Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reseating High Primers?

dtt255

It is usually because it is not totally within the primer pocket and the anvil gets caught and pinches between the cup and the pocket.

I have a RCBS hand unit handy everytime I QC my ammo and if there is one that is not below flush it gets a squeeze before it goes out the door.

I understand the caution but a hand squeezer is different than a firing pin.

DougC

Unless you are seating primers with a hammer snd a nail, there is no way it will go off while seating. A primer requires this special thing called impact and it needs to be concentrated in the center of the primer cup and it needs to have enough force to indent the cup and pinch the priming compound between the cup and the anvil, see. The risk is not 1%. It is .000000000001% provided you are possessed by an anti-gun demon. If you go to church the risk is .00000000000000000000001%.

I think that if this were true, there wouldnt be a shield around the primer tube on the Dillon presses. I have a friend who has made the whole stack go boom, and some research in this forum will find more examples of this phenomenon.

Hmmm.. Primers detonate in presses on occasion.

We are talking probabilities... in over 30 years of reloading, untold rounds, I have not had one primer go off.

Guilty... I had re-seated many primers in loaded rounds. Mostly using hand primer.

But I will not advise anyone to do so, and will likely reduce or eliminate that practice.

It hasn't happend in long time,I do remember

Reseating with the lee hand primer. But after reading these replys, I won't do that way again.

i have reseated a few primers that were a little high...and did not give it a second thought... my BAD !! but i won't do it again..

I routinely use my dillon press to re-seat primers that appear too high (even flush is too high in my anal-retentive world). Can't even begin to estimate how many times I've done this, but conservatively maybe 20K over the years.

Never had any problems but I do take the safety precaution of squeezing my eyes tightly shut before I slam the handle home. YMMV - I'm just a thrill-seeker.

I routinely use my dillon press to re-seat primers that appear too high (even flush is too high in my anal-retentive world). Can't even begin to estimate how many times I've done this, but conservatively maybe 20K over the years.

Never had any problems but I do take the safety precaution of squeezing my eyes tightly shut before I slam the handle home. YMMV - I'm just a thrill-seeker.

Me too except the closing my eyes and slamming it lol.

Pat

I reseat the very occasional high primer carefully on a single stage. I figure since I am really paying attention to this less than wise operation I will have time to duck under the bench if I light one off.

I don't mind most of these answers. There are still a lot of " It hasn't happened before, so it won't happen now.". Please don't get caught up in that form of lazy thinking. We keep our finger off the trigger until ready to take a shot because it's safe. Not because we have shot somebody by mistake before. I call it the "immortality theory". Since I haven't died before, it can't happen now. Please cut the advise that if you ignore safety rules, but do it slowly or often, you'll be OK. I know it may sound silly, but just my two cents. :)

There's your problem right there. Dillon presses.

Dillon makes the best presses out there.

Pat

The point was that progressive presses which manipulate primers automatically will crush primers sometimes. A hand priming tool or a press mounted tool or even a progressive tool will not set off a primer once it is seated because it does not have a firing pin. Primers are robust, else they would detonate in shipping.

Think about light primer strikes. The first consideration is always a high primer. Now why would a press set off a primer when reseating it if a firearm can't set it off with a full blown impact of the firing pin???

There's your problem right there. Dillon presses.

Dillon makes the best presses out there.

Pat

The point was that progressive presses which manipulate primers automatically will crush primers sometimes. A hand priming tool or a press mounted tool or even a progressive tool will not set off a primer once it is seated because it does not have a firing pin. Primers are robust, else they would detonate in shipping.

Think about light primer strikes. The first consideration is always a high primer. Now why would a press set off a primer when reseating it if a firearm can't set it off with a full blown impact of the firing pin???

I have had great luck with my Dillons. I see no reason to use a hand priming tool when I have been reloading for 20 years without one.

Pat

What is the difference between priming with a hand priming device and seating a high primer with the same equipment ???

To me there is no difference. I used to reseat high primers with a hand priming tool but I found a bench priming tool much easier for the job. I have reseated many primers with it (especially Federal primers I thought were too high for my "Carmonized" M67) and will continue to do so.

If I can accidentally completely crush a primer turned the wrong way in to a case using a 550 and not experience a problem then I can reseat a primer using a bench or hand priming tool.