Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Wow if this was around 2 years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have gone for it.

http://www.tormach.com/product-pcnc-440.html

I'm just thankful it's not a size between the 750 and 1100... I may have been a bit sick if it was!

LMAO, I got a little sick, It's just pricey enough and I had enough fun building mine, but dude that's a nice package. Fit in anybodies garage, pathpilot is looking awesome. Wow what a cool package. Ready to go!

How's your's doing?????

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made it through page 38, there is a ton of awesome information in this thread. I would love to get started in this hobby but dang I am going to have to drop two or three to afford it haha. Well it is time to start saving as I know i will want to go CNC instead of manual.

Wow if this was around 2 years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have gone for it.

http://www.tormach.com/product-pcnc-440.html

I'm just thankful it's not a size between the 750 and 1100... I may have been a bit sick if it was!

LMAO, I got a little sick, It's just pricey enough and I had enough fun building mine, but dude that's a nice package. Fit in anybodies garage, pathpilot is looking awesome. Wow what a cool package. Ready to go!

How's your's doing?????

Still getting everything set up. Got a new set of doors I hope to hang this weekend. I have to install a new power box for the shop only. It's going to be a while b4 I can get started sadly. I really hope to be done w construction end of next week then get the mill running.

The 440 is really nice, for a good price too. However, the small travels are pretty limiting. Real estate on a machine tool is a valuable asset. I would get pretty frustrated trying to use that work envelope. If you don't like it or outgrow it, it's expensive to upgrade to a bigger size. First you have to sell yours at a loss, then buy a new one full price. You are far ahead to get the bigger one to begin with. The 1100 is small, but gives you tons more freedom of movement than the 440. The 440 has it's place, as some will never be able to get anything else. Even if it's a stretch at first, I would get the biggest size possible. You guys that already got a bigger size are far better off.

Edited by Toolguy

Well this isn't a cnc mill but this is the fix to small door issue. As well as fixing the chainsaw opening I had to make as an emergency. Found the doors 2nd hand. Paid 100$ for the set with locks. Home depo wanted 500$ and 8 to 10 weeks to get there. 7740f037335739e8ae8de31cc1be0eb8.jpg

Now I can easily accept pallets if needed. This was my weekend.

This is my comp blank design. It's for a commander 9mm trubor blank. What do you think? I have this one and a simular one that has the 4 holes at a 90* so they look like a V ports but are not. The holes in the one pictured are at 105*.

050cb5866ee9aa23315d233c8411efcf.jpg

82ef0e4f3742443b6a7f9306dcbb5151.jpg

21db5516f8351bb6db8c63302e3583f8.jpg

c7a914a2b9fcca830a335e3c49ae7f9c.jpg

Well limcat puts out some flat shooting guns! I'm not a huge 9 major fan but I got these barrels for a good price. I figure a T1 style comp with a V4 port could work well. If I bore it to 9x23 win I'll just make traditional comp and do porting in the barrl. I have 2. If this one works great I will build a dedicated gun for it. If not I have a 2nd barrel to try or I can go back and mill out the holes to ports.

No I didnt. My plan was to set up, cut them 1st. Angle at 105 and mill straight down. I will go off the design from reference. Then mark where I need the holes. Clamp and secure then mill to depth and size. After that finish the milling on the remaining poets. That way I have meat to clamp on and not let it move.

The other idea is "cheater" ports. 4 ports but not in a V . They will look like it but enter the bore at a 90 one on each side. I have them placed where it will enter the bore at about the 10 and 2 o clock position.

Thank you. I like F360. It's the only program I've used but I've gotten good results ( in design )

I like it to have a 3D design to look at. I drew up some slide cuts too. I like it. I don't know if I'm doing it the "right" way as far as technical design goes but it gets the models I want made, made up.

For comp set up I just do a 2 point rectangle the lenth and width I want then pull it to height. Modify- filet the edges not facing the barrel at 2.5mm then do a center plane on all 4 sides. Add a .355 bore and that's it. I have a blank to play with. I can go from a sketch on my phones note pad to a 3D in less then 30 min If it's not too complex.

been gone for a while because of a crazy shooting season but I'm back! I just grabbed the material to make 2.0 of my replacement hanger for the shitty DOH hanger that lets you keep using the kydex which is the best part of that setup as well as tore apart my match spartan to make it a little prettier, not sure what I'm doing on the top but adding two more front serrations for sure.

I've always dreamed on having my own CNC in my garage!

I am very excited. I will say I feel as if I bit off more then I was planning on at 1st. I had to install bigger doors, I am going to look at an 8 ton engine hoist soon to put the mill on top of the stand, and I'm having to wire in a sub panel to be able to meet the power required for the mill as well as the compressor and the lights and the oil sump. I'm thrilled to have it! Just things I didn't think of before hand I guess. 1st time mistake. O well.

I wanted to ask. Has anyone here used 3d printing for prototypes? I would think for 10 shot comp testing this would be great! Or to show Ppl with a actual model of a slide/cuts you want to do. For a fraction of the cost of a slide you could have 10 slides all cut to whatever you could want to show off. Plus saving wear and tear on tools. Idk. Even basepad prototypes and grips?