Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slippery Hands!

gdkodiak

I tried skate tape on my grip, and it never really stuck that well.

I bought some grip tape from amazon, it was a sheet made for a skateboard. I think it was around $8 and had enough to do multiple guns. You could probably get it locally if you had a skate shop near you as well.

I love this on a gun. I use skateboard tape. The trick to getting it to stick is make sure your grip is clean and using heat. I heated mine with a hair dryer then put it on, held it firmly, then blasted it with heat again and pressed extra hard around the edges and corners. It stayed on my gun through extensive dry fire and many matches (for over 6 months.) Then I switched guns. It is still on there. It never started to come off and the corners never peeled up.

Edited by monicataliani

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too have sticky fingers. I take the checkering off of my pistols. I have a G17 RTF2 that I actually like. Others that have purchased pistols from me have commented on the smooth grips. Smooth wood without any checkering.

I had always wondered if I was alone!!! I have only really experienced this with my open gun. When I shot production I didn't notice it as much.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess I'm pretty lucky in that wearing wristbands seems to solve most of my wet hand problems in the summer months. I've seen guys using Progrip, but I didn't realize there were so many other options.

I also switched from factory plastic to Hogue G-10 Piranha grips on my X5, although I realize that's not an option for every gun. I have wondered whether I should have gone with their Chain Link pattern, though. It seems more aggressive.

I just use super aggressive grips, the sharpness of them doesn't bug my hands (which is weird, since I work on a computer and my hands lack callouses). I don't like the feel of skateboard tape either.

for grip tape, if you have a local skate shop just go and ask for cast offs/ends of the roll. they cant use the end of the roll because it has too much bend, they always give it to me for free.

you can use hand sanitiser instead of spitting on your hands. that stuff is basically alcohol and will leave your hands dry. won't leave crap on your gun either.

otherwise there's:

pro grip https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=PGE&n=Pistol-Pro-Grip-Enhancer-Lotion

fast grip https://www.doubletapsports.com/fast-grip-by-eric-grauffel

liquid grip https://liquidgrip.com/

I see all 3 brands used here. Some use chalk too or rosin.

for skate tape I'd highly recommend using the 3M brand safety walk tape. it has a much better adhesive on it than any skate tape I tried. I used to use heat too when sticking down my skate tape but if when cleaning the gun some brake cleaner got near it, or if I shot on a really hot day it would come loose. the 3M stuff is many times stronger. also the cheaper skate tape lets loose bits of grit for a while. the 3m stuff doesn't even when new. I didn't like getting bits of grit everywhere.

If you are desperate for some traction and at the range without your progrip (or spit?!) grab some grass, any old grass or weed will do, and rub it hard between your hands. It'll give you a really nice bit of traction. Also good if you've just applied sunscreen and have nothing to wipe your hands with!

Most of the grip lotions are a gel alcohol with silica. I noticed one in a Golf store that had an anti-perspirant (Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate) along with the alcohol and the silica. I bought a some of the same ingredient solid anti-perspirtant at CVS. You apply it the night before, wash your hands in the morning, and don't rub your eyes with your fingers. I put a wash rag wet with alcohol in a plastic bag to wipe off my hands between stages. When I use chalk or one of the silica lotions I try not to get any in between my fingers.

Rosin bag works pretty well in all but the hottest days. What works best for me is this stuff: http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/mob-coarse-grit-black-11-inch-width-griptape

It is very coarse and extrememly grippy. Sticks very well if the grip frame is degreased when you apply it, then if you run a bead of super glue gell around the underside of the edges and press it down, it won't come off untill you take it off. Acetone dizzolves the glue for removal.

Is wrapping your grip with tennis racket tape Production legal?

Yes, as long as you follow the guidelines in App E4:

Checkering, stippling, and/or tape may only be applied to the areas illustrated by the dashed line boundaries which include the frontstrap and backstrap. Grip Tape cannot be applied to any part of the slide, trigger, trigger guard, or any lever or button. Grip Tape or Grip Sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

You cannot build it up to change the original grip profile, though (e.g., creating a palm swell).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, My name is David Clark. I have been away from the sport since 1999, and have recently started playing around again. I make the Pro Grip and Mag Slick Products. Pro Grip is not a Chalk based product. It is mainly a Silica based product. I started making it in 1995 after struggling with my grip, and trying to import a product that I received in a Shooters packet at the 93 or 94 Nationals. It was discovered it could no longer come in to the country because it contained ingredients that were considered unsafe. Pro Grip bonds to the natural oils in your skin, That being said controlling your application amount determines how much left over product can come off on your equipment. I am glad to see people still use it despite my poor marketing skills! I shot my first Nationals in 87 when Brian and Rob's uniform was a Blue Dillon Shirt, Levis, and a Wilson Hat. The information came a lot slower back then it was either from watching top shooters or seeing things in the vendor tents. The amount of information on this Forum is unreal! Happy New Year to all, David

• 2 weeks later...

3m Tread Tape aka Safety Tape. It comes in rolls and you can use scissors to make it fit your use. I like to put strips on my grips, as much as allowed by the rule book.

This is much, much more aggressive that skateboard tape or other products designed for pistol use.

When it loses grip, I just replace it.

I don't personally care for the gels and stuff, and grip tape always comes loose on me, doesn't matter how much prep I do to the surface, etc (something w/ the way I slide my WH onto the gun when I grip it, I think).

In some cases, like on my 2011, stippling has been enough. On the glock I've stuggled... something w/ the shape/size of the gun even stippling wasn't enough.

back when I shot beretta, I LOVED my Burner grips, so I decided to duplicate that on my glock.... some epoxy and blasting media or sand and now my grip is rock solid on the gun and it'll take a lot to make it come off.....

post-6093-0-90187700-1421163497_thumb.jp

-rvb

Edited by rvb

If you have trouble with your skateboard tape sticking brush a light coat of contact cement only on the grip not the tape itself. let it cure until almost dry, the same way you would normally use contact cement, then apply the grip tape. You will not believe it. a friend showed me the trick when using Velcro. Get near the edges any extra cleans off easily.

I bought skateboard tape. It was .99 cents for a 12x12 square which I got 3 grips out of for Glocks. After I squeezed it on with my hand I took a hair dryer to it and pressed it on tighter. It has been two years and still looks amazing but more importantly is still super grippy.

If you have trouble with your skateboard tape sticking brush a light coat of contact cement only on the grip not the tape itself. let it cure until almost dry, the same way you would normally use contact cement, then apply the grip tape...Get near the edges any extra cleans off easily...

Can you get the grip tape off the gun afterwards (I change mine out occasionally)?

For good grip tape adhesion, heating helps. so does wrapping the grip after the application with two or three feet of 1/8 inch elastic cord, the kind used in bungee cords, and available in most hardware stores.

I use a combo: grip tape on the gun, so my strong hand doesn't slip, and ProGrip on the back of my SH and the palm/fingers of the WH, so the WH doesn't slip on the SH.

You can get the tape back off it will keep the edges from lifting. You can rub hard on the remaining adhesive and it will come off, or use mineral spirits, or adhesive remover. I buy the Weldwood contact cement in the brown bottle with the brush in the cap. My buddy showed me the trick, he used it building auto show displays when it would be a disaster for Velcro to fail.

I found my answer: iTAC2 Pole Dancers Grip Extra Strength

It works like a charm, leaves no residue on the firearm and wears off naturally without the need to wash my hands. Great product.

Edited by gdkodiak