Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to talk myself into an STI

3djedi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a USPSA only gun, the Edge is what you want. Or at least an Edge-type gun - full dust cover, full profile slide, bull barrel.

Aperio... throw a warpspeed trigger kit in it (by a qualified gunsmith) and you are good to go

I shoot an Eagle 40 for IDPA & USPSA, it does the job well, so far has been very reliable, and other than a trigger job, which it needed badly, all the working parts and the mags are completely off the shelf.

One day I hope to have one of the the options mentioned above as a USPSA only gun. The Aperio for sure if I can handle the cost, after shooting my friends gun, that gun is just way cool. I don't know what the "Island" barrel gets me in hard performance data but I'm durn sure that I want one.

If I was shooting minor I think I'd just hang onto the Eagle.

Just a thought, but give Predator Tactical a call. They'll walk you thru the process of what you would want on your gun and give you suggestions for what works and doesn't work for different people.

www.predatortactical.com

I thought the same way and purchased an M&P L, then traded out for an M&P Pro. After realizing that wasn't cutting it for me, I broke down and purchased a fully custom STI. It's a 9mm package and runs like a champ. It's the perfect Limited competition pistol and or for 3gun. A good one is built like a tank and runs like one too.

• 2 weeks later...

I placed a WTB ad here on Enos and got a steal of a deal.....STEAL OF A DEAL!!!! on a used stock Edge.

Ive had the grip stippled, changed to a dawson tooless guidrod and switched to a thinner front sight and its been flawless. It feeds every length ammo ive tried, even factory ammo, and is accurate. Even more so in a better shooters hand. I have hit steel at 50 yards.......with the gun upside down :)

For a USPSA only gun, the Edge is what you want. Or at least an Edge-type gun - full dust cover, full profile slide, bull barrel.

If you want something that will run right out of the box, I would strongly suggest getting one from either Dawson Precision or Brazos Custom that has been tuned by them. Strongly. Dawson calls it a CRP Edge, Brazos a High Performance Edge.

Read this: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177668

Are the CRPs really 'tuned' or just have some extras installed? They are only $100 more than stock, which makes me think it's the latter.

Are the CRPs really 'tuned' or just have some extras installed? They are only $100 more than stock, which makes me think it's the latter.

I've wondered the same thing... If the Dawson CRP's are "tuned", what all does that include?

I've wondered the same thing... If the Dawson CRP's are "tuned", what all does that include?

It does not include a satisfactory trigger, based on the 4 that I have shot fresh from Dawson, maybe 5 1/2 pounds and not at all crisp, an embarrassment to both Dawson and STI in my opinion. The other gun that I shot fresh from Dawson was a box stock STI Trojan & it came with a good trigger out of the box.

Besides that, the 4 CRP's (and the non CRP) ran well without any other issues to the best of my knowledge, I don't know what if anything was tuned however.

I'd probably go with a Brazos for the high performance edge where he goes over the gun and makes it really competition ready.

Or go with a custom from freedom gunworks or one of the many other smith's on this site and have it built to your specs.

I really like the Brazos HP Edge option. Any idea what the lead time is now?

I'd probably go with a Brazos for the high performance edge where he goes over the gun and makes it really competition ready.

Or go with a custom from freedom gunworks or one of the many other smith's on this site and have it built to your specs.

I have the Brazo's HP Edge and have nothing bad to say, it has run from day one and i love it! When i was doing my research a few months back it was the best deal to be had around. Now that prices on limited guns have gone up you might look at having one built, last i checked the difference between a tuned edge and a custom edge is around 4-500 dollars depending on which gunsmith builds it. in the grand scheme of things 4-500 dollars isnt much when you look at the overall cost of moving into limited with a quality S_I gun.

The problem with trying to talk yourself into an STI is that once you own one, you will likely be fighting an eternal battle of trying to refrain from purchasing additional STIs. It's is an expensive but rewarding habit...

Best bet is to send them an email, I checked about 9 or 10 months ago and they were ready to have it out the door next day. I'm sure that has changed since then so I'd check with them so you get it straight from the source

My vote is for the Brazos HP edge also. I just ordered one from them in 9mm today, for 3 gun. They have the gun in stock, and they said they would get it out to me in 2 weeks. I wanted to get a custom gun from them, but I couldnt handle the 1.5 year wait. I am impatient and want it now! Or 2 weeks from now I guess. It seemed like for me, the HP Edge was the best option I could find. I am not sure of the wait on the 40, but I would have to think it would be the same or less than what I was quoted. Just send them a quick email and they will respond pretty quickly.

As far as mags, they didnt list any 9mm 140's in stock, but they did tell me that they had some in stock to offer to buyers of their guns. It was a 2 mag limit. Again this is for 9, not for 40, but I would def check with them.

Good luck!

Best bet is to send them an email, I checked about 9 or 10 months ago and they were ready to have it out the door next day. I'm sure that has changed since then so I'd check with them so you get it straight from the source

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a Dawson CRP Edge to move on from my trusty Glock 35. I was looking at custom builds and the Brazos guns but Dawson has always treated me well with my Glock stuff so I figured I would try the Dawson Edge. I also paid extra to have the pistol tuned by Dawson and now have an awesome crisp trigger as well as the other stuff that they do. There is a difference between the CRP package and buying a tuned gun from them so if you order one make sure of what you are getting. This gun runs great, even with the same ammo that I loaded for my Glock 35. The weak part of this platform are the magazines, after shooting a Glock I can't believe this magazine crap, it's not as bad as people make it out to be though. Three out of the four 140MM magazines i bought worked fine and held 20 rounds that were reloadable with Dawson base pads with Grams followers. The fourth magazine is too wide at the top and is being a pain, it is going to require a trip to the vise or back to STI for some adjustments. Other than that for a thousand less than a custom I got an awesome gun in two weeks that is ready to rock.

I shoot idpa and starting into the uspsa thing i just bought a STI eagle in 40 S&W i already own a sti steel master and a sti USPSA 1911 single stack and a M&P 5" pro 9 with kkm barrel apex etc etc. i love my STI's accurate as hell My USPSA will put 5 shots at 50 feet in one fricken hole from a rest. so will my steel master and i just sold my edge to buy the eagle. because i want to use it in IDPS and USPSA. No matter which way you go you will need to tweek them .Remember they are both games. learn to play withing the rules of the game you will play the most and enjoy.. i mean hell its shooting doesnt get any better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered this same thing just last week, so I called Dawson. They let me know that the CRP is NOT a tuned pistol. It is CRP due to having a FO sight, magwell and mag release installed. A tuned gun is tuned by Dave himself for an extra $200. They said Dave will go through the gun, polish where needed and improve trigger. He will then test fire it.

I wondered this same thing just last week, so I called Dawson. They let me know that the CRP is NOT a tuned pistol. It is CRP due to having a FO sight, magwell and mag release installed. A tuned gun is tuned by Dave himself for an extra $200. They said Dave will go through the gun, polish where needed and improve trigger. He will then test fire it.

Cool. Thanks.