Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF, too slow for 9mm?

twister

It's all I use anymore for 9 minor. 3.7-4.2 under a 147, depending on lead/jacket/plated, and temperature. It reverse temp sensitive so I have to crank it up a little in the summer, but it's very soft shooting in all my guns. I heard a rumor that the AA team Glock load uses WSF.

5.2 to 5.3gr WSF with a 115gr Montana Gold FML and 4.8 to 4.9gr WSF with 124gr FMJ were both fine loads. These may have had a bit more recoil that "gamer" loads with Titegroup, N-320, or the like, but they accurate, clean and about in the middle of the recommended load range for those bullets.

I use WSF. I am more interested in accuracy than recoil impulse, since it does not really make that much difference to me. 4.5+ grains of WSF on a Missouri 124b round nose (note all I can get now) is very accurate at 130pf.

5.2 to 5.3gr WSF with a 115gr Montana Gold FML and 4.8 to 4.9gr WSF with 124gr FMJ were both fine loads. These may have had a bit more recoil that "gamer" loads with Titegroup, N-320, or the like, but they accurate, clean and about in the middle of the recommended load range for those bullets.

+1 for 5.3 with 115 JHP MG shoots well in STI 4.15 and G34,G17.

WSF is one of my favorite powders for 9mm. The only thing about WSF is it runs best with mid to upper end loads. So if that is what you are after then great. But if you want powder puff loads then use something faster.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to load some xtremes 115 and 124s using wsf to try hem in my p99... Anyone here had good luck with them ?

I've been using 4.1 w231 for years but someone told me wsf is much cleaner..

Edited by Rockets

WSF will give much lower pressure for the same velocity compared with W231. For the same power factor, I have observed that WSF will give visibly slower slide velocities and a milder recoil impulse.

Mick

Getting ready to load some xtremes 115 and 124s using wsf to try hem in my p99... Anyone here had good luck with them ?

I've been using 4.1 w231 for years but someone told me wsf is much cleaner..