Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max 3 Gun Edition

JRicks

I just got mine today. This is one good looking shotgun. But the packaging is horrible. A cardboard box for a $1200+ shotgun are you kidding me. Remington needs to step up there game in that department. Nice selection of chokes and stock fitment parts though.

I gotta figure out how to make a good limiter for the magazine tube as I will probable use this one for Turkey season as well.

What do you normally do with the box your gun comes in? Would have have preferred a different sheen on the box?

The last few shotguns I have purchased came with hard plastic cases and everything was secured in them. This one had a cardboard box the three extra chokes were rolling around in the box, two of them were out of the plastic tubes, the extra fiber optic sights were actually in the action of the gun. I assume from being loose in the box. The lock and the allen wrench were floating around in the box as well. The cheek riser and the stock extensions were the only extras that were secure, they were in a small cardboard cut out in the box. As for cardboard boxes yes they get tossed. But like I said the last few shotguns and rifles I have purchased have come in hard cases, even if it was a foam lined cardboard box it would be better than the way it was packaged. It literally rattled when I picked it up this morning. Luckily no notable damage from shipping that way.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up my Competition Tactical today. Looking forward to getting some trigger time with it. Leg injury has me on the sidelines but hoping to shoot it early next week. Hopefully range report to follow soon.

For those of you that have delicate skin like me :) and the charging handle is biting into your skin from unloading multiple shells you can try lead tape found at any golf store. Works great!

post-30363-0-99921500-1401933625_thumb.j

Well I got the lifter polished up a bit, cleaned up the shell catch a bit and smoothed the edge on the extractor cut. Loads much better now. Cant wait to shoot it.

You guys are getting great prices, here in CA, the best price I found was $1500 before tax...

Buds gun shop ships 1330 plus your transfer fee

Well I don't see them in stock... at least around here $75 Transfer + $30 Dros + Shipping (if any) again getting close to 1500 before tax... Just curious how guys were out the door for low 1300's that all.

I didn't pay shipping or transfers.

Yeah see unfortunately the guys with them in stock are price gouging and shipping one is about the same... Price I pay I guess to live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia :/

What do you normally do with the box your gun comes in? Would have have preferred a different sheen on the box?

There have been lots of VS competitions with damage due to the shitty packaging. I think what people are saying is that when you're spending $1300-$1600 on a shotgun it's nice to have it show up in something other than a $5 cardboard box.

Swapping barrels is cake. And the comp's carbon sleeve is suspiciously similar to Mark's... ;)

Awesome, my new Comp is on its way... after doing the math, I realized that even with the stupid prices here in CA, I was coming out on top. Last thing I need is another "Project" gun that I start and never finish or take so long to finish that I don't get to use it. As I type this from my desk, i look around at 4 different gun projects in varying states of completeness.

I sure hope Mark is making some money off it.

Swapping barrels is cake. And the comp's carbon sleeve is suspiciously similar to Mark's... ;)

Awesome, my new Comp is on its way... after doing the math, I realized that even with the stupid prices here in CA, I was coming out on top. Last thing I need is another "Project" gun that I start and never finish or take so long to finish that I don't get to use it. As I type this from my desk, i look around at 4 different gun projects in varying states of completeness.

They were supposed to get me a Comp model in exchange for the input...so not yet. Too trusting I guess. :)

There have been lots of VS competitions with damage due to the shitty packaging. I think what people are saying is that when you're spending $1300-$1600 on a shotgun it's nice to have it show up in something other than a $5 cardboard box.

While I don't have much use for a hard case for a gun that never gets broken down for transport, I can certainly agree with the expectation that the gun and its parts should be packaged securely.

They were supposed to get me a Comp model in exchange for the input...so not yet. Too trusting I guess. :)

Maybe after they can hold them in stock for more than a couple minutes ;) it was like pulling teeth trying to find mine

Picked mine up last week and just spent the majority of the day doing some mods. Right out of the box mine was a PITA to load even one shell. I took some material off the lifter and polished it to a mirror shine. That helped a little but the major problem for me was the shell latch. I filed down the end of the latch just a touch and loading was easier but not quite right. I then put a little radius in the latch and it loads much smoother. I also cut the hand guard but may have to take more off to make quad loading easier.

Now with the mods that I did today it still seems my JM Pro loads much easier. So this question is to the guys that opened up the port where the magazine meets the receiver. The two hump like things at the 3 o'clock and 10 o'clock position. How much did this mod help with loading?

Looking down into the loading port I can see where the shells has rubbed the finish off of the receiver on the right hand side right at this point. Could smoothing that out and polishing it up just a little make loading easier? Risk vs Reward worth it??????

Picked mine up last week and just spent the majority of the day doing some mods. Right out of the box mine was a PITA to load even one shell. I took some material off the lifter and polished it to a mirror shine. That helped a little but the major problem for me was the shell latch. I filed down the end of the latch just a touch and loading was easier but not quite right. I then put a little radius in the latch and it loads much smoother. I also cut the hand guard but may have to take more off to make quad loading easier.

Now with the mods that I did today it still seems my JM Pro loads much easier. So this question is to the guys that opened up the port where the magazine meets the receiver. The two hump like things at the 3 o'clock and 10 o'clock position. How much did this mod help with loading?

Looking down into the loading port I can see where the shells has rubbed the finish off of the receiver on the right hand side right at this point. Could smoothing that out and polishing it up just a little make loading easier? Risk vs Reward worth it??????

Once I got the shell catch and lifter right, it was a 100% better load than my JM. I also trimmed the magazine spring twelve inches past the magazine tube. The more I've loaded the easier it has loaded. Also as far as Full Choke tubes. CDNN has Remington Pro bore chokes for $15.

I got rid of the bumps with a dremel and now it loads very easy

post-30363-0-54449500-1402623715_thumb.j

Very frustrating to me that you'd have to buy a gun and modify it immediately to even be able to load it. Mine doesn't load well, and I'm thinking about just sending it off to the Hills instead of screwing with it myself

" the Hills". ?