Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle only Matches and front sight mag

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but in the new issue of front sight mag it said events are in motion to have a uspsa rifle national championship for 2014. Maybe uspsa is recognizing that a rifle only match would be a great market.

I think it is a great idea and it would probably draw alot of people to the sport. I've been wanting to do a rifle only match or rifle/pistol match for quite some time now, but no one does them around here. The only thing that turns me off of 3-gun is the shotgun. I've heard the same thing from multiple shooters as well. I think if uspsa would embrace rifle only, 2-gun, or even shotgun only matches with a good set of rules, there could be a good future for it. Shotgun only events would probably be like the revolver division, but I guess they could try it out. :rolleyes:

I sure hope the rifle only matches take off. :cheers:

A difference of opinion is what makes a horse race but I prefer my multi-gun to be all 3. I know some people would like to do just pistol/carbine, and not saying I would not attend such a match but honestly I would rather shoot a straight Shotgun match as a pistol/carbine match. But then I am probably different, I like shooting a shotgun. And yes, I occasionally shoot Revolver Division with my old S&W 25. Honestly, what I would like to see, at least at the local/club level, is pistol caliber carbine. I think shooting one of my KelTec SUB2K carbines or Marlin Camp Carbine through a USPSA pistol course would be a gas.

The Rockcastle/Benelli shotgun match has happened twice now, and brought plenty of shooters.

I would like to see rifle-only matches too... honestly, lugging all the 3-gun stuff around gets tiresome, and it's pretty much to the point now where you can't have a major mulitigun match in less than 3 days.

And I shoot USPSA Revolver too. :ph34r: What I'd really like to see is a 70s Cop-show 2-gun... revolver and pump shotgun only. :devil:

The Rockcastle/Benelli shotgun match has happened twice now, and brought plenty of shooters.

I would like to see rifle-only matches too... honestly, lugging all the 3-gun stuff around gets tiresome, and it's pretty much to the point now where you can't have a major mulitigun match in less than 3 days.

And I shoot USPSA Revolver too. :ph34r: What I'd really like to see is a 70s Cop-show 2-gun... revolver and pump shotgun only. :devil:

Yes, and David has been running the carbine championship match for several years now too. Now Rockcastle is going to have the Bud's two gun match in September. I think its all out there someplace or another.

I agree that there is a huge untapped market for rifle-only events. Whenever we run them they sell out. I wish we had the range time to run more. I do hope that USPSA run this as a time-plus scored event though (what folks are used to) and not as a rifle tournament with major/minor scoring, which only serves to create confusion over the equipment rules and slows down scoring (= dumbed down stages).

I agree that there is a huge untapped market for rifle-only events. Whenever we run them they sell out. I wish we had the range time to run more. I do hope that USPSA run this as a time-plus scored event though (what folks are used to) and not as a rifle tournament with major/minor scoring, which only serves to create confusion over the equipment rules and slows down scoring (= dumbed down stages).

I actually disagree. If they are going to do rifle only events I would like to see major minor standard USPSA scoring to put accuracy back in the game on paper targets. Time plus is great for running matches because it makes scoring simpler with multiple weapon systems (major pistol minor rifle etc) but I view it as a necessary evil and prefer systems that reward accuracy a bit more. Plus it would allow those that want to tinker and come up with a major caliber that fits in the AR a viable pursuit like the 300 black out for example.

Pat

I would shoot just about any event that I can drive to. I think that a rifle only event or a shotgun only event allows you to do more unique stages with the said gun in question because you don't have to try and balance the match for all three weapons.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot my first rifle only event out at Rio yesterday. It was an absolute blast. Time plus worked great and really sped up the reset time on stages. I would shoot these matches as much as my ammo budget would allow.

Come on... how can you not be inspired to shoot by this?

a12c3_equipment.jpg

Really nice post! Really nice Rambler in the background!

If you guys are paying attention, there is a new game in town, that is even adverting their Championship match in the near future: USCA - United States Carbine Association. Matches are rifle and a little pistol to keep it honest. And the matches are popping up all over.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175129

I'd sign up for a rifle only match in a heartbeat. Even a Rifle/Pistol.

Hmmm.... seems maybe you and I have shot.a rifle only match or two? It was fun, wasn't it?

They were mucho fun, just not often enough to satisfy the desire.

I'd sign up for a rifle only match in a heartbeat. Even a Rifle/Pistol.

Hmmm.... seems maybe you and I have shot.a rifle only match or two? It was fun, wasn't it?

They were mucho fun, just not often enough to satisfy the desire.

I sure enjoyed them. I am looking forward to the next one later this year.

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually excited about the USCA forming as I hate the shotgun part. While they are 2 gun, I have seen a few rifle only matches popping up as well. I love packing for a pistol or rifle match....seems so easy just tossing gear for 1 gun in the bag!

• 4 weeks later...

What I'd really like to see is a 70s Cop-show 2-gun... revolver and pump shotgun only. :devil:

outstanding. I've got an old 870 and a model 28 with a leather snap-retention holster all ready to go. :)

Hey, don't tempt me... I'm on a lot of pain meds after my failed Evel Knievel impression at Rockcastle.... anyone know a willing venue near TN?

DanO

• 2 months later...

I'd definitely go for a shotgun only match; just don't have any interest in 3 gun (actually a bit worried that pistol matches could go by the wayside with everyone getting on the 3 gun bandwagon). Love the "70's police 2-gun" idea too.

Let's face it, if someone said slingshot at a multi-gun match, there would be a bunch of forked sticks hanging out of back pockets, a run on marbles, and some open guy mounting a dot on a titanium wrist rocket. We will shoot anything, anytime. It's how we roll.