Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo's future availability?

robmont

The priority for the mfg is to put focus on to loaded ammo as the margin is better than component sales. I work in the Cabelas network and we are getting many products in weekly. However they go out as quick-even with limits on purchases. Jaxshooter is entirely correct and we will need to wait for our manufacturers to fill what they make the most profit on. Remember there are very few component manufacturers and lots of remarketers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of the people buying it right now are placing it on armslist, gunbroker etc. Armslist looks just like a list of walmarts inventory at 2-3 times the price. Gunbroker, everytime a large place releases ammo cheap it ends up marked way up on gun broker. Cabelas has stopped the mass ordering now by placing limits on ammo(they use to be a huge source for the flippers) It will really take people to quit buying off these sites at the prices as the guys doing it are making a ton of tax free income off it. Take away the reason to buy like that and they are out of the buying market It will take a few months at least

I could not agree with you more. I have been checking local Armslist and you can buy ammo anytime if you want to pay double or triple the price. I simply refuse to do it! I am new to the shooting sports (3Gun). I spent all of last year buying equipment (guns included). Now I have my equipment I am having trouble finding the ammo to shoot not to even mention practices. I am one of the ones that didn't have time to prepare, didn't have the extra cash at the time to prepare. So for now practice is very limited shotgun only (which is a good thing) and alot of dry firing. I will shoot less matches for now. I am considering getting into reloading but the start up costs not to mention finding the equipment plus the components right now. I'm sure there are other new shooters in the same boat. So for now I am just saving money and learning a lesson for the furture.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have noticed. I also noticed the UN Conerence on the Small Arms Treaty is March 18 to the 28th .

They have been trying to disarm us since 1989! It's coming!

Try? Yes. But they will never get it done. At least not with any one broad sweep measure and anyone that knows squat about politics will echo this. Think, politicians love themselves more than God or Country ( Marines have it right, "for God, Country, and Corp" in that order). Applying basic self preservation rules, politicians do not have the guts to try a sweeping change. This is temporary!

I picked up 800 primers recently, my local cabelas has surplus 30.06 on the shelf, four different powders are on the shelf, and the had some .223 today (enough to meet demand up to noon).

The resalers are milking this. I am not refering to stores, I am talking about those who are becoming additional middlemen. If the shooters would all stop panicing for a couple weeks and leave the resalers with inventory, they will stop buying and shooters can have ammo. It's like tickets to your favorite team - if no one buys from the scampers, they would go away.

My guess is that it will start easing in about a month but probably take 6 mos to return to normal.

At this point the hoarders are near saturated. They've spent their money and their wives have seen the CC bills :)

There is some knock on effect. I'm not a panic hoarder but right now if I find .22lr at sane prices I will buy 4 bricks instead of two. But this too will subside.

Eventually the market will be glutted and most people will have enough ammo to last for some time and buying levels will dip to below normal.

Despite all the Black Helicopter/Tinfoil Hat conspiracy theories, this is a free market situation where false shortages with high prices are not sustainable in the long term. There are foreign ammo mfrs as well as domestic and if this goes on too long, some of them are going to give in to the temptation to make some money by increasing their capacity or perhaps by selling inventory to the US that would have gone to some other country. The hoarders themselves have been reselling their inventory at jacked up prices. All this limits the possible duration and severity of the shortage.

This has been something of a 'perfect storm' with Obama's reelection ( he got my vote ) followed shortly by the Newtown atrocity and these combined with ignorance, stupidity and rank cowardice.

What ticks me off most is that the gun community, having done this to themselves now wants to blame the gubmint for their problems.

That's my guess. But if I was smart, I would have seen this coming and stocked up on Small Pistol Primers before the election.

I reload and I do have some inventory but until things calm down, I am sticking to slow target shooting backed up by a lot of dry fire practice. None of that tactical - bang bang bang - stuff until I can buy primers again. As others suggested, this may be a good thing overall for my skills.

Edited by meshugunner

Just read at one of my suppliers that ammo prices are being raised by 17% due to demand and hording. ( sounds like companies are just saying if you wanna pay that much then we will sell it for that much.) Their is just a small loss in supply and a huge increase in horders trying to make a buck selling ammo for more than what they paid for it. I mean if you goto gunbroker ( cracksmoker) or any other auction or gun related site you will see PAGES AND PAGES of people selling 1,000 round box's of 223 55gr FMJ BT or just 223 in about any flavor you want. at $1 a round of course and primers at $60-120 per thousand, if you don't want to pay 3 times what they paid for it you end up waiting for things to settle like the rest of us..

I think now that the assault weapon ban has been killed you will see a slow ripple start coming back onto shelves when people buying and reselling can no longer make a fast resale and they and up sitting on it you will see prices come back to normal. hell i know a guy who " scored " a few thousand rounds for his 223. Funny thing is he doesn't own a gun.

For the most part most of the calibers we shoot

Today have been around for many years , there are dozens of old type powders (not old and deteriorated) that will still perform. I know I have my go to favorites. But I have been shooting competition for over 30 +

Years. Don't think that you can't win and have fun

Without the varget or other first choice propellants

And components you are use too. A little research

With some out dated load manuals. And you might get too shoot and have fun untill it turns around. Just a suggestion!

IN THE OKC AREA WE CAN GET SOME LOADED AMMO, 5.56,9MM,40 AND SOME RF. 1 BOX PER DAY PER CALIBER. ITS A GOOD THING, BECAUSE IF IT WAS`NT WE WOULD HAVE NOTHING

SAME WITH PRIMERS 500 A DAY, NO S R LEFT

I HAVE SEEN THE SAME BRANDS ON ARMSLIST FOR BIG MARK UP

I BET MOST PEOPLE BUYING DON`T EVEN SHOOT.

JUST GREEDY!!!

• 1 month later...

I read a gun industry report a few weeks ago where each major manufacturer gave their company status. Basically all ammo manufacturing is going to fill gov then LE orders with commercial a distant 3rd. There are no reloading components available as all primers are going toward manufacture of loaded ammo. The prediction was 6-9 months before the supply becomes anything like normal ... How true this actually is is anyone's guess.

Look on the bright side, Since you now have no excuse not to be able to dry fire 5 times a week for an hr you should have a sub one second draw and 1 sec reload by the time ammo becomes available ... :)

Ha! Thanks for reminding me. Gotta keep up my re-loading times :)

I've been doing just that-don't want to burn any live ammo without good reason. I took advantage of the "down time" and sent my CZ-75B off for some trigger work-it would just sit in the safe otherwise. Right now, I'm looking for primers and powder. I was able to get 2K bullets, but only have enough primers to load up about 800 rounds worth. I've also got 1K of loaded 9mm on order from Precision Delta, which should arrive at the end of the month. They were the only source who would even accept an order. I'll be tooling up to reload 9mm next.

I'm thinking at least 6 months before things get back to (semi) normal. As for me I don't think I'll ever buy less than 500 or 1000 of anything ever again.

Meanwhile, the tumbler is running out in the garage.....

..... As for me I don't think I'll ever buy less than 500 or 1000 of anything ever again.

I completely agree. My biggest problem in the future will be storage space...

On a slightly more positive note, last week at the Cabela's in Springfield, Oregon, I was able to buy some large pistol primers. I happened to be in the store just after they had unloaded the truck, and they had one case (5,000 primers) of about every size of primer. It didn't look like the sort of replenishment order that would have been placed by the store because it was just one case of everything, but at least CCI was shipping. Now, Cabela's is a big retailer and I'm sure they are near the front of the line due to contractual commitments from CCI, but still, good news.

I've also heard (hopeful) stories of no shortages in Idaho and Montana. I'll be going through both states later this month so I'm going to make it a point to stop and look for ammo and components a few times.

This panic has been more severe than most previous ones I remember because, I think, of the direct attempt to get rid of the AR-15. That alone has brought a lot of brand-new gun buyers (for ARs and basically anything that will go Bang) on to the scene, and they had zero ammo, so they are making the problem worse. The new people are also getting into reloading in a big way (or they are driving many of us who have never done it to reloading), causing backups at Dillon and presumably other reloading equipment makers.

Chris

Yes I have noticed. I also noticed the UN Conerence on the Small Arms Treaty is March 18 to the 28th .

tinfoil.jpg
That really is the problem in a nutshell. Blind panic started the shortage and gougers are haording/reselling to exploit the stupidity. The problem is that the media revives the panic constantly running stories on gun control, and some fools who don't understand basic government think the admin can sieze guns/ammo by issuing an executive order or signing a treaty. Until the panic stops, the hoarding/gouging will continue and shortages will be the normal mode. I think it will continue for at least a year, maybe more. Edited by bountyhunter

tinfoil.jpg
That really is the problem in a nutshell. Blind panic started the shortage and gougers are haording/reselling to exploit the stupidity. The problem is that the media revives the panic constantly running stories on gun control, and some fools who don't understand basic government think the admin can sieze guns/ammo by issuing an executive order or signing a treaty. Until the panic stops, the hoarding/gouging will continue and shortages will be the normal mode. I think it will continue for at least a year, maybe more.

If it runs a year or more, there will be scant few at matches...

I have been getting ammo when ever I need it from gunbot.net.

It is readily available if you watch it in the morning and late afternoon EST.

Example of what I have bought in the last few days- 9mm 115 Blazer, Remington, WWB, all for an average of 0.32 cents per round. Some good quality reman is going for about 28 cents for the same spec as above.

Patience and persistence will get you ammo and a reasonable price. I feel that later this year or early next year we will see it on the shelves like before but most likely at a slight premium over pre panic prices.

Reloading is definitely in my future, as soon as primers are readily available again.

I can tell you what the "shortage" has done to me...My son and I are getting into reloading! Our first purchase is a Lee key drive 1 oz slug mold.Why slugs have cost 3,4,5 or even more times than field loads finally made me do it..No,I take that back.It was begging Wallmart for a few boxes.

Getting better everyday, but still a LONG way to go!

More available all the time (same with components). Some of the folks the just had to buy up everything they could ge their hands on during the worst of the media hype are now trying to get rid of the ammo on-line. It will be fine if we can all take a breath and wait a bit.

• 2 weeks later...