don't care if they suffer an injury. Let Darwin rule there.

But, the SO/RO is required to be right there at the ULSC and is placed in a potentially hazardous position because some 'hotshot' wants to show how 'cool' he is on YouTube.

That is my objection to the 'flip & catch". YMMV .... insert a pleasent Smiley here.

Again, I don't know of anyone who does it to be 'cool', but I'd rather address your other superstition; I fail to see the potentially hazardous situation you are describing? are you actually sticking your face in there to try and see the chamber during the flip and catch? If so, you are doing it wrong. Let the shooter flip and catch (or unload in any other normal safe manner) with your face elsewhere, then let him show you the empty chamber.

Get real! The only reason someone does the "catch & flip" is TO LOOK COOL. Why else would anyone go through those gymnastics just to clear a round from the chamber of a semi-auto pistol?

The 'catch & flip' has resulted in cartridge detonation. Superstition? Sorry... just fact! As Yogi Berra once said "You can look it up". I actually saw one, but wasn't the SO running the shooter. That SO had minor bleeding from fragments, and fortunately, no major fragments penetrated the face or eyes. He was lucky.

If the SO/RO is standing in the proper position... within three feet on the shooter's right side (for a right handed shooter) during the ULSC, any cartridge detionation CAN (and probably will) affect that SO/RO. With the ejection port facing upwards, which is necessary to do the "cool" catch & flip, any detonation will be funneled upwards and outwards. It's happened.

It's called a 'directional blast'... did some of that in the military. It's also a 'real thing'... but maybe not in your world.

If the shooter turns the pistol to the right and down and just puts the round on the ground, any detonation is contained in the ejection port and won't do more than spread minot shrapnel to the lower legs and feet.

Why not do that and minimize the chance of injury? Ohh wait... I know!... It's because it doesn't "LOOK COOL".

As for 'showing me an empty chamber... when I run into a 'catch & flipper' you can bet they will show me an empty chamber.... maybe a dozen times before I'm satisfied that it is actually empty. Most 'catch & flippers' get the message from this IDPA CSO after the first stage.

Yet another reason I don't shoot IDPA.

GOF - please explain what danger you see in flipping? If you don't like it because you think people are showing off, that is one thing, but I'd like to know what you think is unsafe about it.

It doesn't appear to me to require any 'gymnastics' to catch a round, but perhaps I am young (52) and limber. Since it doesn't actually look cool, I assume people do it so as to not have to bend over and pick the round out of the dirt. Why do you think it looks cool, anyway?

Enforcement of tribal rules is one of the things I wish IDPA would get away from.

Denial "ain't just a river in Eygypt..." You do whatever you want. Just don't do it around me.

But, you'll 'LOOK SO COOL' while you do it..... :roflol:

Your stated position on the 'flip & catch' is ludicrous. It does pose a hazard, and one that is documented. To state that you will do it anyway, and don''t care if the SO/RO gets caught up in YOUR FOOLISH actions that has caused injury... shows me you would rather look COOL than have any concern for your fellow man. YMMV

shows me you would rather look COOL than have any concern for your fellow man. YMMV

You said it yourself actually, something to the tune of "I don't care about the flippers safety"

The "flipper" as you call them is fellow man too no? Flip or not, it is YOUR #1 job to keep the range safe. With some if your statements I'd honestly be hesitant to see you RO a match.

You may not like what others do, but some of your statements are way off.

shows me you would rather look COOL than have any concern for your fellow man. YMMV

You said it yourself actually, something to the tune of "I don't care about the flippers safety"

The "flipper" as you call them is fellow man too no? Flip or not, it is YOUR #1 job to keep the range safe. With some if your statements I'd honestly be hesitant to see you RO a match.

If the flipper doesn't care about possible injury to the SO/RO then it shows they care little for the poor volunteer SO/RO who is running them. Given the Flipper's lack of concern, I don't care about possible injury to the flipper.... due directly to their actions.

All the flipper has to do to eliminate the possiblity of injury is to avoid flipping. If the flipper's ego gets in the way of that and they insist upon flipping.... then screw 'em.

Let Darwin rule.

As for my responsibility to keep the range safe... yes... I will... that's why I discourage childish actions like 'flipping'. That's are not safe.... and it's documented to be not safe.

Ya'll do what ya want to do... just don't do it around me.

If the flipper doesn't care about possible injury to the SO/RO then it shows they care little for the poor volunteer SO/RO who is running them. Given the Flipper's lack of concern, I don't care about possible injury to the flipper.... due directly to their actions.

All the flipper has to do to eliminate the possiblity of injury is to avoid flipping. If the flipper's ego gets in the way of that and they insist upon flipping.... then screw 'em.

Let Darwin rule.

As for my responsibility to keep the range safe... yes... I will... that's why I discourage childish actions like 'flipping'. That's are not safe.... and it's documented to be not safe.

Ya'll do what ya want to do... just don't do it around me.

Just the attitude I want my SO to have, screw 'em lmao

Lets be honest you don't like the young hot shots whether safe or not, the flip just proves the point that the hot shots are show offs and it really has no value. You know other than not dropping a perfectly good round in the dirt.

The flip if you will happens every time the gun goes bang actually, and every time you unload the gun. If its gonna go off and AD it will do it if your flipping or not. Lets just call a spade a spade, guns can have malfunctions no matter how careful you are.

I've wasted enough flipping time on this topic, and GOF no worries, with your range etiquette ill make sure I'm never flipping around you. I have a responsibility to keep EVERYONE on my range safe, idiots included.

Edited by Vanniek71

"Arguing with a fool is like rolling around in the mud with a pig. You both get filthy dirty, but the pig enjoys it"

Have fun in the mud, guys. I'm done. Do all the 'show off flip & catch' you want. It's still a childish, and potentially hazrdous, action.

But, if it makes you feel like a 'hotshot'.... then your ego must be quite a bit larger than your IQ.

"Arguing with a fool is like rolling around in the mud with a pig. You both get filthy dirty, but the pig enjoys it"

Have fun in the mud, guys. I'm done. Do all the 'show off flip & catch' you want. It's still a childish, and potentially hazrdous, action.

But, if it makes you feel like a 'hotshot'.... then your ego must be quite a bit larger than your IQ.

At least you aren't a huge jerk... the point is you do the exact same action but do not catch your round. If you jerk the slide to clear a misfire then you are a hotshot idiot showoff who is going to kill everybody. Its fine that you do not like the fact that people catch their rounds and dont lose 6 to 10 rds a match. Its not ok that you go berzerk about it and make fun of people like they are doing a backflip after each stage.

To me it clearly shows who has the inadequate IQ..you clearly ignore the fact I am pointing out your negligence for safety, yet you retort with no mention of that. If we want to talk semantics, read your rule book. You are supposed to be an ambassador of the sport and portray it in a positive way, which you have done little of in any of your responses.

Have fun in your mud, like I said before I won't be anywhere near you with your attitude. That's how people get injured.

Edited by Vanniek71

Rather odd we don't ever see a flipper at Camp Perry.. Over the years,many more ULSC has been performed there then all of the action shooting sports combined. If I SO,I would like to know if you are a flipper..

Rather odd we don't ever see a flipper at Camp Perry.. Over the years,many more ULSC has been performed there then all of the action shooting sports combined. If I SO,I would like to know if you are a flipper..

the picture under your name shows a guy flipping a round.

When do you unload and show clear at Camp Perry to have an opportunity to flip?
I thought in NRA Conventional Pistol, you loaded five rounds in the gun, fired five shots at the target and were empty til the next string.

Are there Vickers/Comstock events there I don't know about?

IMHO, it's a foolish practice that has a documented potential for injury. I could care less about injury to the shooter who does it, but am concerned about injury to the SO/RO who is required to peer into the chamber and monitor the ULSC.

Foolish or not, not caring about injury to your shooter is probably the most negligent statement I have read in this thread. I sincerely hope you said it just to prove your dislike for the round flipping, and truly don't feel that way.

If a person choses to engage in a foolish... show off... potentially dangerous action... then NO, I really don't care if they suffer an injury. Let Darwin rule there.

But, the SO/RO is required to be right there at the ULSC and is placed in a potentially hazardous position because some 'hotshot' wants to show how 'cool' he is on YouTube.

That is my objection to the 'flip & catch". YMMV .... insert a pleasent Smiley here.

Again, I don't know of anyone who does it to be 'cool', but I'd rather address your other superstition; I fail to see the potentially hazardous situation you are describing? are you actually sticking your face in there to try and see the chamber during the flip and catch? If so, you are doing it wrong. Let the shooter flip and catch (or unload in any other normal safe manner) with your face elsewhere, then let him show you the empty chamber.

The 'catch & flip' has resulted in cartridge detonation. Superstition? Sorry... just fact! As Yogi Berra once said "You can look it up". I actually saw one, but wasn't the SO running the shooter. That SO had minor bleeding from fragments, and fortunately, no major fragments penetrated the face or eyes. He was lucky.

If the SO/RO is standing in the proper position... within three feet on the shooter's right side (for a right handed shooter) during the ULSC, any cartridge detionation CAN (and probably will) affect that SO/RO. With the ejection port facing upwards, which is necessary to do the "cool" catch & flip, any detonation will be funneled upwards and outwards. It's happened.

It's called a 'directional blast'... did some of that in the military. It's also a 'real thing'... but maybe not in your world.

If the shooter turns the pistol to the right and down and just puts the round on the ground, any detonation is contained in the ejection port and won't do more than spread minot shrapnel to the lower legs and feet.

Why not do that and minimize the chance of injury? Ohh wait... I know!... It's because it doesn't "LOOK COOL".

As for 'showing me an empty chamber... when I run into a 'catch & flipper' you can bet they will show me an empty chamber.... maybe a dozen times before I'm satisfied that it is actually empty. Most 'catch & flippers' get the message from this IDPA CSO after the first stage.

Attitudes like yours, are the reason I refuse to shoot IDPA.

Why do these threads always end up in the same spot - CLOSED.

A few of you need to read the forum guidelines. While heated discussion is OK, the insults and name calling are not.

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.