Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up my VM Comp from the dealer and ran home to try to do a few loads. As mentioned here, the lifter and shell catch need some work. I'll get on it tonight and see if I can get it resolved.

Thanks!

My VM Comp is very hard to load. Shells get stuck on the lifter. It's like the lifter is too high. It interferes with the path into the tube.

So I did a lot of filing on the lifter and it is still difficult to get rounds into it. Something isn't right. Everything looks like it fits right, but it doesn't.

I think my issue is different than what most are talking about.

I called Remington and told them about the problem. I'm sending it to them so they can fix it.

Just sent it off today. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

My VM Comp is very hard to load. Shells get stuck on the lifter. It's like the lifter is too high. It interferes with the path into the tube.

So I did a lot of filing on the lifter and it is still difficult to get rounds into it. Something isn't right. Everything looks like it fits right, but it doesn't.

I think my issue is different than what most are talking about.

I called Remington and told them about the problem. I'm sending it to them so they can fix it.

Just sent it off today. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

In my experience is not the lifter, is the shape of the mouth of the receiver right before it connects with the magazine tube. In the right upper quadrant and left upper quadrant there is a ridge that caused the brass end of the shells to get caught. I got dremell happy and got rid of the ridge and now it loads 2 as easy as a knife going through butter.

I have done the following mods to mine:

I cut it the buttstock and changed the pad to a small limbsaver pad now fits me perfect with a 13 inch pull

Changed the rear sight to the lowest one now has good groups with slugs at 50 yards

It was difficult to load 2 so I made the mods that Iowashooter described and helped a little, my observation is that the brass part of the shell gets caught in the entrance oft the mag tube if the shells are fed at an angle more than 35 degrees, that is is the flatter they are along the axis of the mag tube the easier they go in but if you are going two load 2 or 4 that is going to be hard. I noticed that there is a ridge on the receiver right before the mag tube connects with the receiver at 10 and 3 o'clock that is we're the brass part of the shells get caught so I got rid of it with a dremell and problem is solved. Do it at your own risk you may end up with an expensive paperweight. I also changed the follower to a nordic components and I painted the end fluorescent orange the original was gold color the same color that the brass of some shells have!!! I think the ROs will appreciate that.

post-30363-0-53281200-1400887301_thumb.j

post-30363-0-57694200-1400887511_thumb.j

Edited by Mad Doc

I go drive the pin out towards the ejection port and in from the loading port towards the ejection port make sure you dont go to far with the roll pin or it will stcik out into the slot where the bolt rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I go drive the pin out towards the ejection port and in from the loading port towards the ejection port make sure you dont go to far with the roll pin or it will stcik out into the slot where the bolt rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Mine has been running awesome now since it showed up. I only had time to function test about 150 shells and zero my slugs, and then it was off to the first match. It ran awesome at the match. No hiccups and was a pleasure to shoot!

Definitely the smoothest shooting shotgun I've ever played with.

http://youtu.be/Z-BvaMpn5Tw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wait to get mine it will be here this week. I had a chance to shoot one briefly at the 3gn western regional and it seemed pretty nice. I am really happy with my 1301 but am looking forward to a direct comparison between the two.

I just ordered one today. I am excited to see how she runs. I was trying to decide if I should just get the tactical but wound up just buying the comp version.

Just an update: I have not fired a shot through mine yet. Made the 20 minute drive out to the range yesterday only to find a locked gate. I guess they were taking Memorial Day off, as well. Good for them... Everybody needs a little time off. I spent an hour or so the two previous nights working on the lifter and the shell latch. It's about 50-60% better than it was, but I still need to work on the latch. I have not trimmed the forend, but that should be the easiest of the mods, and it is absolutely necessay for quad loads. At this point, I am considering running the gun up to Triangle and letting Benny and the crew do the rest of the mods as they are only a couple hours north of me. I think the receiver can be opened up quite a bit more, and I know whatever they do will look alot more professional than what I can do. My dad has a Triangle VM, and it loads easier than any gun I have ever picked up.

A couple of other notes: It is obvious that the gun was test fired before it left the factory. Good on Remington for making sure the thing runs before sending it out the door. What confuses me is why they wouldn't run a bore snake or something through the darn thing after they shot it. I spent damn near an hour working on the barrel to get it clean and I've never even loaded a live round through the thing. I ended up using a brush wrapped in steel wool and a cordless drill to finally get the fouling out. That is without a doubt the hardest barrel to get clean I have ever dealt with. I would not have paid that much attention, but my dad's gun has had fouling in the barrel since the day he got it. He can't get the barrel clean to save his life and has decided just to live with it.

Last thing: Since someone test fired the gun, it stands to reason that they had to load it. The gun was so hard to load before any of my mods, that I am surprised it passed QC. Loading one shell at a time was a painful, two-handed affair... load twos and quads were impossible.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll keep you guys informed as I move forward.

-J