Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early on the VM had some issues with the FP retainer but they corrected that. The clamp and thin tube with lose threads was also a problem fixed by a Versatube. There can be a sharp edge here and there, but once fixed they run like a top. I have had maybe 4 or 5 malfunctions when the bolt handle hit a prop. Otherwise I can't make it fumble.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1400544171475.jpg

This is the carrier latch I wrapped a shell in 400 grit wet or dry and sanded where the crease is stamped. I then went to 600 then polished with flitz and felt buffing wheel on the dremel.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1400544301637.jpg

A diferent angle. Take this slow take some material off put it back together and try loading it can be a fine line between loading smooth and having to get a new latch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Should have the gun in my hands by the end of the week.

I have to agree with Mark, the Versa Max is much easier to load and is the softest shooting 12 gauge shotgun I have ever shot by far. It's only weakness is weight, it has been the most reliable gun I have owned and eats any ammo ( I don't buy stuff with crappy crimps etc.. ) but velocity etc... does not matter, it will shoot it - I have owned a 1301 also and did all the port mods etc..., it is by no means a bad gun, just not as nice as my Versa IMO -

I have a new VM Competition and think it will be a great shottie once I get the loading problem fixed.

Right now, the shell is getting stuck on the lifter. I think this is the same problem them others are having. The lifter is too high and interferes with entry into the mag tube. My shells literally get stuck (see pic) and it takes a good deal of pressure to push them over the lifter.

Question to those that have done this (Iowashooter) is: Should I file down the hump on the outside of the lifter or file the inside where the lifter contacts the bolt carrier? or both? I want to do as little as possible since you can't addd material back on once you take it off. Where should I start?

Where does the lifter contact the carrier? Is it the 2 "rails" on each side I would file?

Also, the shells are catching on something once they get past the lifter. I assume that is the shell catch. I will probably file that down some like Iowashooter did but want to address the lifter issue first.

post-32943-0-17872600-1400703003_thumb.j

I filed the back of the lifter and just the 2 edges that contacted the bolt carrier. It really doesn't take much. I also filed sanded and polished the front edge of thw lifter as it was irritating my thunb because it was a little jagged. I posted picturws of my lifter a few posts back.

Thanks Iowashooter. I saw your pictures (and printed them out) but couldn't tell exactly where you filed.

I'll start by just filing the 2 "rails" on the inside of the lifter and see how it works.

Posts like that make me not want to get a VM. I want something that will not be a hassle out of the box.

I'm starting to feel the same. I thought this was the one to get me into the sporting shuotgun area, but I have zero smithing abilities and dont want to get stuck with a big hassle.

Posts like that make me not want to get a VM. I want something that will not be a hassle out of the box.

I have yet to see anything 100% race ready put of the box. Unless you buy a taran tactical or something like that. You could go with an MOA precision m3000 and Tom takes care of all the hassles for you and ita less than the VM, 1301 or m2.

I have yet to see anything 100% race ready put of the box. Unless you buy a taran tactical or something like that. You could go with an MOA precision m3000 and Tom takes care of all the hassles for you and ita less than the VM, 1301 or m2.

True that. You either have to do the work or pay someone to do the work. My Beretta required a bunch of filing to get load 2 weak hand to work at all (maybe you can load it stock with some other method). It's good now and really not that much work, nor does it require much skill, but taking a file to a 1k shotgun the second day you have it not really enjoyable.

Quoting this for truth. No gun will be absolutely ready out of the box. We've had people ask why they need all the work we do on their Benelli, get it back, and claim they could never go stock again.

This is because manufacturers need to find a median specification for all uses. A three gun shotgun will function very differently than a shotgun tuned for other activities. A good rule of thumb that I've heard repeated would be to tack on at least the full price of the gun to the retail price for aftermarket work.

Getting a good platform and having it done right is a ' cry once and never again ' sort of ordeal. If you purchase cheap and get cheap work done, you're going to constantly have problems and be outperformed by similarly skilled shooters with more reliable and better functioning equipment.

True that. You either have to do the work or pay someone to do the work. My Beretta required a bunch of filing to get load 2 weak hand to work at all (maybe you can load it stock with some other method). It's good now and really not that much work, nor does it require much skill, but taking a file to a 1k shotgun the second day you have it not really enjoyable.

That is one thing I really like bout the VM competition tactical. I didn't need to file the port so the finish is still intact and I like the looks of the green.