Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm not too fond of spiders, but can tolerate 'em for the most part.  The problem I'm having with them lately is that I moved to Texas about 2 eg. daddy long legs are cool, especially when you've pulled off 7 of their legs and they're flipping around in circles!  :lol: )

If you've pulled 7 legs off a Texas Daddy Long Legs, you're already at one too many.

An interesting tidbit: the US version of Daddy Long Legs isn't actually a spider. It is a six-legged insect of the order Opilione.

On another note: I really like the arachnophobia Ron Weasley displays in the Harry Potter books/movies! :lol:

-Chet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've pulled 7 legs off a Texas Daddy Long Legs, you're already at one too many.

In all honesty, I don't know how many legs were removed... I wasn't the one doing the leg removal... that's what brothers are for. ;)

Quantico's USPSA range was once inhabited by Black Widows - ordinarily not a problem except that being a military range, they require you to police up every singe piece of spent brass from spider habitat (the ground) after shooting. It also makes you think twice about picking up the old tires during set-up/take down. I hear they are common in Fredericksburg as well.

This thread sure took off!

I found another Black Widow (sorry, no pics). It was in the trash can guarding an egg sac. My wife had never seen one, so I "coaxed" it out onto a piece of cardboard. She got a good look and the creeps too. Dropped it to the ground and squashed it (good thing I had shoes on!). Then I hosed down the egg sac with bug spray, seven powder, and broke it up with a stick (it was in a real hard to reach spot behind the hinge).

I'm sure there will be more of the little buggers :unsure::ph34r:

Joel

I've had my garage plagued by spiders this year, which sucks because thats where my reloading setup is. And nothing kills the little bastards. The ones outside, I don't mind so much. One of them always builds a giant net on the sides of my porch which I have no problem with, as long as she/he stays away from the steps.

Hey, anyone know how long spiders live? I wonder if it the same spider comes back to the same spot every year or if they are different ones.

Vlad

Rhino..".the man with a gun for everything". Don't you have a "tub" gun to blast the sider with?

Then again I may not want to know.

Hah! Now I know who Caspian 45 is.

Everyone knows that Glocks exist so you can put them in the shower or tub. I have a G17 and a spare mag hanging from the soap caddy ... Glock on a Rope.

The G26 backup is taped to the back of the scrub brush.

If I see any spiders that are too big for 9mm remediation, I'll use a shingling hatchet.

A couple of years ago, at 03:00, my wife sits up in bed with the speed of white light, yells and hits her leg repeatedly. Me, I jump up a grab for the gun and flashlight. 5 seconds later I'm awake and calm enough to ask whats wrong while I turn on the light. She suddenly starts yelling again and jumps out of bed hitting her leg. :o

I look over the bed side and we discover 2 small dead scorpions that have both left their marks on my wifes leg. After some bushmedicine :rolleyes: for me and first-aid for her we went to bed again. Later that morning we found about 15 of the suckers in the bathtub. Must have hatched that night in the drain and sent 2 to scout out the place before launching the full assault. :ph34r:

If it crawls it deserves to die when within 200m of me! <_< Holes in walls and accessories can be repaired.

Rhino..".the man with a gun for everything". Don't you have a "tub" gun to blast the sider with?

Then again I may not want to know.

Hah! Now I know who Caspian 45 is.

Everyone knows that Glocks exist so you can put them in the shower or tub. I have a G17 and a spare mag hanging from the soap caddy ... Glock on a Rope.

The G26 backup is taped to the back of the scrub brush.

Rhino,

I seem to recall an article in AH of several years ago, named "Season of the Handgun" that you should find truly inspirational... :D

I'll try and dig it up, then scan and mail to you (if you will provide an email address).

Rhino, I'm embarassed for you. Everyone knows the only proper shower gun is a G-18. Since no one wears spare magazines into the shower, and you need to exit to reload, and you need a proper supply of ammo and firepower, only a G-18 with an extended 33 round magazine is proper.

Friends do not let friends carry mouseguns.

If you are gonna use the Glock as a shower gun (a fine choice), be sure to get some grip tape on it. Plastic and wet, soapy hands don't go well together.

Oh...and that would give a shooter an excuse to buy those "maritime" spring cups that Glock has.

All this arachnophobia, and nobody has bothered to mention the all time number one reason why the giant garden spiders must die.

Whic is the increadibly nasty feeling of their webbing stuck in your stubble for eternity after walking into one of their giant webs they have built accross some orifice of your dwelling.

Some spiders just don't know where the line is and not to cross it.

If you are gonna use the Glock as a shower gun (a fine choice), be sure to get some grip tape on it.  Plastic and wet, soapy hands don't go well together.

:D Wow , this is a good idea for an IPSC-stage :P

In the early days of IDPA (before anyone was actually a member), we discussed ways of simulating "bloody" hands to make certain scenarios more realistic. The idea was to start with the gun on a table, and the hands in a bucket of soapy water. It'd work for a shower scenario too!

In fact, you could supply a towel for people who choose to use some time drying their hands.

Moved to SW Oklahoma in the early 80's (oil/gas fields were booming). A friend tells me about "Tarantula migration season". Bu!!shit, I say!. Then one day I was coming back from town with his oldest daughter in the truck (she's about 6). In the distance (approx. 3/4 mile) I'm getting that 'shimmer' on the highway. Mirage, some folks call it. Only most mirages stay at some constant distance. This one did not.

At about 200 yards I start thinking something extraterrestrial must be going on and slow my approach. I stopped maybe 20 yards away and my jaw dropped into my lap! There were 100s/1000s of these hairy little creepers crossing the highway. My friend's daughter wants to get out and look (oh, No). So I drive through/over them. I can feel and hear them squishing under my tires; likely the best part of the trip. She's still dying to get a closer look, and not wanting to act like a little girl in front of a little girl, I pull over. As I passed the bed of my truck I reached in and grabbed a broken fishing rod with maybe 5' left on it.

We got pretty close, but they just ignored us. My courage building, I squatted down about 6' from them. While holding her back (the insane little mullet-head wanted to pick some up!) I reached out and poked one with the fishing rod. No reaction; continued marching. I poked a few more. Still no bloodshed. Courage peaking out now. I moved within 3-4' feet and poked another one. That sucker turned in my direction and jumped past me!!!

I cannot say with any certainty what the noise I made resembled. But it was high pitched and wavering. The next thing I knew I was running/stumbling/wailing towards the truck, 6 year old flailing under my left arm and beating the air, the highway and innumerable invisible demons with the fishing rod in my right hand.

Worst part was having to sit through her version of the story at dinner. The little imp told it as it happened, replete with sound effects.

This is my black-widow-at-the-range story:  It was in one of the side berms not far from where we were shooting steel.  Both of us with fully loaded Open guns on and neither of us can see it from any range we're sure we can hit it at first-shot (as last thing we need is an angry poisonous spider flung into the air by a near-miss into the dirt).  So we ended up spraying it with white paint and hoping it would have a fatal identity crisis.

This is my black-widow-at-the-range story: I was reloading mags and heard this intense buzzing. I looked over and saw a large hornet firmly caught in a Black Widow's web. She was stalking him, and I'm sure he eventually lost the battle. I didn't know which one to root for.

One of the scariest moments of my life involved a little old scorpion.

More "new house" stories:

And another new house story:

I was here a couple of months when they cleared the land on both sides of me for more new homes. One night I had just finished preparing my time-activated morning coffe and turned to put the coffee away. This blinding image from my childhood came back to me in an instant. I was 8 years old on Daytona beach and had stepped on that lit cigarette butt all over again. About that time the rational portion of my mind broke through and replied that there were no lit cigarette butts on my kitchen floor. I jumped back and saw the scorpion that had just stung me on my bare instep. A scorpion is no match for a 3-lb. can of coffee.