Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enforcement of 5.2.5 - Distance of Equipment from Body

deacon12224

If a competitor moves or shifts his gear other than at the direction of a range official? Unsportsman like?

Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the "Standby" command

Depends. There's typically some unintentional shifting of my mag pouches when I move from one stage to another -- at least there was when I used a shoulder bag. With a backpack, not so much.....

So I'm aware that could happen. I've only seen one competitor who tried to game it after initially being corrected, and a stern warning from the RM set him onto the straight and narrow....

(Staff corrected his PD gear position prior to his attempt at the first stage, and he showed up at the second with it out of position again. A kinder, gentler RM set him straight. I've tried to emulate that example where I can -- as in when the shooter hasn't already fired a stage out of compliance....)

There's also the whole multi-day match thing -- where the rig clearly comes off in the evening. We're not going to measure with a micrometer, chart and reinspect the next morning, to make sure things are perfectly lined up.....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, from the attached pics, legal or not legal. The holster and gun did not change, only the tape measure. The picture with the tape measure under the belt is to the closest part of the gun, the mag release, and is 1-7/8". The picture showing the top of the belt is measured from the grip panel to the inner belt and it shows 2-1/4".

post-18733-0-75006300-1364697033_thumb.j

post-18733-0-92516800-1364697238_thumb.j

This rule probably gets enforced about as much as the "...arms hanging naturally by the sides..." rule, which is not frequently enough. With the exception of those who are new to this "hobby", people either have reading comprehension problems or are trying to cheat.

Edited by justaute

Grumpy,

I assuming that rig's not on you, but sitting somewhere? After taking those measurements, I'd ask you to put it on, and measure again. Assuming nothing changes, my call would be "not a legal rig."

Thanks, Nik. I will adjust the rig to make it under 2" at the top. I do appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions on how to make it comply?

Edited by GrumpyOne

Has anybody ever been to a USPSA match where rule 6.2.3 was actually used? I have been to IDPA maches where the competitors had to line up at the first stage and have the equipment checked but I have never seen it at a USPSA match. Considering the issues we had at Nationals this year, wouldn't that be a good idea?

6.2.3 Prior to the commencement of a match, each competitor must declare

one Division for score. Match Officials should check holsters and other

competitor equipment for compliance with the declared Division prior

to the competitor making an attempt at any of the courses of fire.

Edited by deacon12224

Example I have a Manny Star Wars holster for open. If i adjust the holster for my gun to fit with the thumrest installed is the body of the gun is more than 2" from the top of the belt. If I measure to the closest point of the thumbrest attached to the gun the measurement is just at 1/2". I am legal measuring to the thumbrest ?

Grumpy,

I assuming that rig's not on you, but sitting somewhere? After taking those measurements, I'd ask you to put it on, and measure again. Assuming nothing changes, my call would be "not a legal rig."

Thanks, Nik. I will adjust the rig to make it under 2" at the top. I do appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions on how to make it comply?

I can't see the pictures really well so I'm not certain what the holster is -- but depending on the attachment, a washer or rubber bumper under the lower attachment point could change the angle of the holster; as could heating and bending Kydex, or attaching a thigh pad to the bottom of the holster.....

Grumpy,

I can't see the pictures really well so I'm not certain what the holster is -- but depending on the attachment, a washer or rubber bumper under the lower attachment point could change the angle of the holster; as could heating and bending Kydex, or attaching a thigh pad to the bottom of the holster.....

Well, heating and bending did not work....I added 3 washers to the lower hanger, and one to the upper. The measurement now at the topis 1-7/8". It is a BladeTech DOH....

post-18733-0-11342300-1364753237_thumb.j

Example I have a Manny Star Wars holster for open. If i adjust the holster for my gun to fit with the thumrest installed is the body of the gun is more than 2" from the top of the belt. If I measure to the closest point of the thumbrest attached to the gun the measurement is just at 1/2". I am legal measuring to the thumbrest ?

Would love an experienced RO/CRO/RM to answer this question , perhaps get it in writing from NROI

Edited by cnote

So would I. Who wants to venture an educated guess on this one.

Thumb rest is attached to the gun, is the nearest body side surface, and is roughly located where the top of the belt is? I'd have to see it to call it, but assuming it could be measured perpendicular to the belt, that could very well fly....

I was measured at the last IPSC World Shoot. They tried to put an overlay (2" wide, natch) between my belt and pistol. Rackers and other things hanging off didn't count. So that's how it is in IPSC.

Not really. When using the Dropped offset, it is very easy to go over 2". A lot of people need to use washers as shims to get inside the 2".

agree. I had to heat/bend my new DOH for my G34 to get w/in the 2". I bet there are a LOT of people running this holster out of the box who never checked and are in violation of the rule.

-rvb

• 2 years later...