Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Maintenence

okorpheus

It's been about a year since I started shooting IDPA and USPSA with my M&P. I try to clean it every couple of matches. Is there any other kind of preventative maintenance I should be considering or checking. Any of the springs? Disassembly and cleaning beyond removing slide, guide rod, and barrel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

youre supposed to clean these things? ha thats what i've been doing wrong! I normally clean it about every few thousand rounds. I clean the barrel, slide, get all the fouling in the reciever, clean the striker tunnel and throw some slide glide on it. Its never given me any problems. Also make sure you clean the mags after shooting in the rain to get all the mud out of them. I have 15000 rounds on my springs and its still running strong, but I hear you are supposed to change them every 10000.

youre supposed to clean these things? ha thats what i've been doing wrong! I normally clean it about every few thousand rounds. I clean the barrel, slide, get all the fouling in the reciever, clean the striker tunnel and throw some slide glide on it. Its never given me any problems. Also make sure you clean the mags after shooting in the rain to get all the mud out of them. I have 15000 rounds on my springs and its still running strong, but I hear you are supposed to change them every 10000.

+2, I just shoot it.

And I've never taken out the extractor on any of my M&P's. I've bought the Apek extractor and the correct punch to service it but I've never had a problem, yet.

Edited by LikesToShoot

I bought one of the heated Harbor freight Ultrasonic cleaners for about 70.00. Every couple thousand rounds I wipe off the big gunk, toss it in and let it go for about 10 minutes. Rinse it well, check the striker channel, check the extractor, dry it off, lube it with slide glide, and put it back together. About every 10k rounds I strip it down and go through it but other than that... I just shoot it... :-)

Much easier than scrubbing and less smell than using solvent to do the same thing. Solvent has it's place but one thing my Dad and my Grandfather *drilled* into me as a kid was "work SMARTER and *not* harder!"

Seriously, that ultrasonic cleaner has to have been one of the best SMART investments I have made in a long, long, time.

Edited by Classic_jon

+1

Once in a while I take out the extractor to give it and the grove it sits in, a good cleaning.

I have found that the extractor is the best place for gunk to build up and start causing problems. Seems worse on an M&P than other guns but that could just be me.

I bought one of the heated Harbor freight Ultrasonic cleaners for about 70.00. Every couple thousand rounds I wipe off the big gunk, toss it in and let it go for about 10 minutes. Rinse it well, check the striker channel, check the extractor, dry it off, lube it with slide glide, and put it back together. About every 10k rounds I strip it down and go through it but other than that... I just shoot it... :-)

Much easier than scrubbing and less smell than using solvent to do the same thing. Solvent has it's place but one thing my Dad and my Grandfather *drilled* into me as a kid was "work SMARTER and *not* harder!"

Seriously, that ultrasonic cleaner has to have been one of the best SMART investments I have made in a long, long, time.

What type of solvent/fluid do you run in your cleaner.

Water with a bit of the ultrasonic "soap" that harbor Freight sells. I don't use much in it at all. Just enough to break up the gunk and I let the ultrasonics do the rest. I have had the little bottle of it for over a year now and it is still probably about 80 to 90% full.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-oz-ultrasonic-cleaning-powder-91593.html

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Water with a bit of the ultrasonic "soap" that harbor Freight sells. I don't use much in it at all. Just enough to break up the gunk and I let the ultrasonics do the rest. I have had the little bottle of it for over a year now and it is still probably about 80 to 90% full.

http://www.harborfre...wder-91593.html

and

http://www.harborfre...aner-95563.html

How much dissasembly do you do before putting parts in the Ultrasonic cleaner?

Eric

In addition to what other guys have said, consider replacing the recoil spring every season or two (depending how much you shoot). Its not a reliability thing, its a wear and tear thing. Once your recoil springs on any semi auto get out of spec, the frame will start to taking more shock than it was designed too....which isn't a problem until your pin holes get out of round (and your pins fall out) or your frame cracks. Recoil springs are super cheap insurance....since you asked.

Most of the time I just field strip it, toss the slide in, then the grip, then the spring and barrel.

and

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldnt that lead to problems with rust? How do you dry off and protect the small parts in the frame and slide from rust??

Eric

Most of the time I just field strip it, toss the slide in, then the grip, then the spring and barrel.

and

Eric

youre supposed to clean these things?

I've never taken out the extractor on any of my M&P's. I've bought the Apek extractor and the correct punch to service it but I've never had a problem, yet.

You will. I ran my BHP for 6,000 rounds without a hitch, and then no extraction - happens eventually.

You have to clean the extractor channel. :cheers:

• 2 years later...

I am tempted to put a field stripped MP9 Pro into sonic cleaner with the Lyman sonic cleaner solution.

Does anyone know if the fiber optic would be affected?

What about the grip tape (I use Talon), will they fall off after being submerged in water for 20 min?

Water with some relatively gentle detergent should be fine for the fiber, but they are susceptible(sp?) to solvents.

Not sure ab the grip tape holding up. Maybe stand it in the cleaner upside down so as to leave most of the grip out of the solution...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you clean a field stripped gun in the ultrasonic try compressed air to quickly remove the water/ detergent from the nooks and crannies (if you are worried). If you do not have a compressor a can of the compressed air used to clean computers works also

• 3 weeks later...

I use the same Harbor Freight tank and it works very well. I use Mpro7 cleaner mixed 9 to 1 per their website and it works great and is non-toxic with no fumes. I rinse the parts with plastic-safe gun scrubber/brake cleaner and blow dry with canned air or compressor. If the gun is really messy I'll do some hand scrubbing with the Mpro7 prior to the first run in the tank. After the compressed air stage I lube carefully per manufacturers instructions plus rubbing some oil into the finish of the slide, wiping off the excess. The gun scrubber will strip any remnant of oil from the finish. I also use the Mpro7 oil BTW.

• 4 weeks later...