Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

3D printing has it's place, although most of the home shop ones don't make very sturdy parts. Basepads, magwells, grips, magazine followers, possibly useable parts. Slides and comps to look at, yes. A comp that would hold up for 10 shots, maybe. Steel parts off the mill and lathe, for sure. Having both is the best. Paying for both at once may be a stretch, but printers have gotten better and more affordable over time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prototype comp in the video is printed out of PLA. Worked great for testing theories, actually has over 100 or more rounds through it. That being said I wouldn't use it in a match. Have printed various cmore mounts, they work ok to test concepts. Pistol comps are a one shot deal, literally. Made a brass frame weight for my M&P using a 3D printed pattern. I have been using it lately for mocking up creations, then milling it out of aluminum. It is a fun and handy item to have. My kids love picking toys off the thingiverse and printing them. Taccom is selling quite a few printered items.

trim.74078FF8-F873-448C-8D72-B4548DFACCE4.MOV

Well I've found a new one as part of a start up they are 350$

Seems like for the price that would be very worth the investment.

As far as comps, again 10 shots to say "hey that works" or wow that's a turd" then cut steel or titanium.

The box is I think 6in X 6in X 3 in range. They are all over Facebook. I will look at the name and see if I can post a link here. I haven't had a chance to do much research on them yet

Well I've found a new one as part of a start up they are 350$

Seems like for the price that would be very worth the investment.

As far as comps, again 10 shots to say "hey that works" or wow that's a turd" then cut steel or titanium.

The box is I think 6in X 6in X 3 in range. They are all over Facebook. I will look at the name and see if I can post a link here. I haven't had a chance to do much research on them yet

Cool!

I wanted to ask. Has anyone here used 3d printing for prototypes? I would think for 10 shot comp testing this would be great! Or to show Ppl with a actual model of a slide/cuts you want to do. For a fraction of the cost of a slide you could have 10 slides all cut to whatever you could want to show off. Plus saving wear and tear on tools. Idk. Even basepad prototypes and grips?

For me I learn as much from the toolpath and work holding experiments as anything else. Maybe I'm just a crappy machinist(good thing its a hobby), but getting it dialed in at least in mdf or aluminum is worth more to me than a prototype in plastic.

I seem to have to tweak the toolpaths enough that it seems like a 3d printer is a bit of a waste of time. The soft stuff doesn't wear out the tools, and MDF, wax, or aluminum is pretty cheap.

That's for parts that need to be machined in the end. some of the folks on here are doing some awesome stuff with printers. That's you Bmiller!

Thanks, just trying to fuel my addiction! On a side note, is anyone going to the Haas/Autodesk open houses around the country on October 14? The closest one to me is a 2 hour drive, I am wondering if it would be worth the time.

Edited by bmiller

This was my latest f360. Slide set up for my limited sight tracker. Limcat inspired. Commander barrel .40 trubore blank 119d4aabc5696fd82e3a7484ebe1c013.jpg

283e986ca1404005d82103b509de9aa9.jpgbd7f2ed6b423e6d72286396a78721eed.jpg2fe14de3b9f6530e22e711bee973cafc.jpg251c4dd85ce53c3a28918115fbffd885.jpg

55ccd141bcb339adf47fc701058d2951.jpg

This was with a different slide to show the general idea.

Raw without the cuts for the sights obviously. I think it will look good.

Going to try with the 6in sight radius. I may trim it a bit for ballance and go 5.75-5.25 see what works. It has a aluminum grip, ck frame.

Edited by Open1215

This was my latest f360. Slide set up for my limited sight tracker. Limcat inspired. Commander barrel .40 trubore blank 119d4aabc5696fd82e3a7484ebe1c013.jpg

283e986ca1404005d82103b509de9aa9.jpgbd7f2ed6b423e6d72286396a78721eed.jpg2fe14de3b9f6530e22e711bee973cafc.jpg251c4dd85ce53c3a28918115fbffd885.jpg

55ccd141bcb339adf47fc701058d2951.jpg

This was with a different slide to show the general idea.

Raw without the cuts for the sights obviously. I think it will look good.

Going to try with the 6in sight radius. I may trim it a bit for ballance and go 5.75-5.25 see what works. It has a aluminum grip, ck frame.

That is going to be an awesome project!! Did you model the whole slide or import the slide from somewhere?

That's for parts that need to be machined in the end. some of the folks on here are doing some awesome stuff with printers. That's you Bmiller!

I second that, Bmiller has really been doing some great things, thanks B!

Sent from the range

I did a "slide blank" build.

Measured the length and height at the longest/tallest spot. Added a bore and a few points for reference. I need to measure the slide I'm using for this build (para not sti like planned due to backorder) and I will adjust the dimensions accordingly to be sure everything is where I would like it to be and not interfering with anything.

It started as a 5in long 2 in tall and just under 1in wide block. Everything was cut out and added from there. No rails or firing pin hole ect. Ect. But it's a nice mock up. Took me about 5 min to go from block to the slide shape. I really enjoy this software.

It looks nice. I'm Glad I got the 1100. The 750 is the same cage. If the 750 had a smaller footprint I may have gotten that but there wasn't any advantage other then cost. Again it looks nice and I'm sure they have a purpose but there's not much of a sm, med, large. You get small, med travel in a lg box or lg in a lg box. Idk. I'm still getting used to the sale system too. Had a 250$ credit for a mess up on there end. Got some extra bits. Order was 270 N change. I check out and email about the credit. I get a email saying 00.00$ ballance item will ship soon. I thing great they just comped the order due to everything that happened. 3 weeks later no parts no email. I check and all orders show complete. I email them and I get a pussy email saying I didn't pay so it didn't ship. Sorry but I get a bill for 0.00$ I don't know how to pay that exactly. O well. I got the parts and mill I need. I may add a auto parts changer and 4th axis later but for now I'm sorta glad to be done. They have dropped the ball many times. In my opinion. Good stuff. Good product. Customer service could be better.

What's everyone's take on the new smaller CNC offered by TorMach now? Only thing I can't get past is the small amount of X travel

Seeing it in action for an x2 up to g0704 size of machine I would have bought this if it were available vs. building my own.

Building your own is a pretty big project, and this seems to have more rigidity in the frame than the above mentioned. That and the very nice enclosure, the ready to go control and electronics, 10k spindle, and pathpilot far out weigh the travel concern. For me there's not a part I can't fit on there. Might I have to rotate the part on the table, sure but I have to do that now sometimes. Everything is a pita on the little guys. This will be less so. Much less so.

The next step up in size is a pretty big one, not only in cost but in space.

ETA this coupled with free Fusion360, wow what a time we live in if you like making stuff.

Edited by kevinj308