Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM recoil spring recommendations

Steve RA

Just bought a 9mm 1911 and wonder what spring weight anyone would suggest for reloads approximating factory loads. Not 9 Major. The stock spring seems pretty stout for a 9mm and I have no idea what poundage it may be.

I use Wolfe variable rate in .45 and would just as soon stick with those but need a starting poundage.

I've settled on using a 9lb recoil spring in my Trojan 9mm. 17lb main spring. Seems to work best with my competition load. 3.3 g Titegroup, 147 MG CMJ. Keeps slide moving fast enough where it doesn't seem sluggish while preventing the nose from diving upon re chambering.

9mm Trojan, tried them all ended up with 15lb main and 10lb recoil. Had a few feeding issues using 9lb recoil spring. Wilson magazines with two coils removed as the stock magazine springs were slowing the slide. Tried Metal Form and Dawson magazines but prefer the Wilsons. Pistol is fitted with an Aftec extractor and tuned 38/40 ejector.

Most will think 15lb main is a little weak but haven't had any issues with Winchester primers since install and that was three years ago.

Usually shoot heavier bullets using Solo 1000 or VVn320 cast and plated Frontier and Berry.

I would suggest purchasing a 9, 10 and a 12lb recoil spring and do some testing. The 1911 store gives you a break if you buy three or more. Might purchase a 15 and 17lb mainspring, depends on the primers you use. Try and buy the same brand springs a 10lb in one brand may not measure the same as another brand just makes it a little easier. Bullet weight, powder and grip come into play also so you'll need to do some testing with the above springs.

Edited by Bob DuBois

I think I have an 11# Wolff in mine currently. I started with a 9X23/.39 Super gun (Colt) and dropped in a 9mm barrel. Not knowing where I would end up spring wise I bought a Wolff reduced power spring kit that came with 5 springs. I want to say they were 9# to 13# and I picked the middle to start with and have not changed it yet. I used factory FMJ ammo to "tune" my feed ramp (took a little dremaling & polishing to get it to feed 100%) but will shoot LRN reloads for practice and match from use now on. I have yet to develop my load and am glad I sprung (pun intended) for the set so I can tune the recoil spring to the load I end up with. I am currently running a .45 in SS and am looking forward to the 9mm (and two more rounds). I started in Production and admit to liking the extra rounds. I shoot Revolver too if I just want to really hamper myself with fewer rounds! And no, I will NOT be buying an 8-shot revolver.

I run a 12# variable recoil spring and 17# main spring in my 9mm gun for 130PF. It seems ok. I have tried a 10# recoil spring and had some feeding issue (when the mag springs were newer).

Anyone else uses a variable recoil spring in a SS 1911?

Basically +1 to everything Bob said. In my Trojan run a 10lb Wolf recoil spring and a 17lb (don't remember if ISMI or Wolf) main w/ an Aftec extractor. I also trim 1 coil from the Wilson ETM mags. Note: The ISMI springs are actually ~2lbs less than than what they claim to be - "10lb" recoil will measure 8-9lb.

I ran a 10 for quite a while which was nice with AAA 147 grain minor loads. But since it's a duty gun and I run more factory ammo than match ammo, I switched to a 12 and I really like the way it shoots. It seemed like I was waiting on the slide (4.5" Sight tracker) with the 10 pound spring. The 12 seems much faster.....