Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin I'll pay you to make me a spanar wrench for my mil

for the spindle bearings?

I'll make a drawing for you, super easy to make. You have a harbor freight nearby?

Scratch the harbor freight, I just looked the wrenches are too expensive for this. You're gonna need a piece of flat bar 3" wide, .500" thick and whatever long. Maybe 12" or so.

I'll get a drawing going.

Edited by kevinj308

thanks for the vid! great looking parts!

oh if they look good the pictures arent doing their job lol. They are pretty rough.

I think my 3/4" end mill for china just cant give a decent surface finish at useful speed. Going to pick up an insert 3/4" cutter I think. the 1/4" cutter I bought preformed awesome though

thanks for the vid! great looking parts!

oh if they look good the pictures arent doing their job lol. They are pretty rough.

I think my 3/4" end mill for china just cant give a decent surface finish at useful speed. Going to pick up an insert 3/4" cutter I think. the 1/4" cutter I bought preformed awesome though

Check out this video of the Shear Hog. Its on my wish list for sure, I don't have any insert end mills. He's got a great instagram page as well.

There's a 10% Instagram discount if you ask for it.

http://carbide3d.com/blog/2015/how-to-buy-a-haas/

Great write up on what it's like to step up in machine size and some of the considerations involved.

The author is the same guy that makes MeshCam and now a table top cnc machine. He's pretty hip to small cnc, it's cool to read his perspective on becoming a manufacturer of his own parts.

Yes is the short answer.

Mesh is super simple. Pros are its inexpensive, and it's simplicity.

Cons are it only accepts stl or dxf.

None of the more advanced stuff like thread milling or hsm clearing paths. Only accepts two kinds of paths per code post. A rough and a finish. If your part needs more then it's cut and paste time.

I do like it, and I like that I own it outright and its on my PC.

I have it, havent really done more than play in it yet though. Its simple and does alot of the thinking for you so you can get code out really fast, but thats also its downside. I'm a control freak and find that programming each feature individually helps me understand machining more. It is slower than if i just threw the part into meshcam though

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but you guys seem to be on the ball, so I have a question for you. I want to internally lighted a slide for a 9mm 1911, and am trying to find the right tool for the job. I would like to match the internal radius of the slide and remove material forward of the locking lugs down to just before the barrel bushing. I was thinking of mounting the slide vertically and going in from the muzzle end to do it. I don't want to spend a fortune or have a custom tool made up, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to do this.

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but you guys seem to be on the ball, so I have a question for you. I want to internally lighted a slide for a 9mm 1911, and am trying to find the right tool for the job. I would like to match the internal radius of the slide and remove material forward of the locking lugs down to just before the barrel bushing. I was thinking of mounting the slide vertically and going in from the muzzle end to do it. I don't want to spend a fortune or have a custom tool made up, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to do this.

I am by far a pro but I'd try a ball end mill and just make a cut, if it's a bushing barrel then should be easy. If a bull barrel keep enough material to not interfere with the lock up

I am by far a pro but I'd try a ball end mill and just make a cut, if it's a bushing barrel then should be easy. If a bull barrel keep enough material to not interfere with the lock up

I like the confidence!!