Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much does our sport really cost you?

DrLove

I've been very curious about this. Since I started competitive shooting, I have no money:) I mean my saving account has been going down not up for the last couple of years. Between USPSA divisions (almost one gun per division), IDPA, 3gun, the gear craze is just too much. Moreover, you're always looking to improve and get better gear. Of course this is not to mention the recurring cost of ammo/etc.

So my question to all of you is, how much do you think you spend on our sport a year. If I had to give a number right now, I'll say at least $10K per year. Does that sound reasonable to you? Do you spend more or less?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1000 on components, another 500 on components/guns, the biggest is match fees/expenses say between 1 to 2000 depending on activity.

Started the last 2 years with bigger hopes, than was able to do though.

So I try to keep it down to under $2000 a year.

I spend a LOT less than I did when racing motorcycles, in terms of equipment, consumables, travel, etc... Since I retired from racing motos and took up shooting about 18 months ago, I have more money and time than I ever used to.

I personally don't see any need to have a gun for every division. I only really want to shoot 1 or 2 divisions, and they are cheap (production and L10/singlestack).

Still, I'm sure I'll spend over 5k this year, but that includes a new gun in january and this year's AND next year's ammo components as well.

I spend a LOT less than I did when racing motorcycles, in terms of equipment, consumables, travel, etc... Since I retired from racing motos and took up shooting about 18 months ago, I have more money and time than I ever used to.

I personally don't see any need to have a gun for every division. I only really want to shoot 1 or 2 divisions, and they are cheap (production and L10/singlestack).

Still, I'm sure I'll spend over 5k this year, but that includes a new gun in january and this year's AND next year's ammo components as well.

Wait until you start shooting open in USPSA and 3gun:)

When you buy a new gun for $5,000 you don't have an expense of $5,000, you merely converted one asset (cash) into another (guns); consumables and depreciation are the only real expenses.

Spoken like a true accountant. I would argue that any asset that will never be sold is an expense. In your statement on that is depreciated but most everyone (me included) thinks of their personal accounting on a cash basis.

Me I spend about 10K a year on guns and shooting. If I buy more guns one year then I travel to fewer matches.

Retread

See that's the thing, I do sell guns. When I first started shooting USPSA, I knew what was coming, so I sold about two dozen guns, including a Colt Anaconda I bought for $800 and sold a few years later for $1,700 (I thought it was a crazy asking price, but I had five buyers in ten hours who obviously didn't). I don't pretend my hobby is profitable overall, but I've got a good eye for bargains an cash to jump on them when I see them. It helps take the sting out of the consumables.

When you buy a new gun for $5,000 you don't have an expense of $5,000, you merely converted one asset (cash) into another (guns); consumables and depreciation are the only real expenses.
Spoken like a true accountant. I would argue that any asset that will never be sold is an expense. In your statement on that is depreciated but most everyone (me included) thinks of their personal accounting on a cash basis. Me I spend about 10K a year on guns and shooting. If I buy more guns one year then I travel to fewer matches. Retread

Yeah I've been trying to go with that theory as well. If I buy more guns, I tend to do less travel/matches. But it's indeed addictive. It's not like I can control myself when I find this new toy I want to buy, I can't think of anything else until I have it.

I have been trying to explain this to my wife for awhile. That and how low opportunity costs are in this awful economy... and how quickly inflation is robbing money of its value... and what a good investment guns are... and how everybody else has a 2011...

That being said Im roughly 2k based only on poverty and hungry babies. I would be awful with more income.

I spend about $800 on match fees and travel, $20 a month for two local matches and about $600 for big local (Area II & WSSS) match fees and hotel. I probably spend $400 on primers and powder although i had stocked on up primers many, many years ago so not really buying many. Say another $600 on bullets. I consider the local match fees part of my entertainment budget, $20 a month would almost cover a movie with my wife. So $1500 year on items you never get back. I can't tell you the last time I bought any brass unless it was for something new, 44 mag or 45 colt. I don't consider gun purchase or large investment in Dillon machines part of that expense. As has been stated here already those are investments and could be turned to cash sometimes at a profit. I do set aside money from a yearly bonus for a highend purchase, this year that was a LB Custom Carry. But I have also purchased a DPMS Recon, a Super Blackhawk 44, a New Model Blackhawk 45 colt, a XDM 9mm and just ordered another LB. If the cash would have not been there no guns would have been purchased, they come after the components.

Hmmmm. . . . Actually I probably spend only about 1,250 on average per year, after considering the handguns I initially purchased a few years ago. If I averaged it all out over the 7 years I don't think it would come out to no more than 2,500 a year. I knew what I wanted to compete in and what I needed to have to do it, so there was not a lot of "excess" purchases for me.

Edited by Blueridge

I spent a whole lot more in the beginning, what with buying/building the custom guns, all the lessons, the initial outlay for ancillary stuff like reloading equipment and then, of course, match fees and travelling to majors.

I still shoot a lot of matches, but only two or three big matches a year. I stick mainly to USPSA Production and IDPA SSP, where I can buy five G17's or four (OK, three with the drop in extras) G34's for what my first Limited build cost me. The press, even the CasePro have been amortised over the years. So now it's match fees, and reloading components, plus the occasional trip to the Nats or Area matches. Mebbe 3 or 4 K per year.

Edited by kevin c

I shoot "on the cheap". Production gun with the things you "need" to be competive is probably $800 (second hand Glock 34 with a couple extra mags, some trigger work and great sights). Basic belt, holster, mag pouches, 100. After that it's where you shoot. I shoot club matches. Entry is $10. Round count is around 200. So assuming cheap ammo you actually buy, that's another $70 a match. I only shoot one match a month and probably spend another $100 a month on ammo for that. My club costs about a month's ammo a year and has action shooting pits.

So to be a recreational shooter, $1000 to get into it and $200 a month to compete once a month. If you reload, you can get this down a little. But the $1000 outlay for reloading equipment is a decision I haven't made yet.

I have no clue what I'm spending and I don't want to know. As long as there is still cash in the fun fund. I'll keep shooting. If that ever dries up then I'll go from there. I think doing the hard math on it. Would take some of the fun out of it. Right now if I have a bad match. It's just that and I still have fun. If I figure out all the cost involved then I will also think of the "wasted" money. It's all just a game. I'm doing everything I can to keep it that way.

So to be a recreational shooter, $1000 to get into it and $200 a month to compete once a month. If you reload, you can get this down a little. But the $1000 outlay for reloading equipment is a decision I haven't made yet.

I got started in reloading for $200 worth of equipment (lee 50th anniversary kit, brass tumbler, dies). Learned a ton really fast and made my money back in a few months. After 18 months of that, I figured I had saved more than enough to get a dillon 550, and a better scale. I don't think I have $1000 invested in reloading stuff yet.

I shoot around 1000 rds/month. Even the cheapest factory 9mm would cost well north of $200, but I'm reloading 1000 rds (of 40 minor) for $115 (i could be shooting 9mm for $10 or so less). $85/mo adds up pretty fast to pay off the equipment.

Don't forget about the indirect costs of gas for the vehicles, vehicle maintenance for all the extra miles driving to and from matches, food costs for going to matches, hotels, and of course, if your family doesn't shoot, time away from them.

i was going through the same thought, and when I got started it was just with a walther p99 in IDPA. Well shot my first USPSA match, and then 3 gun. I was chasing equipment and spending money on all the latest and greatest. Then I got smart and decided to consolodate. Picked up a 6" 40 2011 with a pile of mags. The cool thing is, I can shoot this in minor for steel, 3 gun, tactical style, homebrew local matches, etc. Load up some major when I care to be USPSA competitive.

This consolidation really brought the costs down, allowed me to forget the gear race and just start shooting. Didn't save me any money on travel, but I could get lead components in bulk for cheap and keep on blasting. Plus 2.8gn clays goes a lonnnng way