Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which pistol for ssp or esp is top

3djedi

Me? Well I've only used my walther ppq m2. Awesome trigger and great accuracy but it is a bit "flippy". Cycles super fast though. Mag release button is big and right there. No breaking grip for it. I feel the magwell is a tad on the small side....could use a larger mouth to help with the reloads. If they sold an aftermarket esp magwell I would be all over it.

Jim is close, but I think M&P .40 in SSP and double stack '11 in .40 for ESP. You only need 10 rds, so capacity is irrelevant, and 185-200 gr bullets at 130 PF is cheating-soft recoil-wise. Plus, you will catch more lines with the larger diameter bullets.

Jim is close, but I think M&P .40 in SSP and double stack '11 in .40 for ESP. You only need 10 rds, so capacity is irrelevant, and 185-200 gr bullets at 130 PF is cheating-soft recoil-wise. Plus, you will catch more lines with the larger diameter bullets.

Ahhh good call with the catch more lines with the larger caliber! Does the 185-200g bullets at 130PF shoot softer than the 9mm?

I just shot an USPSA match today and was looking for an STi....I might have seen some in another squad but not in mine. I asked a guy if he ever saw any (it was my first time shooting at this particular place) and he said he used to have the edge in .40 but he had so many problems with it he sold it. He said he sent it back to STi 6 times trying to solve the issues. I can't believe they are bad guns since soooo many of them are at the big matches......

You would have to compare for yourself, but most perceive that a heavier projectile at same power factor is softer feeling. Slightly slower slide/cycle speed, but I don't think that's as big a deal in IDPA. You do catch more lines, just like in archery.

I wouldn't discourage someone from using .45, but that wouldn't crossover into USPSA as well.

My IDPA SSP is a S&W Plastic M&P 9 with Burwell trigger and fibre optic sight.

Unlimited money? A PM&P Pro with Burwell or Apex work and fibre optic sight.

I have more than one IDPA ESP, but going with new and expensive, would take a 1911oid 9mm made up light in weight. An aluminum frame will give 30-33 oz, depending on configuration and parts. AccuRails for durability, London Best otherwise.

If you want to talk bigger bullet, why not shoot Para or other hicap in .45? Yes, it is legal (or was under the old rules)! I'd also shoot a plastic fantastic loaded down in .45 in SSP.

FWIW

Richard

I don't really shoot SSP but when I do I use a Glock 34. My game is ESP that is where all the gamers live. I shoot a tricked out Eagle 9mm with a 2lb trigger

20130720_114234_zps20b3d202.jpg

Paul, I miss the Van Halen gun! But that one is close. I however use a Glock 34 for SSP. Edited by stick

I've heard that some SSP Glocks are down to 2# triggers with an insane amount of labor (mostly polishing the internal trigger parts) and of course replacing springs, disconnector, etc.

Cool my CZ has always been around 2 after first shot lol.

For SSP I'd say a Glock 34. Why? Because of their ubiquity. They are the most used pistol for a reason.

For ESP I'd say any quality 1911/2011 style 9mm. If I were to build an ESP gun it would be one of Matt Mink's CZ guns though.

silly trigger happy Glock kids.. I made master with a stock Glock..Learn to shoot and understand the gun before you mess with it..

Sooo let me get this straight, if you have trigger work done on your gun you don't know how to shoot it????? I'm an XD guy, and own several of them, and every one of them get trigger work done before they even go to the ranger. I have enough and know enough about the gun to know I hate the stock trigger, and that goes for all of the major plastic guns.

Congrats on making master by the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I've heard that some SSP Glocks are down to 2# triggers with an insane amount of labor (mostly polishing the internal trigger parts) and of course replacing springs, disconnector, etc.

Mine is 2.75#, but I achieved this with a drop in kit. No insane amount of labor for me.

silly trigger happy Glock kids.. I made master with a stock Glock..Learn to shoot and understand the gun before you mess with it..

I've never understood this argument...a shitty trigger is a shitty trigger. You don't need to be a master shooter to understand this.

For SSP I'd say a Glock 34. Why? Because of their ubiquity. They are the most used pistol for a reason.

For ESP I'd say any quality 1911/2011 style 9mm. If I were to build an ESP gun it would be one of Matt Mink's CZ guns though.

Yep, and the reason is that people are sheep, lol.

SSP correlates pretty darned well to USPSA production class. What are the most successful guns in production? metal 9mm guns from cz, tanfoglio, and until recently, beretta.

There may be reasons why less successful shooters would want to shoot .40 (i do), or want to shoot a glock (I don't), I certainly don't think those things are a handicap, but I also think Grauffel and Mink and Stoeger are doing something right.

For ESP I'd run the same gun, but start it cocked and locked, especially if the first shot was a difficult one.