Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

I don't know the Centroid control, but I know you DO want conversational programming. The ones I know about that are good are: Milltronics (what I have now, they are very good), and Hurco (also very good). The machine still runs on G code, but the programming and editing is much easier than writing G code. When you program or edit the conversational part, the software writes a parallel G code program for you. A real conversational control lets you program toolpaths as opposed to something with a few "wizards" which are just canned cycles for certain operations. About the only thing you can't do with conversational programming is 3D contouring. That is done by making a Cad model, then running it through a Cam post processor which writes the G code for your particular machine control off the Cad model. No one hand writes G code for 3D contouring anyway.

All the different Bridgeport CNC mills had good iron but shaky controls. You wouldn't want the Brideport control even if it worked like new.

If you retrofit a new conversational control you will have a solid machine that is very capable. Here I am assuming the Centroid control is a decent one simply because I don't know one way or the other. Milltronics also sells their control for retrofitting. My Centurion 6 controls are DOS based and use 3-1/2" floppy disk (2001 vintage). They are bulletproof though. The newer ones are Windows based and use flash drives for backup program storage outside the machine.

Edited by Toolguy

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting edge 1982 technology! There is a Mazak expert that lives east of me that helped my friend with his older machine. We shall see. On a side note, I wish I could find Delorean to park beside it.

Edited by bmiller

I found a mill I am looking into.

CNC SUPRA mill 10x45 w computer variable spindle control. From a company called CNC masters.

I'm looking to do small work.

Make slide cuts, make base pads.

Perhaps eventually build 2011 frames.

Small garage business. Tanfoglio Base pads, mail off slide lighting. Barrel porting. Comp fitting. Would this be a good place to start? Or should I be looking for something else. Thank you all.

Please understand this is also mostly for a hobby. I do NOT intend on buying this tomorrow and opening a company the next day. I know a lot of tanfo shooters and would like to one day offer services to them.

Edited by Open1215

The Tormach is the best of the hobby level machines. It has the best support and they just came out with a killer programming system. Get the 1100 not the 770. In machine tools, manual or CNC, more cast iron and more XYZ travel rules. Two guys I know have them and both really like them.

Ok good to know. I'm looking at the parts maker kit. Seems to be everything. I'm going to call them later this week and be sure I will be able to do what I want to with it.

Check out NYCNC and JohnGrimsmo on youtube. Both do a lot of cool stuff with an 1100