Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRP trigger

WidowsSon683

Just finished installing the drop in PRP trigger kit. All I can say is awesome! I didn't want an ultra light pull, and even as such, it took a few mags to get comfortable, but I love it!

B

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished installing the drop in PRP trigger kit. All I can say is awesome! I didn't want an ultra light pull, and even as such, it took a few mags to get comfortable, but I love it!

B

Going to order Thursday and install next week. How close do you live to Northern KY just in case I run into problems?? LOL

B

Going to order Thursday and install next week. How close do you live to Northern KY just in case I run into problems?? LOL

Western KY, sorry! Just watch the video on YouTube. I do recommend getting the punch set, it's something you will use again and again. I didn't have any problem with the install, but pay particular attention to the takedown lever position as you reassemble on the video.

B

Almost finished with the trigger job. Just ran out of time tonight. Still need to remove more material from the over travel stop. Can't get it to dry fire with putting pressure on top of the slide. The grip safety feels a little (catchy) for lack of a better term should I remove a little more from the sear to get it to move freely?

Finally had time to finish the trigger all is well just needed a little more off of the sear and a lot more off the over travel stop. Love the trigger. Night and day difference than the stock. Can't wait to get to the range.

Edited by swedge58

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread, but I recently ordered the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger kit from Powder River Precision. A couple of my friends that shoot USPSA with me have had trigger work done by Rich at Canyon Creek on their XDm's, and the work he did was amazing! Since I won't be using my XDm9 5.25 in competition, I just decided to buy and install the PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit and just do it myself as I like to tinker and have projects to work on at night once the kids are in bed.

This was the first time I've worked on an XDm trigger. I got all my tools, the xdm, and sat down in front of the computer to watch the video on how to install. It's definitely a trial and error session if you are doing it for the first time. I had to take the sear out and the trigger off and file a little bit off about 5 different times. You need to remove a little bit of material, then put it all together to see how it works. You don't want to take too much material off or you're screwed. So, with some time and patience, I got the trigger and sear filed to perfection. But, it's not a difficult process at all. It just takes some time and patience.

And what a difference it makes! I knew it would be better than the original stock trigger, but I had no idea how much better the trigger would be. I've got the trigger at just around 3.5# but more importantly the reset of the trigger was reduced significantly. The improvement of the trigger reset is remarkable.

To say I'm pleased with the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger kit is an understatement.

If I had sent the gun to Canyon Creek, Springer Precision, or PRP and they did the work themselves, sure, the trigger would be a little better than what I accomplished on my own with the kit. They are the best in the biz. But dang, what a huge improvement over the stock trigger.

Don't worry about reviving the thread! It's one I've been watching. I ended up pulling the trigger (hey-oh) on the PRP Ultimate Match Trigger, and it should be here this week. I have a XDM40 5.25, and use it in Limited. I know I can't quite touch the S_I triggers, but I can hopefully come close!

Just curious because I can't find it (haven't looked that hard, though): what is the stock trigger pull #? I know it's more than just the weight (reset, etc.), but I'm curious.

So I don't want to hijack a thread, but since its an old one newly revived, I'll give it a shot.

I installed my PRP Ultimate Match kit on my XDM40 5.25, and several times in about 200 rounds my slide would "lock" closed (typically only when unloading and "showing clear"). I had to grip the slide and hit the grip forward to eject the round and rack the slide.

Any ideas on what's happening? I tore it down to check I had done everything correctly, and I could find one "issue". Occasionally, the sear and drop safety lever (ninja star) would rotate together (read: very occasionally, the sear didn't rotate freely).

Could that be it?

Edit: FYi I'm positive it wasn't my ammo, and this has never happened before.

Edited by JasonandMichelle

So I don't want to hijack a thread, but since its an old one newly revived, I'll give it a shot.

I installed my PRP Ultimate Match kit on my XDM40 5.25, and several times in about 200 rounds my slide would "lock" closed (typically only when unloading and "showing clear"). I had to grip the slide and hit the grip forward to eject the round and rack the slide.

Any ideas on what's happening? I tore it down to check I had done everything correctly, and I could find one "issue". Occasionally, the sear and drop safety lever (ninja star) would rotate together (read: very occasionally, the sear didn't rotate freely).

Could that be it?

I would bet that it's the overall length of your bullet. I had the same problem with MG HP's. For the MG FMJ's I have an overall length of 1.15, for the HP's I can't go over 1.12 or they get stuck just like the problem you're having. Try seating the bullet in a little deeper and see if that's the problem. I always try the simplest thing first and it usually fixes the problem.

Could that be it?

I would bet that it's the overall length of your bullet. I had the same problem with MG HP's. For the MG FMJ's I have an overall length of 1.15, for the HP's I can't go over 1.12 or they get stuck just like the problem you're having. Try seating the bullet in a little deeper and see if that's the problem. I always try the simplest thing first and it usually fixes the problem.

Same problem, same solution. Bullets too long.

Could that be it?

Hmmm...I ran about 450 rounds through the gun before I changed the trigger with no issues at all. Within 50 rounds after the trigger it happened 3 times? In my mind it isn't the bullet, but I've been wrong before.

As an update, I did take the sear out, filed off a bit more and it doesn't stick with the drop safety lever anymore...

Edit: For info: I'm running S&S Casting 180gr. Flat Points at 1.130".

Edit 2: Spoke with Daniel at Powder River. He broke it down for me, and exactly why Bob and RescueYou are right. I'm going to shorten them down and see if I have the same issues. RY, you're right. It's probably the simplest. I'll throw in at 1.120 and see what happens.

Edited by JasonandMichelle

• 2 weeks later...

Got the prp ultimate match installed in the 5.25 last night.WOW! waaaay better.i loved the gun from the day i got it but hated the trigger,im a precision rifle guy so im a lil spoiled on triggers. Took her out this afternoon and ran 50 rds,it was great.

Just pulled video up on my phone,paused and fit/install that section. And on to the next section pause/install.

The only part i got tripped up on was when i was pulling the block out above trigger, the slide stop spring popped out as the unit was coming out so i didnt really get to see what was where. Took me a min or two to figure how it went back together.when he does the video it doesnt really show that part real clear.all in all ,i think he did an excellent job with the vid if thats the only iffy part. Like most things mechanical,its real simple when broken down.

It was also good to familiarise myself with the internals of the gun.

I highly recommend this kit for any xd/xdm owner who wants more of a match feel trigger .

Now on to dryfire!!

Now ,i got some major dryfirein to do.

If you're going to do lots of dry firing I suggest you replace or get an extra striker retaining pin from PRP as well.

Note: Not sure why people are freezing to test the over travel stop? Camping in the arctic soon? LoL!

If you're going to do lots of dry firing I suggest you replace or get an extra striker retaining pin from PRP as well.

Note: Not sure why people are freezing to test the over travel stop? Camping in the arctic soon? LoL!

Arctic! Hardly. But I want my pistol to function in any temperature extreme I may encounter. Shot many matches in cold weather that the freezer test replicates. If you don't care about that, so be it. There are many that do shoot when it's cold that will benefit from knowing if they don't test it, it probably won't go bang in the cold.

PistolGear sells a coiled striker retainer pin... very sturdy.

And if any one cares my PRP Drop-In trigger is at 3.5lbs

• 1 month later...

Had PRP put an ultimate match trigger in my 5.25, absolutely loved it but after 300 rounds or so it started not resetting. Talked to Daniel and they had me send it in on their dime ( overnight fedex ) they said it had a burr on the trigger bar, they fixed it up, got it back in 2 days, no charge and it works awesome! Had him set it at about 2.5# and I love it. Then I bought another 5.25 that already had a RRA trigger kit in it and while it is 100 times better than the stock trigger, it is not as nice as the PRP ultimate match trigger.

• 4 weeks later...