Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brown recluses are also known as "fiddle-backs," because of the violin shaped marking on their backs. The first year I moved to Wisconsin from Kansas, we had found both types of spiders in some of my vehicles. Seems they hitched a ride. I haven't seen one since the first hard (-30) freeze!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I moved into a new (to us) house in May.

The night before we moved in, we wandered thru the place, and I was amazed at how many spiders were around. So, I decided to nuke the whole place before we started moving in furniture and such.

I went to Home Depot and wandered up and down the insecticide aisle... I wanted "foggers" and found "flea foggers" and "cockroach foggers" and all kinds of other things, but none that targeted spiders.

So then this Cute Young Thing comes around the corner wearing the requisite orange apron, and asks if she can help me. I tell her what I'm looking for, and her response is something to the effect of "well, we have a catch and release program for spiders at our house".

Tired, I sort of snorted and muttered "yeah, right". She said "no, really, many spiders are beneficial around the house and garden. We have a book on spiders, and when we catch one we look it up to determine if it is a house spider or a garden spider, and we release it where it will do the most good. Would you be interested in a book that would help you do that?"

"No", says I. "What I am interested in doing is killing them. All of them. The mothers, the babies, every last one, as fast as possible. Dead, dead, dead."

...long pause...

With a catch in her voice, and the beginning of a tear in her eye, she directed me to a fogger that would do what I wanted. I *almost* felt guilty - while picking up enough to do the whole house twice over. But then... bottom line for me, is, if she wants to rescue spiders, maybe she should find another place to work than the insecticide aisle....

B

Maybe you should have invited her over to clear the place out?

Found another one of those nasty little black widows. I was getting ready to bring the trash can back from the curb and there it was, right under the handle. Must have been an inch or 2 from my hand when I hauled it out the night before. I gotta do that in daylight!

Oh, the spider didn't survive much longer.

Maybe you should have invited her over to clear the place out?

Found another one of those nasty little black widows.  I was getting ready to bring the trash can back from the curb and there it was, right under the handle.  Must have been an inch or 2 from my hand when I hauled it out the night before.  I gotta do that in daylight!

Oh, the spider didn't survive much longer.

I hate spiders also, realizing that they are benificial though I have a solution that works for me... If they stay greater than 3 ft from me I won't kill them (normally). My wife doesn't see it that way, she wants me to kill them all... :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Probably watching too much Animal Planet... but don't the wasps use the Tarantulas (sp?) as 'hosts' for thier young?

Here, September and October and is the mating season, they start coming out of the hills looking for mates. They're getting less and less frequent as houses go further, but always cool to see one. There smaller here than we always found at Camp Bob (Camp Roberts, Paso Robles, CA), but still get 5-6 inches. They're so slow, never bother me.

For what may be the first time ever (and for sure the first time here at my present location), I saw a LARRRRGE brown spider on my front porch (lurking near the threshold step) that must've been 2½-3" long (toe to toe) and I expended my entire supply of adrenalin just forcing myself to look at it. :o:blink::o

Needless to say, I mashed the livin' crap out of it with a broom (brooms, thankfully, have long handles)--and it took three good whacks at that. If I were the fainting type, I would've been long gone. (Better strategy: Kill the sucker first :angry: , THEN faint :wacko: ).

GAH!! I'd never seen anything like it--ever!! And I've lived in a few different places here in the West, to say the least. Sorry if this all sounds wimpy, but man, I could do without ever seeing one of those ever again... :ph34r:

Edited by SiG Lady

For what may be the first time ever (and for sure the first time here at my present location), I saw a LARRRRGE brown spider on my front porch (lurking near the threshold step) that must've been 2½-3" long (toe to toe) and I expended my entire supply of adrenalin just forcing myself to look at it.  :o  :blink::o

Needless to say, I mashed the livin' crap out of it with a broom (brooms, thankfully, have long handles)--and it took three good whacks at that.  If I were the fainting type, I would've been long gone.  (Better strategy:  Kill the sucker first  :angry: , THEN faint  :wacko:  ).

GAH!!  I'd never seen anything like it--ever!!  And I've lived in a few different places here in the West, to say the least.  Sorry if this all sounds wimpy, but man, I could do without ever seeing one of those ever again... :ph34r:

That does it. You're on the short list of people I'm going to call if something like that shows up on my back porch.

...Mark

For a split second I thought of how long it'd take to whip out the digital cam (in the safe) and take a picture of this monster, but I didn't want it to get away (!), so the spider extermination device (broom) quickly became the hot priority. I do kinda wish I'd captured a picture, but I was frankly getting really freaked just having to LOOK at it, so... it was executed. :ph34r::P

I found a tarantula (????) on my hallway wall a few years ago. It was 3 inches across. It might as well been 12 inches across, because that's what it looked like. Anyway, my roomate and I didn't want to get close to it, so we used a broom to get it outside. Then we didn't want it coming back inside. So what do you think we did. Exactly, 12 ga. No more spider. We heard spiders could jump so we were not taking a chances getting close to stomp on him/her.

EXCELLENT!! (I would've used my Kimber Spider Extermination Tool had I not been living in an apartment complex, inside city limits, hovering over a concrete porch--that I would've had to pay for--and so on. The broom-with-silencer was the only choice.) :P

Edited by SiG Lady

I found a tarantula (????) on my hallway wall a few years ago.  It was 3 inches across. It might as well been 12 inches across, because that's what it looked like.  Anyway, my roomate and I didn't want to get close to it, so we used a broom to get it outside.  Then we didn't want it coming back inside.  So what do you think we did.  Exactly, 12 ga.  No more spider. We heard spiders could jump so we were not taking a chances getting close to stomp on him/her.

girls! girls! please

At Sunday's man-on-man steel match in Carson City, I spied a nice black tarantula. (I've never seen one before.) I picked it up and, at the urging of ong45, took it over to a certain female shooter he hoped to scare senseless. She said it was neat, just like the one she used to have as a kid.