Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Thank you. I got a laptop and fusion 360 as recommended. I have learned soooo much. Every time I sit down on the computer it becomes more and more natural for me. I am really looking forward to this.

Thank you for the wood idea! I was thinking about what to use cheap for practice

:cheers: you're gonna have so much fun :D

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So down the line I plan on building a 2011 or 2 for my shooting buddys. I know I will need an ffl to do so. How big of a P.I.T.A is that? If I'm not mistaken I need a class 01 ffl for gunsmithing. Any suggestions or anything? Good lawyer in fl?

That's sad. I wasn't expecting full set up or anything like that, but I planned on opening the boxes and inspecting everything. He didn't even hang up the phone. O well. It's here! Now if I can find the testicle I dropped getting everything inside I'll be all set. :goof:

I looked at one lol $22k shew!!!!!!

To be honest, you can get an old used haas vf2 or vf3 for 12k, or an old okuma mx-45 for 15k which are not home owner type machines. You can probably even find one with a 4th axis on it

The thing that turns me off when I look at old (or even new) industrial machines are the connectivity and technology limitations. Some are just because they are old and some are intentional handicaps so that they can sell high priced options... A home machine running Mach3 or LinuxCNC in some ways is light years ahead of a used industrial machine. The industrial iron with a hobbyist controller would probably be the best of both worlds and could probably be done but would be expensive and would probably compromise the actual chip making capabilities of the industrial machine just to gain a little convenience.

Well what your describing is a DnC feed , also known as a drip feed. So you use an outside computer to feed the crappy old cnc a few a lines of code at a time. It takes a parrellel port to do this its a rs-232 connection, this comes with most of these machines as part of the control. You can even remote start and stop the machine.

The hobby size machines are popular because most people don't have the space or electrical service required for an industrial machine. Also, most of the industrial machines i've seen on eBay in the 10 to 12 thousand range look very old and very used up. I have seen some nicer ones in the 25 - 30k range.

Well I didn't pay that exactly. I opted out of the auto tool changer. That was a 4k upgrade. The wife is NOT happy... I had to take a chain saw to the house to get the thing in the door. So now I have to find a hydraulic engine hoist for rent or rig up a pulley system from the trusses. Either way I need to get double doors for the "shop" entrance now.

The hobby size machines are popular because most people don't have the space or electrical service required for an industrial machine. Also, most of the industrial machines i've seen on eBay in the 10 to 12 thousand range look very old and very used up. I have seen some nicer ones in the 25 - 30k range.

Yaya a 12k machine will be really rough looking for sure. However they are also a hole lot more stout of a machine for that money. I gues I was just trying to provide another perspective in the money range that was discussed.

Your correct the size is the real problem with a commercial machine.

How fast of feed and rapid are the little machines capable of? The ones I'm talking can do around 400 inches a minet of table travel.

THe hobby ones I know of can do 200 - 400 IPM rapids. The newer industrial ones can do 1000 - 1200 IPM rapids. That's not much of an issue in my mind. My industrial ones from 2001 do 200 IPM rapid and I don't feel too hindered. I'm not trying to run production, as most home shop guys will not be either. The lightning fast travels and tool changes are needed to make rate in a production part environment where a few seconds per part adds up over time.

If you've go the time before the wife shoots you lol, I used these to set up a chain hoist in my garage.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-channel-trolleys/=yz8ido

I put a piece of unistrut in the attic on top of the rafters, dropped some 1/2" all thread down to the shop ceiling and hung another piece of strut with the mcmaster hangers.

Harbor freight chain fall on the mcmaster trolley has been pretty handy.

ETA curved strut too if you need it. I just used stuff from hd.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-u-channel/=yz8ka7

Edited by kevinj308

Well I didn't pay that exactly. I opted out of the auto tool changer. That was a 4k upgrade. The wife is NOT happy... I had to take a chain saw to the house to get the thing in the door. So now I have to find a hydraulic engine hoist for rent or rig up a pulley system from the trusses. Either way I need to get double doors for the "shop" entrance now.

I did a major renovation to my house a few years back. It occurred to me that my Stil 460 was the perfect tool for the job. When my wife returned she was not impressed with my choice of tool. It all worked out in the end. One nice aspect to this was she was not as shocked when she found out I fixed a hot water radiator with my Lincoln welder without taking it out of the house.?