Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 vs. Glock 17

visigoth4

Currently shooting a Sig 226 which i'm looking to replace with a Glock 34. Problem is I live in Mass and it's very hard to come across a Glock 34. If I can't find one for sale anytime soon what do you think about a Glock 17? Huge difference or should I just be a little patient?

Thanks

It really depends on what your planned use for the gun is. The two guns can serve the same general purposes, but each has advantages in certain areas over the other. If you are wanting a defensive handgun and a range toy, I would go G17; if you are wanting an entry level "Production" division USPSA handgun, I would go with the G34 (longer barrel and sight radius); if you are wanting to build an "Open" division handgun, I would go with the G17 (shorter slide = faster cycling). With all of that said, either one of those will serve each of those purposes I mentioned, just one is better only slightly. So it all really depends on what you want the pistol for. Both are great guns, so whatever you decide will be a good choice

I've just gotten into USPSA and have been shooting Production so that would be the main purpose for it. Thanks for the feed back as it does make me realize that worst case I could get a G17 and still be ok. Love my Sig but realizing now why some guys don't like the long DA to SA trigger. I train with it a lot and still have a tough time with it. Plus I want something new :)

Bulldog pretty much covered it, the only thing I would add is a grip issue between Gen 3 and Gen 4. Find out what feels the best in your hands.

If you want an opinion, I have the 34, for uspsa production, and I prefer the Gen 3.

I've shot Gen 3 17's and 34's on steel and in IDPA matches in Production and SSP divisions. A lot.

I still can't tell you which one I like best. I think the 34 helps me out on longer shots and the 17 seems to index more rapidly for me. I like them both.

I can't shoot up to either pistol, and there isn't enough difference in them to matter to me personally. So I shoot them both.

I don't own a 34 - never even shot one to be honest, but I do have a 17 that I use for GSSF and occasionally for Production. For USPSA Production or IDPA SSP, I'd probably get the 34. Having other guns with a longer sight radius I think that helps (though like the other posters I wouldn't rate it as a huge benefit). The Glock 17 however is competitively a better gun for GSSF as you can't use a 34 in Amateur Civilian Division.

Edited by MGMorden

How about shooting reloads in both? I do a lot of reloading. No special type of load. Mainly 115GR 9mm. For Matches I do shoot factory ammo. Do Glocks have issues with reloads? I know glock doesn't recommend it but what are your experiences with reloads..if any. My Sig226 hasn't had any reload problems. No jams.

Thanks

Pick one and practice. :)

The G17 and the G34 are nearly identical. One comes with a few standard parts and one comes with a few extended parts (which interchange between models) Other than that...it's a matter of 3/4 of an inch of sight radius and barrel length. Neither of which are that big of a deal. Sure, a bit more sight radius can be nice, but few really see a performance difference.

I've runs tens and tens of thousands of reloads through my Glocks. There is caution against using lead bullets, due to the polygon rifling in the stock Glock barrels. I head that caution, as I have had barrel badly build up lead. Some manage it. Also, the stock barrels sometimes don't like plated bullets...some of which have a pretty thin plating that can kinda peel and cause the bullet to tumble a bit (bad accuracy). True jacketed bullets are great (Zero, Motana Gold...) If you do want to push cast lead bullets, many buy an aftermarket barrel (with conventional rifling) to replace the stock barrel.

I'd have no problem running a G17 at any level of match/competition.

I could do that. But I figured I would test out the market and see if I can find a G34 being sold privately. Which is possible. Just have to pay more than normal. I'm going to wait it out and If I can't find a G34 Might just pull the trigger on a G17. Sounds like I would be happy with either one. And I only reload FMJ so It sounds like I won't have a problem with my reloads.

Visigoth

I have both. I bought the 34 to shoot Bianchi. It does fine for that right up till the 50 yard line where it won't hold the x ring. Great pistol for USPSA. The 17 is fine too.

My 34 has Dawson fiber optic sights which help a lot. PM me if you are interested.

-John

Can you not get a g17, and then add the g34 slide later in mass?

An indirect answer and FYI.

In USPSA Prod, you have to run what the frame is originally set up for. If its a 17 frame, it needs to have 17 slide. Though the 34 and 17 have same lowers.

• 2 weeks later...

i started uspsa and idpa and 3gun with a g34 (gen 3). couple of years ago i got a g17 (gen 4). i have been using the g17 since. i definitely prefer the grippiness of the gen 4 stippling. but the 17 is also a little shorter so seems to come out of the hoster and point quicker.

Interesting reads. I'm interested in switching over to a G34. How's the availability of aftermarket parts right now - trigger kits, springs, magwells and oh yes, mags?

I ended up finding a Gen3 Glock 34 and I'm very happy with it.

I think you made a great choice! Both with model and gen. The 34 will serve you very well and the gen 3 will give you access to a plethora of aftermarket parts.

I borrowed a 34 from a friend as I also have been wanting to get either the 17 or the 34. After playing with both for a bit, I plan on getting the 17. I couldn't tell a difference in terms of performance as it relates to recoil and accuracy. What sold the 17 for me was reloading the gun. The 34 felt a little slower to move the nose of the gun around to change mags. The 17 also tended to point more natural for me.