Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slippery Hands!

gdkodiak

You all have thought you have seen some stupid questions before, but I am about to raise the bar.

I assume that many other people experience this too. The skin of hands is quite slick - not from perspiration, but simply just dry and slick.

All things aside and considering old injuries, my grip strength is more than adequate.

To improve my grip I spit on my hands and rub them together to give them a "tacky" feel. When played football in the late 1960s, we used a spray to make our hands sticky and hence improve our ability to hold on to the football. It was sticky and was hard to remove.

Spitting on my hands isn't the most hygenic approach and I would like to find a favorable alternative.

Does anyone know of a product that people use to improve the tackiness of their hands that isn't going to feel like you have dipped your hands in glue?

I warned you this question was going to sound stupid!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a powder I use, can't remember the name of it but bought from a shop in town that specializes in bullseye and precision rifle stuff. Put a little on your hands, transfers to the gun and creates a relatively tacky surface but is not like pine tar or stickum.

Plain old skateboard grip tape on the grip contact points works well as well

In the past I've used anything from anti-monkey butt powder to baby powder to pro grip. I tried skate tape on my grip, and it never really stuck that well.

Now I use athletic tape wrapped around my grip, if it's really warm out I still carry the anti-monkey butt powder in my range bag.

Hmmm, remind me never to borrow your gun at a match... :P

Seriously, I use progrip in the summer. I also use a little skateboard tape since my grip is checkered. I tried using a glove but I could never find a pair that fit well. I think a glove like "Evil Roy" uses would be better for a few reasons, especially when it's cold.

You might try a rosin bag like baseball players use too.

I have totally heard of others trying that too!!! :) Another great idea!

I have the exact opposite problem. My hands stick to my gun. It makes it hard to get my hand off the grip for mag changes! :) Handwarmers make it worse!

Edited by monicataliani

I use tennis racket wrap( feels like the newer tacky golf grips) naturally tacky, easy to apply and change every so often. Academy sports sells the Prince brand for about 3 bucks for 3 rolls. I find it much better than skate board tape.

You might try a rosin bag like baseball players use too.

I have totally heard of others trying that too!!! :) Another great idea!

I have the exact opposite problem. My hands stick to my gun. It makes it hard to get my hand off the grip for mag changes! :) Handwarmers make it worse!

I too have sticky fingers. I take the checkering off of my pistols. I have a G17 RTF2 that I actually like. Others that have purchased pistols from me have commented on the smooth grips. Smooth wood without any checkering.

I use powdered weight lifter chalk that you can buy at any "Big-X" sporting good store. Besides the base chalk, it has aluminum chlorihydrate (sp?), an antiperspirent (sp? again). It's cheap and a containor will last years. It won't gum up checkering like some of the tacky stuff does.

A lot of guys use that new Pro Grip stuff and seem to like it. I still use Rosen (dried tree sap) that I get from the tack store. You know, rodeo guys use it for hangin' on to ropes. It works well and lasts a whole match once rubbed in.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a HUGE advocate for Pro Grip. I still think it is a great product. However, I started going to a new gym last summer, and start using this http://www.primochalk.com/

It looks like normal weight lifters chalk, but it has some other components in it that give a slight tacky feel to it.

It may look expensive, but I bought the 4pk last July, and based on how much I've used so far, I don't anticipate having to purchase any this year. I was definitely spending more on ProGrip.

Found this on vacation in Colorado a few years ago, best thing I've tried, like it better than Pro Grip and Prince Grip:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000212TGA

Keep them in ziplock freezer bags, one stays in the range bag and one stays at home. After a while you get a knack for using just enough so that your hands lock together. You just squeeze on it and boom - dry hands.

Edited by eric nielsen

I noticed that Dawson sells grip tape cut out to fit grips for various guns. Has anyone found sources for the material and cut it themselves?

I bought some grip tape from amazon, it was a sheet made for a skateboard. I think it was around $8 and had enough to do multiple guns. You could probably get it locally if you had a skate shop near you as well.