Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I would like to try and do a F360 model for a slide top pattern. Something cut in once I tri top. I really like the overlapping 1/2 circles I've seen on a few guns but I'm really having an issue getting the angle set properly for the holes. I would like to do it where I could chuck the slide holder in the vice at the proper angle and let the program go. No manual jog, no mess up on my end. I'll run the program on scrap or wood 1st to be sure.

Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Not CNC related, but anyone mess with 3D printing?

Just got one and am having a blast so far. Maybe we need a spin off thread for 3D printing?

What did you get? I've been looking at them. They look like they would be great for small parts and demos!

What is the work space available and if you don't mind me asking, cost?

I got the Monoprice Maker select which is rebranded and sold under like 5 diff companies. They have them on sale right now for $349 so I figured what the hay. Mine has a print area of roughly 8x8x8 which is pretty big for that little $$

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/13860

Edited by Vanniek71

That's a pretty cool set up. Did it come with a spool? Also I haven't looked at multiple companies, do they all accept the same printing spools? Do they offer a temp setting if you wanted to use a different media?

Machine came with some sample filament, but the MicroCenter filament comes on a spool. This one actually can accept PLA ABS, and a few others. And it's moddable I guess so you can really beef it up.

I'm a super newb, but have been fascinated by these for a while so had to give it a try!

Cool. What software is compatible? I would imagine most of them would work right?

This one came with a micro SD with Cura loaded on it so just using that for now, but yeah you can use many different softwares, which most are open ware and free!

Cool. What software is compatible? I would imagine most of them would work right?

This one came with a micro SD with Cura loaded on it so just using that for now, but yeah you can use many different softwares, which most are open ware and free!

Wow! Yaaaa. Well I guess if it ran over night. Still, doing a grip would be pretty cool I think. Foe flat grips I think I'll stick with the mill but it would be really cool to do an single stack 1911 with honeycomb grip panels. Sorta squishy but not mushy, just enough to flex and dampen recoil it the hand.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to program something like this?19bd278a07010fa17a8b0ecd7df3c740.jpg

The cuts along the side. It seems like it would be done with a larger end mill and only marking 1/2 circles. I've duplicated it manually on scrap but I would love to do a 1911 top on that or something. I would just rather chuck it at whatever angle and let the program chip. I'm just not confident in my concentration to not mess it up manually

You could put it in a vice at the desired angle. Setup drill points with your cam using an endmill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what your saying, set points to be drilled say .5mm deep and chuck it at the desired angle. Over lap the holes at the program and just re index and zero after each pass until desired affect was reached. That would work well but I would still rather have the program do the majority of the work. I guess my concern is not getting the index the same pass after pass.