Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If u aren't already friendly with something else I'd suggest fusion360 for cad/cam. I'd also suggest starting to play with it while you're waiting for your new toy. It took me a while before I felt like I could draw and make a part with any efficiency.

Onshape is another cad option, and could be paired with the auto desk free cam.

Edited by kevinj308

They've been updating it regularly, it's pretty stable now. There are some outstanding youtubes out there. Curtis chan and Lars Christenson, both auto desk employees, are my favorites for cam stuff.

I'd recommend getting signed up, following the intro you tubes on their website. You might not need a formal classroom.

They've got an excellent forum as well, lots of help there.

Eta the classes will probably be software specific. They all seem pretty different to me anyway.

Edited by kevinj308

Thank you all. I have already learned a TON here. Anyone know of an apple or android (preferably android ) cad system? The kit I got has the computer and some software already but I would like to fiddle a bit and get the basics down on a app for practice.

Plus it will give me something to show my wife to help answer the "you spent how much on what exactly " question

F360 has an app, called A360. Its seems to me its mostly for viewing and making notes. I'm not aware that you can model in it, definitely not cam.

Onshape I don't know, but I thought I read they could model on a tablet.

By "kit" do you mean the Tormach control computer? I don't have one, but I think you're going to want to cad/cam on a separate pc. Both F360 and Onshape are good on Mac or Windows, and since they're cloud based they don't need too much horsepower. No high end graphics cards needed. Pretty much any pc or laptop is fine.

Onshape is completely in the cloud and will run on anything with a browser, including my chromebook, so maybe it will work on a phone/tablet.

F360 needs to install a small program on your pc, and will not run on a chromebook.

Check out both for cad and see what works best for you :)

For cam though its tough to beat the free f360. You can import from any cad you like.

Upper right of the screen is the free for hobbyists download:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy?_ga=1.230322456.503909858.1441845592

Learning page:

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/learning/learning.html?guid=GUID-CC9A8E39-356C-43EA-9EDD-0E9C1321E0F2

Ok good to know. I got the Tormach parts maker kit. I emailed them and was told it had the computer needed as well as software. If that's not the case I'll be picking up a laptop tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

As for now I only have tablets.

Edit to add: I tried to download f360 on my tablet and had no luck. I will look into the others.

Edited by Open1215

I'm not sure how new you are to this. This is all brand new to me, and this website was very helpful.

Nice guy too, have emailed back and forth a couple times. And a shooter!

I bought his speeds and feeds software, just the 1hp version, for like $70. Worth every penny.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCDIYCNCBeginners.html

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCodeCourse.htm

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCDIYCNC.htm

Ok good to know. I got the Tormach parts maker kit. I emailed them and was told it had the computer needed as well as software. If that's not the case I'll be picking up a laptop tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

As for now I only have tablets.

I don't really know, maybe somebody else can chime in here. The Tormach pc will obviously have your machine control software. As I understand it that's now PathPilot which is LinuxCNC based. I use LInuxCNC on my homebuilt and love it!

But I don't know if anything of the cad/cam programs will jive with it. That's a good question for Tormach!

Whether its the one that comes with the Tormach or something else as far as I know you'll need a pc of somekind for cam.

From some youtubes I've seen the PathPilot does have some conversational programming. That means you can probably do some cool stuff with it without any cad/cam. You can also always run the machine with out any programming at all. I'm not trying to imply you need cad/cam right away.You can definitely be cutting metal without cad/cam, it'll just be an awesome manual machine, where you push a button instead of turning a hand wheel and have an accurate DRO built in.

Thank you. I will gladly take evert bit of advice I can get. I'm pretty new to the cad/cam thing. I have a mechanical background and I'm very good at looking and seeing how and why it works. Take it apart, fix it. Ect. I have come up with several ideas for products I have later seen on shelfs and feel like I missed the opportunity.

My primary focus will be guns, but I have contacts in the automotive industry as well as motorcycle. I can't really work on motorcycles any more after I messed up my hand but for smaller stuff I'm good to go.

I'm a mechanic as well, industrial/heavy equipment. One of my greatest fears is losing use of my hands.

You know just have fun with the new machine for a while. You can make anything you would on a manual mill, and much easier, the 3d stuff will come along in time. I'm still learning something new every time I use the machine.

Theres a lot to learn lol. I say that with a smile because its my favorite part of all this.

Whats the lead time on delivery?

I'm not to sure on delivery. I need a lift gate so I don't know. Hopefully I will get more info by the end of the week.

Yes loosing a hand sucks. I was on a test drive and someone ran a stop sign. My left wrist shattered and compressed the nerve. It was paralyzed for 6-8 months. Lots of therapy and 3 surgeries later. I have about 40% strength and 80% use in my left hand. They fused my left wrist too. O well.

I feel like this and 3d printing is the thing of the future really. I can't wait to see what my son will do growing up with one in the garage.

O school science project???

Let's build whatever you can dream of!

That's what I do full time - build whatever I or someone else can dream up. I am running a complete machine shop at home with 2 full size CNC mills plus too much other stuff to list. As you get to know your mill, you will come to appreciate what it can do more and more. It is very liberating to be able to make anything you want. At some point you will want to add a lathe, but you can get by with a manual lathe a lot better than a manual mill. I ran manual Bridgeport mills for others for 30 years. I was really excited to get a CNC mill for sure. It has allowed me to work for myself rather than a slave driver boss.

This will open a new world of possibilities for you. It seems overwhelming at first because there is so much to learn. Start by learning how to move and use the machine manually. You will need to do this for setups and to do simple procedures that you don't want to write a program for. Squaring up a block, drilling a hole, facing an end, etc. I use one of my CNC mills manually about 1/2 the time.

Then learn the basic programming and how to do the common machining operations. This works best when you have a project that needs this type of work because you have a goal to work on and you get to practice doing the same thing a few times. Don't hesitate to do trial parts in wood. It's cheap and a mistake won't cost you as many tools as metal. Once the program is proved out, then go to metal.

After you are comfortable with the machine, learn how to do one new thing per week or month, whatever your schedule allows.

Your only regrets will be not starting sooner. Be safe, have fun!

Thank you. I got a laptop and fusion 360 as recommended. I have learned soooo much. Every time I sit down on the computer it becomes more and more natural for me. I am really looking forward to this.

Thank you for the wood idea! I was thinking about what to use cheap for practice