Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA matches being called IPSC matches

CHA-LEE

I shoot USPSA, not IP-Sick. If someone tells me, "oh, i know what you do, IP-Sick right?" I tell them "No, it's USPSA" and then explain the difference.

I am so tired of Dumbing stuff down for people in order to help them understand. ( applies to more than just USPSA vs IPSC ).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shoot what was at one time referred to as Combat Shooting, obviously that will not fly in today's climate. Practical Shooting sort of explains it, Dynamic Shooting is more properly descriptive, but then you have to assume that the listener understands that dynamic would mean a changing state as opposed to a static state as in Bulls Eye.No matter what we call what we do, we will have to explain it.

One range I shoot at has IPSICK painted on the storage trailers we keep the props in! We have recently changed our calendar to say USPSA and further Action Shooting.

So, call it what you want, explain it as needed. When talking to the IDPA'er that thinks IPSC is all $4000 race guns, it may pay to use USPSA. Too bad we don's have a catchy acronym, something pronounceable.

Too bad we don's have a catchy acronym, something pronounceable.

Agreed. I don't so much mind explaining what we shoot but USPSA just doesn't roll off the tongue does it?

I compete in the sport called Practical Shooting. I'm a member of the USPSA which is the governing body in the US of the sport of Practical Shooting. Which is a member of the IPSC the international governing body of the sport.

Practical Shooing is in the name of both organizations. This differentiates it from IDPA which is Defensive Pistol, Steel Challenge and Action Shooting none of which have Practical shooting in their names.

So, when someone asks me what shooting sport I do I generally say, "Practical Shooting." Getting into what organization runs what is best left until some later point in a new shooter's or interested possible new shooter's. Mainly because it really doesn't matter.

Edited by GigG

You know it kinda used to bother me too. At my local club alot of the original members who started our local club and were shooting prior to about 5 years ago still call it Ip-sic. One of the local area gun clubs that hosts monthly matches still has it listed as IPSC on their calender. I got over it though. But I do explain what it means to our new shooters. I just tell them "It used to be called IPSC, now its USPSA." Then later they seem to figure it out.

There are uspsa match directors who are asking current ipsc members from other countries to get uspsa membership in order to sign up for their matches (including some section and area level matches). Which lead me to conclusion couple years ago that uspsa is not ipsc. But when I brought it up on Global Village forum, I've got personally banned by ipsc secretary himself. :)

I admit I was wrong, but it seem like some match directors need to refresh their knowledge of uspsa rule book.

I once told a co-worker that I do "Practical Shooting". She laughed and asked "as opposed to Impractical shooting?". Action pistol seems to work better in some cases.

No Action Shooting is what the NRA does.

Impractical is what they do at Camp Perry with pistols.

Edited by GigG

Will the organization name ever be standardized before the target names are? We shoot at ISPC targets if they have a head on them and classic targets if it is the turtle. It will be a never ending battle to get people to refer to USPSA as long as we shoot at ISPC targets.

Edited by de03x7

Will the organization name ever be standardized before the target names are? We shoot at ISPC targets if they have a head on them and classic targets if it is the turtle. It will be a never ending battle to get people to refer to USPSA as long as we shoot at ISPC targets.

The headed target is called the Metric Target...

eta: (which they no longer use in IPSC :rolleyes: )

Edited by ChuckS

The headed target is called the Metric Target...

eta: (which they no longer use in IPSC :rolleyes: )

You are correct, by the rule book they are metric targets. However the stage briefings for the classifier stages call them IPSC targets. The USPSA can't even agree on a name for them between the rule book and the stage briefing. How will everyone ever agree on rather to call it an IPSC match or a USPSA match? For what it's worth I have only been shooting a few years and refer to it as USPSA. I agree that it should be referred to as USPSA because it was a pain trying to figure out what game I was getting into when I started. I've been around long enough now to know what is going on and thankfully most of the rules are or at least were about the same.

I call it USPSA when talking to shooters who don't compete or those guys who shoot IDPA and don't like "IPSC".

I agree, it should be called USPSA. I have friends who say they are going to shoot skeet this afternoon....There are no skeet ranges in Eagle County, Colorado! What they mean is they are going to bring a thrower out to the field and shoot trap!

You realize Trap is a sport just like Skeet is right??

They won't be shooting Trap anymore than they will be shooting Skeet. Lol.

I just took a CRO course and you must now refer to the targets as Metric or Classic in the WSB depending on what type is used in the stage.

Brian

Do you by chance have a link to this rule? I checked the NROI ruling link and I didn't see anything there. Rule

3.2.2 reads, The Range Official in charge of a course of fire must read out the written stage briefing verbatim to each squad.

All of the classifier stage briefings refer to the targets as IPSC or classic.They also refer to US poppers and the rule book calls them mini poppers. Man I need winter to go away so I can get outside and shoot the targets regardless of what they are called.

3.2.1 A written stage briefing approved by the Range Master must be posted at each course of fire prior to commencement of the match. This briefing will take precedence over any course of fire information published or otherwise communicated to competitors in advance of the match, and it must provide the following minimum information:

— Scoring Method:

Targets (type & number):

— Minimum number of rounds:

— The handgun ready condition:

— Start position:

— Time starts: audible or visual signal:

— Procedure:

I always interpreted that to mean paper or steel, but I guess it could also mean which specific type of paper target.

I think we should start using code words in place of USPSA or IPSC. For the people who don't care about it anyway they won't feel threatened or confused. For the people who are interested, they'll remember USPSA better after having to overcome the mental hurdle of getting around the code word. I "MIGHT" be the CEO of a company someday for out of the box thinking like that.

Edited by Dragon11

Different rule book = different sport. Ask a European and an American to meet you for some football and they'll show up with different gear and expectations. If in America, common sense would hopefully indicate to the European that you mean American football and vice-versa. Names have meaning so we should call it what it is like it or not.

Different rule book = different sport. Ask a European and an American to meet you for some football and they'll show up with different gear and expectations. If in America, common sense would hopefully indicate to the European that you mean American football and vice-versa. Names have meaning so we should call it what it is like it or not.

Not quite the same. I USPSA not still a member of IPSC?