Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After practicing loading with mine for the first time tonight, the port is very nice you could take it deeper but I dont think it is needed. The forend does need a trim, I did modify the shell catch by creating a radius where the crease is. It helped quite a bit but where the fork in the lifter is filled in is raised a little too high and the shells are bottoming out on the top(well bottom of gun but top of tube/reciever when gun is inverted for quad loading) of the tube and stalling or slowing your momentum which makes it a little harder to get the shells past the latch. To cure this I might try filing th back side of the lifter so it can be pressed further down against the bolt. I am hesitant to do this as I dont want to end up stubbing my shells on the "taint" of the reciever. One might also try filing a small radius similar to a stoeger m3k or a 1301 in the front of the lifter. It can be loaded ok as is but there is room for improvement. I may wait to modify the lifter as replacements are not yet readily available. As far as manipulation it is a great feeling gun with a natural point the sight picture is excellent with the xs rear. Fit and finish is great except for the packaging I would pay the extra 25-40 bucks for a hard case just to protect it in shipping. Mine came with a small ding in the barrel from things coming loose and floating around in the box. I know this is going to get beat up anyways being thrown in dump barrels and what not I just wanted to put the first scratch on it not UPS. Overall very pleased with my purchase and weather and time permitting I am hoping to put some rounds downrange on Saturday with this new peice of hardware. If anyone has any engineering ideas for the lifter I am all ears. I love the gun and will be my go to for everything from upland to trap to 3 gun and slug season. It may look a little unconventional for some of those applications but I think it will be the perfect tool for the job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Iowashooter

Also as far as threads are concerned a regular versamax, 870 extension should work. My factory 870 magazine end cap screwed right on.

You were able to use a tube nut from a 870 on your new Versamax 3 gun model or the regular Versamax? I tried a tube nut from my 11-87 and it did not fit my Versamax 3 gun model.

yeah I'm gonna do it tomorrow over lunch.....can't wait! I had a bunch of MGM stuff show up today too...Clay pigeon holders, some knock down target stands...and a bunch of 5" round knockdowns....should be a great time testing it out :)

I just got done with a short range session with mine. It is very soft shooting takes much less form and effort to effectively manage recoil. Probably cut splits in half from my stoeger m3000. I shot 3 winchester super x 1600fps slugs through it and it shot about a 3 inch group off hand at 50 yds windage was good but about 5 inches high. I think this will be an excellent shotgun for the sport.

got it home last night and tore into it. there are a few issues...like stated above the lifter pinches the shell where it's filled in. it's just a tad too tall where they filled in the notch but no biggie though...popped the lifter out and took a hand file to the top of it....took off only a couple thousandths and it was perfect. shells slide right into the magazine now. I'm going to polish the lifter which should make it even nicer.

the mag well is pretty good right from the factory but does need some edges to be rounded a bit and polished.

other than that it seems pretty sweet. I've got a bag full of shells and some MGM targets in my trunk...gonna be testing it out today over lunch.

note*** yeah that box they shipped it in was a f*#king JOKE! I have no idea how that thing survived UPS and all their horror! plus...it wasn't even wrapped in a plastic bag and it was coated in a ton of oil....so the action had all sorts of dust and little pieces of crap in it and stuck to the oil. I'm sure they saved themselves a decent amount of money...but I do not doubt for a second that a lot of people will have guns going back to the shipper due to damage.

I have seen several complaints from the folks who bought just the Versa Max Tactical about the boxing and damage during shipping. My question is can you pay extra to have it shipped in a hard case?

Also as stated above I would like to see some videos of this gun in action.

No you cannot pay extra to have one shipped in a hard case.

I made a few minor mods tonight for easy loading. I filed on the back of the lifter so that the lifter can go deeper into the reciever before it bottoms out on the bolt carrier. I filed the back just so I can keep my gun pretty as long as possible. I also filed the forend to remove the lip for easier quad loading.

Here are a few pictures of the filing I did on the fore end. post-49817-139908072999_thumb.jpgpost-49817-139908075034_thumb.jpg

I used an 8 in bastard file and just filed at an angle. I was runing the second set of shells into the fore end on the ejection port side, and it was getting them out of line. That is why I filed the sides as well.

Here are a few pictures of the filing I did on the fore end. attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1399080729613.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1399080749645.jpg

I used an 8 in bastard file and just filed at an angle. I was runing the second set of shells into the fore end on the ejection port side, and it was getting them out of line. That is why I filed the sides as well.

I don't get how Remington dropped the ball on this. There aren't many more important factors to have considered when designing this.

New versamax competition tactical maiden voyage:

Here is a short video of me running the gun on a short stage I set up I started with a round chambered loaded 10 and then engaged 6 knockdown steel and 2 poppers for 10-18 yards with an improved cylinder choke.

We also shot a few trap with it today. I had no problem on aerial targets with the xs rear sight in.

I will also be doing a video soon of a comparison between the beretta 1301 versamax competition tactical, and the stoeger m3000.

Edited by Iowashooter

We also shot a few trap with it today. I had no problem on aerial targets with the xs rear sight in.

I will also be doing a video soon of a comparison between the beretta 1301 versamax competition tactical, and the stoeger m3000.

Looking forward to seeing this also

yeah I'm gonna do it tomorrow over lunch.....can't wait! I had a bunch of MGM stuff show up today too...Clay pigeon holders, some knock down target stands...and a bunch of 5" round knockdowns....should be a great time testing it out :)

How much did you take off ? And maybe a picture would be great

Edited by Moses613