Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRP trigger

WidowsSon683

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How cold was is?

I had my PRP Extreme over travel adjusted just right, per video, and for about 1K it ran great. But one COLD day, 16 F, it wouldn't release the striker at times. After I filed a little more off the over travel pad all is good again.:) I'm glad I wasn't shooting a match when I ran into this little glitch.

Forget the cold, that is hogwash, press the slide down and pull the trigger, once you have the over travel stop filed/sanded down to where the trigger will break the shot with the slide pressed down, give it 2 or 3 more good swipes and you will remove enough material to counter any warping effects of cold on polymer that will cause striction and binding. You won't be able to notice the travel difference on the trigger pull.

if you have 4000 rounds through it the PRP internals have settled in nicely... If you by another trigger with the overstop piece and recut it to fit, you will be surprised how much less overtravel etc. you can achieve... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Forget the cold, that is hogwash, press the slide down and pull the trigger, once you have the over travel stop filed/sanded down to where the trigger will break the shot with the slide pressed down, give it 2 or 3 more good swipes and you will remove enough material to counter any warping effects of cold on polymer that will cause striction and binding. You won't be able to notice the travel difference on the trigger pull.

I beg to differ. For those of Y'all south of the Mason Dixon line it may not be a big issue. BUT, when you live in a place where it gets REALLY cold, ya better do the freezer test! Ask me how I know. FWIW, last Sunday's USPSA match started at +12F.I can just about guarrantee that a non freezer tested PRP trigger would not go bang. EXCEPT for the "drop in" maybe. Wife's drop-in has tested at -3F with no mods.

JD

Me == noob, but for what it's worth, I installed the PRP drop-in on my 5.25 9mm in about 45 min. Most of that time was spent going back and forth on the video online to make sure I was doing the right thing. Pretty easy.

First trip to the range and my shooting took a huge leap in improvement. Amazing difference. With the stock trigger, I liked the gun okay, but liked my Sig 226 with the SRT much better. Now, I can tear holes with the XDM and don't really care to shoot the Sig anymore.

But even with the improvements, I was wishing the trigger to be a little more crisp, so I ordered the PRP replacement sear for the XDM. Had to do a tiny little bit of stone work to fit it, but wow! As a finishing touch, mounted an RMR on the XDM and man, this thing is scary accurate and a joy to shoot.

Me == noob, but for what it's worth, I installed the PRP drop-in on my 5.25 9mm in about 45 min. Most of that time was spent going back and forth on the video online to make sure I was doing the right thing. Pretty easy.

First trip to the range and my shooting took a huge leap in improvement. Amazing difference. With the stock trigger, I liked the gun okay, but liked my Sig 226 with the SRT much better. Now, I can tear holes with the XDM and don't really care to shoot the Sig anymore.

But even with the improvements, I was wishing the trigger to be a little more crisp, so I ordered the PRP replacement sear for the XDM. Had to do a tiny little bit of stone work to fit it, but wow! As a finishing touch, mounted an RMR on the XDM and man, this thing is scary accurate and a joy to shoot.

So....that's interesting. I also would much rather shoot my PRP equiped 5.25 9mm vs. the wife's 226 with the SRT. D/A S/A not withstanding. (she also has a 5.25 PR equipped and shoots it better than her 226, but she's afflicted with "Signess" Having said all that, for EDC we have Sig P-250 sc's. ((they always go bang) even below zero))

So you think the $$ for the PRP sear is worth it? Tell us more please.

JD

• 3 weeks later...

@JD - Worth every penny, IMO. I have now installed my second PRP trigger - the Ultimate Match - in my new .45 XD (4" with the dual-spring buffer). This gun is so much fun to shoot now, I'm just blown away.

No flies on Sig, top rate, but I can purchase an XDm, PRP kit and accessories, and so on. I now understand internals of the XD/XDm pistols reasonably well for a newcomer. I love the simplicity of their design. I have a .45 acp XDM 5.25 on order and already have a PRP kit waiting for it. So, I think from now on, whenever I purchase another XD/XDm, I'll be factoring in a PRP kit, stainless ejector, replacement striker pins, etc.

I've been shooting for around 9 months now and have quickly realized the significance of trigger control. I would estimate that these triggers have reduced the spread of my groups by 2/3. That alone makes them worth the bucks for me.

I just installed the extreme kit. The travel is net to nothing.

I do have a question. I left with an extra spring. I believe it's a sear spring. From the photo, I installed the top right spring and have the one next to it left over.

Did I install the lightest spring?

DSC_0083.jpg

Also, I went with the pre fit trigger and there seems to be a slight delay when pulling the trigger and it actually firing. I can rack the slide and pull the trigger all the back slowly and nothing happens. Once the stop on trigger hits the frame, if I pull a little more it will fire.

Any ideas what this means? What to do? I may strip it down and install it again and see what happens.

You did install the lighter spring. The factory setup actually has 2 springs inside each other, so that spring is significantly lighter... Makes the pull awesome tho!

As for your other question let me get home to a computer and I'll show you what I did to fix the issue you are having

Edited by Vanniek71

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...