Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 610 6" or 646 4"?

zipper046

Getting into revolvers. Have a GREAT 5" 625 with alot of work done to it (the one in my avatar - trigger job, magna-ported, polished flutes, target crown...), that shoots like a dream!

BUT...i reload and shoot .40. So i am on an endeavour to trade my 615 for either a 610 (6") or a 646 and have found 1 of each.

For USPSA shooting which would y'all suggest?

A lot of people have trouble getting fired rounds out of the cylinder for reload's--Me included,,I sold mine ---(646 )

Edited by EEH

Does it have to be a 40 or a 10mm? I have owned the 610 and its slow to reload for me. The 625 JM is easy as cake to reload the shells just fall in to the cylinder. I would recommend a .45 acp for revolver over the 10mm or .40sw. Just my opinion.

Pat

i have owned a 610 for a while and handled 646's ..the 646 is on L frame and is smaller therefor less metal between the chambers for the noses of bullets to hang on. Have had those bad days where every reload with the 610 hit metal instead of chamber.....

The 646 has a Ti cylinder and is theoretically capable of having a lighter trigger due to the lower weight of the cylinder. I have shot an L frame revo and the trigger break is in the wrong place to my hands that are used to my N frames.

If your 625 is ported that will put you in open class in USPSA and ICORE. You will need to change the barrel to a non-ported barrel. On the 610 or 646 I would go with the 610 and if you are really really lucky buy a 5". That is almost like finding hens teeth. Besides you can shoot both 10mm and 40 through the 610 and only 40 through the 646.

Good info guys...thank you. Still researching...i have a fellow Police Officer in my dept who is willing to trade my 625 for his new 646. may go that route since it seems finding a 610 to trade for is not bearing any traction.. :-(

You can always pick up another 625.

My 2 cents.

That's my feeling as well, 625s are always out there and for sale, S&W is still producing them.

A 610&646 are on the rarer side, get it while you can and replace the 625 when funds allow

I've had both. 610 was a beuty but just too big and too heavy for my likes. So I sold it. 646 feels good, but recoil is pretty harsh with major loads. Ti cylinder can also be a problem with the empties. I need to do some polishing and see if that helps. Looked into getting a custom stainless cylinder made for it, but couldn't get anyone to do the work.

I had a 610 and didn't like the way it balanced or felt in my hands. Got a 646 and love it, but recoil is something to consider. I usually have a sore place or blister after a match.

If you like the 610 other than barrel length and weight send it to Clark Gun Co and have them shorten the barrel, You can also have the cylinder fluted to reduce the weight a little more. Clark does excellent work and the turnaround time is usually good.

For me it is an hand size problem: I like L frame while N frame is too big.

I use 646 with 217 grain bullets Major load, sure it kicks, but I can handle it better than 45 GAP S&W 625; though the second one is faster to reload.