Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

highest pf .40 you've fired?

blaster113

While running the chrono at our State match I fired a competitor's .40 reloads through his STI; 180 grain jhps good for 192 pf. Velocity was in the 1080 fps range. He was a newer shooter concerned about making major...

I thought factory .40 was hot at 180 pf. Out of curiousity anyone seen loads hotter than 192+ with a .40? Didnt occur to me until much later that the load might have been unsafe. If I recall the load was factory length

Edited by blaster113

I think it would really depend on the powder. I shot the Florida Sectional with 180PF for the same reason since I haven't been able to Chrono in the summer here in New England yet and my powder is reverse temp sensitive. So it theoretically could've been under 165PF by the end of the day in the sun if I had used my cold weather loads. If I was using an even slower powder I could definately make a safe 190-195 load. Wouldn't do it with Silhouette powder, but I'm sure it can easily be done.

Ballistic performance Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy 135 gr (9 g) Federal Premium JHP Reduced Recoil 1,190 ft/s (360 m/s) 424 ft·lbf (575 J) 155 gr (10 g) Guardian Gold JHP 1,205 ft/s (367 m/s) 500 ft·lbf (680 J) 165 gr (11 g) Remington Golden Saber 1,150 ft/s (350 m/s) 485 ft·lbf (658 J) 180 gr (12 g) Magtech FMJ-FP 1,050 ft/s (320 m/s) 441 ft·lbf (598 J) 200 gr (13 g) Doubletap FMJ-FP 1,050 ft/s (320 m/s) 490 ft·lbf (660 J)

Test barrel 4"

Cribbed from Wikipedia

210 PF on last factory load

I have loaded 6.8 gr. of Long Shot shotgun powder with 180 gr. JFN and averaged 1100 fps with a power factor of 198,000. After 1800 rounds everything seems to be fine. Pistol is a Sig P226.

got some pretty hot loads posted. I don't feel too bad shooting 179 pf. reloads at my first major in 2009. I've fired different factory 180 grain jhps/FMJ and have gotten pfs in the 180 range from my different STI's, including my 6". Nothing close to 190.

Edited by blaster113

I still have box or two of the old (REALLY old) lead 220 grain FPs - the "Todd Jarrett" signature line (they really printed his signature on every box).

I think those, loaded long, out of a 2011 could achieve astronomical PFs. But, for our sport - they'd kick miserably and slow you down.

For "bowling pin loads" - they might be competitive.

some of the loads posted are creeping into the low end of 10mm territory

True enough. Although another 200 fps would be hard on the brass.

Mind numbing, but PF is meaningless if you don't have the gun tuned for it.

A shot a competition in standard division with 182 pf, just because i didn't know of any 200 grain + N340 combo yet. I load a 208.8 PF 180 grain JHP "wilderness load" which is still shootable in pairs.

I was running a experiment for my on info and loaded 180 berry's in my p16-40 I long loaded them to 2.20 and used a midrange 10mm load got 1240 fps. gave me a power factor of 223.2 I only loaded 10 and it satisfied my curiosity, brass did not show a excessive amout of pressure but I do not load this load for everyday shooting. Also I use a midrange burn rate powder so I did not get a large fast presure spike.

I dunno... Using Longshot which has a load range of 6.2-8grns with an 180grn bullet in 40cal, you can push it pretty fast. I only used 7.0grns with a Zero JHP to get a little over 1100fps for a 20 shot average in a 4.5" XDm (198.4pf), but the Zero's seem to be a "fast" bullet in that gun. A Ranier FP 180 only went 1062fps in the same gun with the same load. It would seem easy to go "supersonic" at the 1150fps range of velocity or a bit more, and go well over 207pf if you wanted to. The 7grn load shot nicely with no excessive recoil and follow up shots were not a problem.

I have shot a lot of Speer Lawman FMJ and Speed Gold dot HP's, and like mentioned above, they are stout in a Glock 22. A couple of weeks ago I chrono'ing some loads and shot a copule of 180 Speer Lawman loads over the chrono from my oldest 6" STI. Three rounds averaged 1090 fps!

holy crap, I've fired all sorts of 180 grain duty ammo out of my G22s but never any Lawman stuff. Must be fun shooting 196 pf ammo out a short barrel plastic gun haha. Even the old Blazer aluminum case .40 180 grain TMJ felt stout compared to the other factory stuff.

going to brew some fun ammo to break in my Gen4 G20 with 180 gr bullets and some Open gun powder. We'll see what kind of fun 9.0-9.9 grains of N105 will create :goof: