Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This one is for all 9mm open shooters

a matt

Who builds the most reliable 9mm open?

I could tell you my answer, but I'd be biased ;)

No such concerns here! Matt Cheely built my gun in 9MAJOR and it runs every bit as good or better than any gun out there. As a matter of fact when I read about 9MAJOR issues with ejection, etc all I can do is take their word for it because I just have not experienced any of the perceived drawbacks. I run a traditional upright mount which is supposed to be near impossible with the 9's and it is an absolute non issue. Matt has either perfected the art of taming the 9mm or the problems never really existed. ;)

I guess if 38SC brass was as easy and cheap to come by as 9mm I MIGHT consider switching but that will never be the case. I like shooting a match and enjoying good company while NOT worrying about finding my brass. If I want some brass I just hang around after everything is put away and scoop up all the 9mm I can carry home. And I do not agree that 9MAJOR is for us flunkies while 38SC is for the GM Nationals winning crowd. Mark my words, someday soon 9MAJOR will win the Nationals and that will turn the OPEN community on it's ear.

Call Matt for your 9MAJOR Open gun today! :cheers:

super like :closedeyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old Dawson Signature Series in 38 SC that I had a local gunsmith put in a 9mm Trubor and after a few mag tuning issues, runs 100%. i think most of the 9mm major issues have been worked through. Lots of guys with 100% guns these days. I still pick up my practice brass and you can't re-use it too many times, but it sure is nice to let it lay at a match.

If your goal is to be a top GM in OPEN--go 38SC.

Anything less than that---go 9 Major.

Cost is a major factor in most decisions nowadays and 9 is just cheaper.

What is it about 9mm that would prevent someone from making GM?

I said "TOP GM" which is different from making GM. Nothing would prevent someone from making GM with a 9 Major. In my experience with 9 and 38SC, you can not configure a 9 major gun to shoot as flat and fast as a 38SC.

I ran a Sailors Custom in 9MM Major all last year with zero issues. I just bought a used Razorcat in 38SC and sent a check yesterday to Johny for a 9 conversion slide, barrel, comp. Now ill be able to see which is truley the flattest and has the least dot movement. I think it will be interesting since it will be the same gun.

Will the new 9mm slide, barrel and comp be identical to your 38 Super top end so it will be a fair comparison?

I ran a Sailors Custom in 9MM Major all last year with zero issues. I just bought a used Razorcat in 38SC and sent a check yesterday to Johny for a 9 conversion slide, barrel, comp. Now ill be able to see which is truley the flattest and has the least dot movement. I think it will be interesting since it will be the same gun.

Will the new 9mm slide, barrel and comp be identical to your 38 Super top end so it will be a fair comparison?

From what I understand from Johny-yes.

To me the downside to 9 is a limitation on powder choices due to case volume. The downside to SC is I have to find my SC brass among all the 9 left on the stage by prior shooters. Cost is a wash if you retrieve most of your SC brass. Ejection issues with 9 in well tuned guns seems to be a thing of the past. My guns are SC and I doubt I will change even if they haven't made me a top GM as promised on the Starline website.

You've seen my gun run, and I had no issues with ejection or anything of the sort. Yes......I know its a Glock open gun, but its still a 9mm open gun. The only downside to me is the powder optins i dont have. I've been running Autocomp, and Ive also had some really good results with Silhouette, but i really would like to try VV 3N38. Theres no way I could fit the required amount of powder in a 9 casing to make major. If i stay in a Glock platform, my only real options are to either go to .40, or .357 Sig if I want to go to a different powder.

I do want to go to a 2011 in the near future, but its not that simple for me. I will do it, but I think I will have Dave Wilds build a .38SC when I do go that route. I've shot his guns before and liked them all.

I have a Matt Cheely and it is awesome. Runs flawless. Got it last year and love it. He is VERY responsive to communication and always there to assist and answer questions.

Not much use to me any more though since the communist state of NY banned all mags over 7 rounds and what is the point of a 7 round open gun. Sorry I got off topic I am a little bitter.

Good luck in your search but I would def check out a Cheely gun.

I said "TOP GM" which is different from making GM. Nothing would prevent someone from making GM with a 9 Major. In my experience with 9 and 38SC, you can not configure a 9 major gun to shoot as flat and fast as a 38SC.

Interesting. I guess it begs the question why they would be any different. Could the difference be accounted for by differences in the guns you tested? For example, different compensators, gun weight, etc. That's where jimmcc's comparison would be of interest if the top ends are identical.

There should only be a slight difference in the ammo. With the same gunpowder the 9mm would likely use just slightly less gunpowder for the same velocity - the 9mm has less case capacity, thus it would be like seating the bullet deeper in a 38 Super and you would increase pressure and get more velocity with the same gunpowder charge weight. There would be less gas to run the compensator with 9mm ammo at the same velocity, but only slightly less gas. Or maybe the wider selection of powders for the 38 Super make a difference. Anyway, it seems like an interesting intellectual question.

I'm a lowly C shooter, but I think the only downside to 9 major is powder choice now. Any gunsmith who makes a great .38 will make a great 9. I think a lot of the top GM's get free brass, so why wouldn't they keep with 38?

All the Smiths listed above seem to be all the rage. I don't think one is any better than the other. it's all cosmetic at their level.

What extractors are you guys using with success? Aftec, or just traditional extractors.

Traditional extractors ...... Gah I hate Aftecs! :)

yeah, I am not a big fan of the aftecs. I personally like caspian extractors.

Well you know KC Eusebio, I believe was shooting a caspian 9mm major, and of course now a glock open gun. Jo jo Vidandes, I believe shoot a 9 major. So not all GM's shoot 38sc only

Personally I like the sc cartridge better because of the limitless choices of powder and bullet combinations. But not having to pick up your brass is what makes 9mm attractive, especially if you shoot alot of matches with st augestine grass.

I have several 9 mm Open guns. Two were built by Jim Anglin at Sailors Custom both run with out a hitch since day one. The only things I have replaced in the

guns are recoil springs. My latest gun is a Limcat Flashcat and it also has been perfect from day one. If I had to make the choice again I would definately stay with 9 Major. Prior to the 9 Major guns I shot SV IMMs in 38 Super Comp.

So help us understand. As a "TOP GM" what is the difference the 9 shooters aren't taking advantage of. You say 9's don't shoot as flat and fast. I had one gun that I shot for 2 years as a Super and then I changed the barrel to 9 and shot it for another 2 years and I couldn't tell the difference, but then I'm just a Master at 93%

I have several 9 mm Open guns. Two were built by Jim Anglin at Sailors Custom both run with out a hitch since day one. The only things I have replaced in the

guns are recoil springs. My latest gun is a Limcat Flashcat and it also has been perfect from day one. If I had to make the choice again I would definately stay with 9 Major. Prior to the 9 Major guns I shot SV IMMs in 38 Super Comp.

Yes sir, your guns do run very well. I'm just waiting on the test drive option at SEPSA one month. LOL ! Hope things are going good for you down in Florida,

Alan

What do the TOP GMs say about 9 Major? Do they feel a 9 Major can run as flat and smooth as 38 SC?

I have two Bedell 9 major guns and they work great. With upright C-More mounts, too.

If I had it to do over again I would absolutely stick with 9 major.

Re: extractors, if you have a 9, 38, or 40 and aren't using an Aftec, you are Doing It Wrong

Slightly off topic here but since there is a background story about flattest shooting gun remember that not everyone agrees that flattest is the bestest. I shoot with some very, very top GMs (to reuse the phrase) who do not subscribe to that theory.

I have two Bedell 9 major guns and they work great. With upright C-More mounts, too.

If I had it to do over again I would absolutely stick with 9 major.

Re: extractors, if you have a 9, 38, or 40 and aren't using an Aftec, you are Doing It Wrong

Lol alot of top smiths dont like Aftec extractors..and there guns run forever..I have a limited Fat free by Benny that has never failed, and a Brazos Pro SX that has never failed both have traditional extractors..I thionk caspian...are you saying they are doing something wrong?.

Interesting. I guess it begs the question why they would be any different. Could the difference be accounted for by differences in the guns you tested? For example, different compensators, gun weight, etc. That's where jimmcc's comparison would be of interest if the top ends are identical.

There should only be a slight difference in the ammo. With the same gunpowder the 9mm would likely use just slightly less gunpowder for the same velocity - the 9mm has less case capacity, thus it would be like seating the bullet deeper in a 38 Super and you would increase pressure and get more velocity with the same gunpowder charge weight. There would be less gas to run the compensator with 9mm ammo at the same velocity, but only slightly less gas. Or maybe the wider selection of powders for the 38 Super make a difference. Anyway, it seems like an interesting intellectual question.

I think all those things come into play. The ability to use additional powders in 38S allowing more gas is a big factor. Putting four big blowholes like found in an SV IMM contributes also. You can't get enough powder (like 3N38 or N105) in a 9 case to work the comp like you can in 38S